Cheating in chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Cheating in chess

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:25 pm

Allegations are sometimes made that Ukraine is a part of the world where titles have been manufactured.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:01 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:03 pm
Back to the question raised above of players deliberately losing strings of online games, for whatever reason. I played this game earlier, which didn't amuse me overmuch. I kept an eye on my opponent and as I write these have been his eight most recent games. Oh, in between those, and my game, there was this one, where he did the same but his opponent resigned rather than have a timewaster spoil any of their day. So that's ten in a row.

Just to add to the general oddness, if his profile is to be believed he's an International Master.
Mouse slips I imagine

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:48 pm

People who have followed the Anand simul scandal may be interested in this remarkable statement.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:03 pm

Disgusting. I don't think it was ever intended as a joke, it really felt like powerful, self entitled ***** wanting to have fun at the expense of titled players.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:09 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:48 pm
People who have followed the Anand simul scandal may be interested in this remarkable statement.
Justin, I am not always your greatest fan (see threads, passim) but the contrast between Chess.com's treatment of you and their reaction to Mr Kamath would be astonishing if it were not so predictable.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:15 pm

The story seems to be that Anand gave a charity simul against some rich people, The chess.com engine finder appears to have claimed engine use in some(one?) of the games. As a consequence chess.com banned the account(s) but then changed their mind.

I doubt over the board charity simuls are treated with the same rigour as normal play, so if participants in an Anand OTB simul were receiving advice from spectators, I doubt anything would be made of it.

Joseph Conlon

Post by Joseph Conlon » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:31 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:15 pm
The story seems to be that Anand gave a charity simul against some rich people, The chess.com engine finder appears to have claimed engine use in some(one?) of the games. As a consequence chess.com banned the account(s) but then changed their mind.

I doubt over the board charity simuls are treated with the same rigour as normal play, so if participants in an Anand OTB simul were receiving advice from spectators, I doubt anything would be made of it.
I don't think there's much 'appears' to it as the billionaire in question has admitted computer use.

You might want to take a look at the game - not many players could win against Anand with Black starting from 1. Nf3 e5 (!)

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:36 pm

And we are talking about players with a strength of 800 on chess.com

You should see the post mortem video which is full of arrogance, and you can see Anand trying to smile and stay polite. Carlsen or Kasparov would have gone berserk at that point, if not before.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:01 pm

The amusing thing about this is that five million Zerodha customers rely totally on the honesty of the firm in not abusing their orders, which is always easy to do. What will they be thinking now?

I doubt that Nithin Kamath, the brains of the outfit, is very pleased with his little brother.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:23 pm

Somebody did well, but the glory might be a bit fleeting;
http://chess-results.com/tnr561487.aspx?lan=1&art=4

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:49 am

I find it sad to have to recount the following experience. One of our leading 8-year-olds was pleased to find, in a recent online club match, that he was due to play a Candidate Master - a good experience for him. He lost and initially thought nothing more of it. A couple of months later, the CM [whom I'll refer to here as "MW"] was flagged by Lichess for violating its terms and conditions. So the parent looked back and noted that, of MW's 23 online games, he had won 21 and drawn 2 - giving a ECF rating performance very much better than his ECF OTB rating. I wouldn't want to jump to conclusions but I'm trying to find an alternative explanation other than have to tell our youngsters that there are titled players around who will cheat even when playing small children. How disillusioning would that be and what sort of example would it set?

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:33 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:49 am
I find it sad to have to recount the following experience. One of our leading 8-year-olds was pleased to find, in a recent online club match, that he was due to play a Candidate Master - a good experience for him. He lost and initially thought nothing more of it. A couple of months later, the CM [whom I'll refer to here as "MW"] was flagged by Lichess for violating its terms and conditions. So the parent looked back and noted that, of MW's 23 online games, he had won 21 and drawn 2 - giving a ECF rating performance very much better than his ECF OTB rating. I wouldn't want to jump to conclusions but I'm trying to find an alternative explanation other than have to tell our youngsters that there are titled players around who will cheat even when playing small children. How disillusioning would that be and what sort of example would it set?
I think you’re right. At a time when there might be a bit of an online chess boom occurring for juniors, there is still a lot of online fair play violations going on. There’s a bit of a lack of role models, although Keith Arkell seems to be doing an excellent job. You’d hope the level of violations
might be easing off somewhat like Covid-19, but last weekend it still seemed pretty rampant with both leaders of the Online 4NCL Congress and the ECF Online Rapid Grand Prix having their wings clipped.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:42 pm

Roger, Matt . There are various scenarios.
MW may have made a sudden spurt in chess playing strength. That is quite common, he won't have played live for over a year.
We don't know why MW was flagged.
It may be a pseudonym. There may be two people both MW.
How does a player get a CM title online on Lichess?
ETC.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:46 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:33 pm
might be easing off somewhat like Covid-19, but last weekend it still seemed pretty rampant with both leaders of the Online 4NCL Congress and the ECF Online Rapid Grand Prix having their wings clipped.
The winners of the 9th 4NCL Online Congress have still to be announced. That's almost a week since it took place.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:57 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:42 pm
How does a player get a CM title online on Lichess?
I assume RL meant that the player had identified himself or herself to lichess as having the CM title awarded by FIDE and had it added to their profile.

(The CM title is awarded on application for achieving a FIDE rating of 2200 or higher. In addition, some CM (and FM) titles have been given for performances in official FIDE events, notably Olympiads)