Chess Royalty

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Chris Rice

Chess Royalty

Post by Chris Rice » Fri May 01, 2015 9:51 am

I'm informed that congratulations are in order as Ray Keene has been recently made the Count of Torres Vedras in Portugal! He was awarded the title by the Grand Master of the relevant Portuguese Order of Chivalry. I’m afraid I don’t have any other details so I don't know what benefits or perks this may confer but I wonder whether there any other examples of English chess players being elevated to the aristocracy?

Roger de Coverly

Re: Chess Royalty

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri May 01, 2015 10:20 am

Chris Rice wrote:I I wonder whether there any other examples of English chess players being elevated to the aristocracy?
The name of Louis de Veauce springs to mind, as the son of a Baron.

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=5324

Aren't there several chess playing peers, some of whom respectable players in their younger years?

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri May 01, 2015 10:47 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Chris Rice wrote:I I wonder whether there any other examples of English chess players being elevated to the aristocracy?
The name of Louis de Veauce springs to mind, as the son of a Baron.

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=5324

Aren't there several chess playing peers, some of whom respectable players in their younger years?
But isn't the case that de Veauce merely succeeded to a hereditary title and the other peers happened to play chess, whereas Ray Keene was awarded his title because he earned it through his success at chess? Can't think of anyone else like that.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Fri May 01, 2015 12:37 pm

Doesn't this rank alongside his title from Poland - Grand Chevalier of the Stuffed Pigeon, or somesuch?

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri May 01, 2015 1:31 pm

Not quite - Portugal is England's oldest ally, Poland a more recent one.

The name 'Torres Vedras' links Count Ray to Viscount Arthur, the Iron Duke.

His dark star is rising in the murky world of the pseudo-nobility -

http://www.knightrealms.com/the-baronia ... ility.html

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri May 01, 2015 1:40 pm

David Robertson wrote:Doesn't this rank alongside his title from Poland - Grand Chevalier of the Stuffed Pigeon, or somesuch?
Officer of the Companiate of the White Swan

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri May 01, 2015 6:25 pm

Is there a link for Ray's Portuguese title?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri May 01, 2015 6:27 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
David Robertson wrote:Doesn't this rank alongside his title from Poland - Grand Chevalier of the Stuffed Pigeon, or somesuch?
Officer of the Companiate of the White Swan
Indeed
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat May 02, 2015 10:44 am

Is this claim - that RDK has become the Count of Torres Vedras - really genuine?

It appears that the title - Count of Torres Vedras - is well-established and bonafide.

It is one, hereditary, subsidiary title of the Marquis of Lavradio originally, and still, held by the Portuguese d'Almeida family.

Interestingly, the original Duke of Wellington and, I believe, his successors held/hold the Portuguese title Marquis of Torres Vedras - superior to that of Count.

... the Duke of Wellington was also Prince of Waterloo in the Netherlands, Duke of Cuidad Rodrigo in Spain and Duke of Vittoria, Marquess of Torres Vedras and Count of Vimeira in Portugal.

http://www.antique-silver.biz/nelson.htm

Can Chris Rice reveal the source of this potentially ignoble news?

PS I am currently listening to Lord Norman Lamont being quizzed by staunchly republican Ken Livingstone on LBC - "we are all prisoners of our own experience". Charles I could have used that one in his defence.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sat May 02, 2015 11:55 am

John McKenna wrote:Is this claim - that RDK has become the Count of Torres Vedras - really genuine?

Can Chris Rice reveal the source of this potentially ignoble news?
I haven't been given permission to name the source yet John but you can be assured its totally reliable. I have though been asked to point out that the link Justin posted to the Polish title includes a photo of what purports to be Prince Marek. Actually, the guy in the photo is not Ray's pal at all, it is someone totally different (no idea who though).

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat May 02, 2015 12:14 pm

Thanks for your prompt, reliable and honest reply, Chris.
At least he didn't go for the title Count of Monte Cristo, but could he qualify as the Marquis of Mountebanks?

Not surprised to hear that the Polish nobility are making a comeback.
Regards to Prince Marek, whoever he may be.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat May 02, 2015 8:56 pm

Thought at first this might be a thread about Prince Dadian of Mingrelia :)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sat May 02, 2015 10:41 pm

Chris Rice wrote: ... I have though been asked to point out that the link Justin posted to the Polish title includes a photo of what purports to be Prince Marek.
There’s no photo in the blog post that the link takes you to Chris. There is a video clip though. And a screen shot of a RDK tweet.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sun May 03, 2015 4:02 am

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Chris Rice wrote: ... I have though been asked to point out that the link Justin posted to the Polish title includes a photo of what purports to be Prince Marek.
There’s no photo in the blog post that the link takes you to Chris. There is a video clip though. And a screen shot of a RDK tweet.
Thanks Jon for the clarification. I think that the screenshot above the tweet that contains three photos (with the middle photo of some guy wearing an expensive suit and medals) with a caption underneath containing reference to Prince Marek is the one being referred to (apologies if I didn't make that clear) and it does look a bit misleading if it isn't him don't you agree? However, I do take your point Jon and as His Grace had not requested an immediate retraction or even an amendment I leave it to Justin's discretion as to whether he wishes to do anything about it.

http://streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.c ... -swan.html

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun May 03, 2015 6:47 am

Chris Rice wrote:
Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Thanks Jon for the clarification. I think that the screenshot above the tweet that contains three photos (with the middle photo of some guy wearing an expensive suit and medals) with a caption underneath containing reference to Prince Marek is the one being referred to ....
Chris, you’ve lost me. There is no screenshot in the post above the tweet (or anywhere else). There is a Youtube video clip but there’s no caption to that clip.