Cheating in chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Ian Thompson

Re: Cheating in chess

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:14 pm

I see that one of the players in the 4NCL Online Autumn Congress who reached 4/4 is now shown on chess-results with 0/4 and not paired in the remaining rounds. His games are not on lichess when you look through his opponent's results for them, so I assume his lichess account has been closed. They have been published in The Week in Chess though, so anyone curious can play through them.

Pete Heaven

Post by Pete Heaven » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:03 pm

Not his first closed account this year.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:13 am

Ian Thompson wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:14 pm
I see that one of the players in the 4NCL Online Autumn Congress who reached 4/4 is now shown on chess-results with 0/4 and not paired in the remaining rounds. His games are not on lichess when you look through his opponent's results for them, so I assume his lichess account has been closed. They have been published in The Week in Chess though, so anyone curious can play through them.
Are the same games on the 4NCL pgn download?
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:27 am

Ian Thompson wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:14 pm
Seems he played my son, so still have access to the game.
Lichess annotations.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:44 am

Adam Raoof wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:13 am

Are the same games on the 4NCL pgn download?
You can get the games on chess-results, all 4 games are there.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:41 pm

Wadih Khoury wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:27 am
Seems he played my son, so still have access to the game.
I played him over the board at Exeter in March

John Swain

Post by John Swain » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:18 pm

Neville Twitchell wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:40 am
Regarding the Lichess website, though it is not strictly relevant to the question of cheating, there are some slightly odd features.
Another feature that often irritates is the tendency to be told that "letting time run out rather than resigning" can lead to a temporary suspension. I have been given this reprimand several times, none of them occasions where I had deliberately let time run out, but simply had very little time left in a difficult position. I have never actually been suspended, so I don't' know how often one has to trangress before a suspension is actually imposed (if it ever is) and whether anyone has been suspended on that basis, but I would be interested to know the algorithm that determines whether this is imposed.
I have just experienced a ludicrous example of this when, after taking several seconds for the penny to drop that I couldn't avoid being mated, resigned with 3.8 seconds left, only to be admonished with "letting time run out will result in a temporary ban."

If situations like this can arise, why should anyone trust the lichess platform to get more important issues like anti-cheating correct?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:50 pm

Fantastically, I have just been barred by chess.com again.

I have received the following email:
Hello Justinpatzer

Unfortunately your Chess.com account has been closed because we have determined it to be in violation of our Fair Play Policy. https://www.chess.com/community

We are always sad when we close any account. We want everyone to be able to enjoy chess. However, we must protect the integrity of the game and cannot allow players to use outside assistance in their games (advice from other players, chess engines/computers, etc). We hope you understand that we work hard to keep Chess.com a safe, fair, and positive community for chess players around the world.

We would like to offer you the chance to open a second account. If you will agree to following our Fair Play Policy, we will allow you to sign up for a second account. If you will agree to follow these rules, please reply to this email and we will help you set up a new account.

Thank you,
Chess.com Support
[email protected]
What's fantastic about this is that since my account was reinstated, I have played literally no games whatsoever on chess.com.

How do you violate a Fair Play policy without actually playing?

I guess I'll see if I can find out.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:57 pm

"We hope you understand that we work hard to keep Chess.com a safe, fair, and positive community for chess players around the world."

Doesn't sound like it...

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:02 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:50 pm

Perhaps they have a "policy" that you have to be active to maintain your rating and it's "not Fair" if you don't.
Presumably your old games are still present and if they reran the same dodgy investigation from first time round, they would come up with the same result.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:07 pm

My email:
Dear Chess.com Support

Thank you ever so much for your email informing me that I have violated your Fair Play Policy.

As I have not played on your site in thirteen months, I would be extremely interested to learn how I have violated your Fair Play Policy without actually playing.

I write in confidence of receiving a full and convincing explanation and an appropriate apology.

All the best

Justin Horton

(Justinpatzer)
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:12 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:50 pm
Fantastically, I have just been barred by chess.com again.

I have received the following email:
Hello Justinpatzer

Unfortunately your Chess.com account has been closed because we have determined it to be in violation of our Fair Play Policy. https://www.chess.com/community

We are always sad when we close any account. We want everyone to be able to enjoy chess. However, we must protect the integrity of the game and cannot allow players to use outside assistance in their games (advice from other players, chess engines/computers, etc). We hope you understand that we work hard to keep Chess.com a safe, fair, and positive community for chess players around the world.

We would like to offer you the chance to open a second account. If you will agree to following our Fair Play Policy, we will allow you to sign up for a second account. If you will agree to follow these rules, please reply to this email and we will help you set up a new account.

Thank you,
Chess.com Support
[email protected]
What's fantastic about this is that since my account was reinstated, I have played literally no games whatsoever on chess.com.

You've got our support on this, Justin.
I don't know much about Chess.com, but, there might be two other reasons:
1. Your account might have been hacked. Have you checked the security protocols.
2. I play against the computer on Chess.com on my smartphone. A couple of days ago, I downloaded an app update for Chess.com. There was a number of new features. Perhaps there was a bug or glitch.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:18 pm

Presumably they did some sort of update and the account got flagged up again (I was on chess.com earlier today and the site looked slightly different) - it happens to me all the time on bookmakers sites, I've got ones I have long since been banned from that re ban me periodically, but I tend to just find it amusing that they are so sloppy then feel the need to demand an appology.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:33 pm

Just looked at my app library. According to my phone the last update was 21st October. It comes under Chess- Play and Learn.
It says at the top of the update:
"Hey Chess lovers! This is a BIG one! Here is what's new.
We have lots of new features......"

Harry Duff

Post by Harry Duff » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:54 pm

"Lots of new features ..... but we have retained the feature which accuses people of cheating when they haven't."