Why doesn't Anand play in the Olympiads?
- MJMcCready
- Posts: 4417
- Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm
Why doesn't Anand play in the Olympiads?
Hi all, so as the title suggests, my question is 'Why doesn't Anand play in the Olympiads?' Is it something to do with protecting his rating? I've heard him speak many times about his pride at inspiring the younger generation to come through in his country and turn it into a major force in the chess playing world yet he never represents his country...or hasn't for some time now.
- Matt Mackenzie
- Posts: 6383
- Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
- Location: Millom, Cumbria
Re: Why doesn't Anand play in the Olympiads?
Haven't the last few occasions been close to his WC matches?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)
- MJMcCready
- Posts: 4417
- Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm
Re: Why doesn't Anand play in the Olympiads?
Possibly but his opponent played at Tromso, so Anand could have also.
-
Niall Doran
- Posts: 255
- Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:36 pm
Re: Why doesn't Anand play in the Olympiads?
I think it would have been very difficult for Carslen to refuse to play on home turf, especially considering he gets quite a bit of media attention in Norway.
- Matt Mackenzie
- Posts: 6383
- Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
- Location: Millom, Cumbria
Re: Why doesn't Anand play in the Olympiads?
And his form at that event was distinctly patchy, somewhat unsurprisingly.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)
-
Arshad Ali
- Posts: 704
- Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:27 pm
Re: Why doesn't Anand play in the Olympiads?
Anand's getting on a bit and unlike Carlsen, who's twenty years younger, has to husband his declining reservoirs of stamina.MJMcCready wrote:Possibly but his opponent played at Tromso, so Anand could have also.
- JustinHorton
- Posts: 10565
- Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
- Location: Somewhere you're not
Re: Why doesn't Anand play in the Olympiads?
Of course simply Googling Anand Olympiads provides some useful links, including this one.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."
-
Stephen Saunders
- Posts: 59
- Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:35 pm
Re: Why doesn't Anand play in the Olympiads?
Anand was a 17-yo IM when he first played top board for India in an Olympiad (Dubai 1986). ISTR he had scored his first-ever win against a GM (Jon Mestel!) around the same time. Anybody might think that 20 years of playing Olympiads is enough, give the younger guys a chance, etc
Larsen was another top player who disliked Olympiads, as I recall.
Larsen was another top player who disliked Olympiads, as I recall.
- MJMcCready
- Posts: 4417
- Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm
Re: Why doesn't Anand play in the Olympiads?
Yes, I am aware that he played in them in his youth, I just wondered why he stopped.
-
Brian Towers
- Posts: 1266
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:23 pm
Re: Why doesn't Anand play in the Olympiads?
Rumor has it that there is some seriously hard partying which goes on at these events. Maybe he just can't take the pace like he did when he was younger? Does he still drink pints? Or is he down to halves?
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.