Page 1 of 4

Richmond Rapidplays

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:36 pm
by Paul McKeown
Dear All,

Richmond Junior Chess Club is considering restarting the Richmond Rapidplays. We are aware that there has been a severe disruption in the service provided, and promise that such unhappy eventualities will not arise under our new management.

We need to establish the level of interest in restarting what was once a very popular successful event; could people please let us know if they would like to take part, or whether they think that the event has seen its day?

We would also like to know if anyone has paid for entry to one of the last two events, and not received a refund. If so, we would be happy to provide free entry to our new service, even though the debt is not our own, nor of our making, either. A little goodwill can go a long way, though.

Finally, is anyone aware of what happened the equipment before Sabrina took over? We understand that part of her problem was that she had to hire equipment (which lead to difficulties), however we also know that at some point before that that the equipment was all fully owned and available.

Thanks!

Re: Richmond Rapidplays

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:44 pm
by Colin Purdon
I for one would welcome its return, and would probably play 2-3 times per year.

Re: Richmond Rapidplays

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:45 pm
by Mike Gunn
Yes, I would also play in about 3 events per year.

Susan Lalic ran the event before Sabrina and she used to bring sets and boards. Some of these may have been Surrey sets and boards (she was SCCA equipment curator at the time) but I think she had another source of equipment too. Mike Adams and I used to lend her digital clocks (and she eventually bought my clocks from me).

If you want to use Surrey equipment we could do this on the basis of either a very reasonable hire charge or a share of the profit/ loss from the event (if you need arbiting/ controlling help too). The Surrey equipment is stored at Ashtead so you may find a more convenient (i.e. local to Richmond) source of equipment.

Re: Richmond Rapidplays

Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:21 pm
by Martin Crichton
I would hope to play 1st or twice a year

Re: Richmond Rapidplays

Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:23 pm
by Martin Crichton
I would hope to play Once or twice a year

Re: Richmond Rapidplays

Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:20 pm
by Jonathan Bryant
Paul McKeown wrote:... could people please let us know if they would like to take part, or whether they think that the event has seen its day?
Delighted to hear Richmond may be restarting. DOn’t see any reason to think it’s "had it’s day" as you put it.

I was just thinking I wanted to try to play more rapid plays this year so I’ll be along if you do organise something.

Re: Richmond Rapidplays

Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:30 pm
by Francis Fields
I always enjoyed playing in the Richmond rapidplays though have not done so for a few years. The only problem that I found was that the trains were not very frequent on a Sunday.

Re: Richmond Rapidplays

Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:39 pm
by Hans Hansen
Great idea. I much prefer Sundays to Saturdays. I would probably play 3-4 times a year and bring one or both of my sons along to play as well.

Re: Richmond Rapidplays

Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:19 pm
by Adam Raoof
I would certainly play, as I seem to need the practice!

Re: Richmond Rapidplays

Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:14 pm
by Stephen Moss
Excellent idea to restart the event. I would play in most of them. Any chance of a weekender as well? We could do with some down here in south-west London. Plenty of clubs and plenty of players who can get behind this. Whenever I used to play in the tournament, there was invariably a good turn-out, and the venue (assuming you will resume there) is very good. I was very surprised when it was discontinued as it seemed to have lots of life left in it. Look forward to the series starting again.

Re: Richmond Rapidplays

Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:59 am
by JustinHorton
Well, it wasn't cancelled for lack of interest.

Re: Richmond Rapidplays

Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:10 pm
by Kevin Thurlow
"Whenever I used to play in the tournament, there was invariably a good turn-out, and the venue (assuming you will resume there) is very good."

Whilst I agree, I got the impression that the same venue might not be available...

Re: Richmond Rapidplays

Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:42 pm
by JustinHorton
Good Lord. Why would that be?

Re: Richmond Rapidplays

Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:26 pm
by Mike Gunn
I understand the same venue could be used if certain conditions are met (prepayment of hire fee).

Re: Richmond Rapidplays

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:33 pm
by Alex Brett
I would be keen to enter the minor section at least 3 times a year along with two friends. We used to attend the event regularly and really miss it.