Chess.Com getting sued.

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Joseph Conlon

Re: Chess.Com getting sued.

Post by Joseph Conlon » Tue May 05, 2020 10:09 am

John Hodgson wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:28 pm

Quite a few refugees from the OTB world started out at 1500 and have played each other (I have sunk to below 1400). The amount of theory in these games might be more than expected of a 1500, even if there is no other evidence of cheating. I do not know whether this would be sufficient on its own to result in a player being banned.
This works in the other direction as well - as many juniors have opened up accounts on lichess etc and have then played in all-junior arenas with everyone starting at 1500, with a result that their ratings become artificially high as they are not playing against the general pool of players. On one chess variant on lichess, my son at one point had the same rating I did, despite a difference of over 130 in our ECF grades.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Tue May 05, 2020 4:12 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:49 pm
... it’s entirely understandable why they (and others) would adopt the "Nothing to do with us" shoulder shrug response and just contract out the cheating detection to the host sites. I suspect, however, that this attitude will sooner or later be tested and found wanting.

I hadn’t realised that there’s already been reported issues with the 4NCL online games. I stumbled across the thread in the 4NCL section this morning - what’s being described is exactly what I had in mind.

Since I’m here I should take the opportunity to clarify what I said in the quoted section in case of misunderstanding. WHen I wrote "understandable" I meant that it’s not difficult to see why they’d take the position they have. Not that it’s reasonable. WHich i don’t think it is. Not by a long way.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue May 19, 2020 5:44 pm

Is this statement from chess.com new, or is it me that's just not noticed it before?
chess.com wrote: Important Note: You may be subject to random proctoring during any round of the [Titled Tuesday] tournament. If a Chess.com staff member attempts to begin a chat with you between rounds and provides you with a Zoom link, you must comply or you will be removed from the tournament and may be subject to further fair play actions.
Lucky that I don't want to play in this because I don't use Zoom.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Tue May 19, 2020 5:47 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:44 pm
Is this statement from chess.com new, or is it me that's just not noticed it before?
chess.com wrote: Important Note: You may be subject to random proctoring during any round of the [Titled Tuesday] tournament. If a Chess.com staff member attempts to begin a chat with you between rounds and provides you with a Zoom link, you must comply or you will be removed from the tournament and may be subject to further fair play actions.
Lucky that I don't want to play in this because I don't use Zoom.
"proctoring"?! that sounds like it could be quite invasive...
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue May 19, 2020 9:32 pm

""proctoring"?! that sounds like it could be quite invasive..."

Yes - it is an American term. You should inform chess.com that vulgar Americanisms are inherently repellent and that they will henceforth converse only in proper English, if they expect any decent person to respond.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Tue May 19, 2020 11:13 pm

It is awful and denies us of our basic human right to go to the toilet or open the door to get some air.

I apologise at wfh each time I miss an unscheduled call.