Page 1 of 2

Energy drinks during a game

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:23 am
by stevencarr
One problem for the less young player such as myself is tiredness during a game.

So I had a Red Bull during the game.

This seemed to make my play very twitchy, and didn't seem to help my concentration much. I had more energy, but wasn't as focused or clear.

Any other suggestions? The good old fashioned banana?

Re: Energy drinks during a game

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:50 am
by Joey Stewart
I like to take paracetamol plus pills - they have caffine in and also are a pre emptive strike against any headaches that might creep in later on in the session of play.

They work pretty well for me, I don't know why more people don't take painkillers.

Re: Energy drinks during a game

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:32 pm
by Reg Clucas
For evening games, I find an afternoon nap is quite useful.

Other than that, the old favourite caffeine is probably best. Energy drinks are more suited to physical rather than mental effort.

Re: Energy drinks during a game

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:36 pm
by Mike W. Richardt
I usually have a chocolate bar during the game plus coffee and/or some water
Joey Stewart wrote:I like to take paracetamol plus pills
What kind of pills apart from Paracetamol are we talking here? As a Staff Nurse I am now quite concerned about your health!!! :shock: :o

Re: Energy drinks during a game

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:35 pm
by John Curtis
Beer

Re: Energy drinks during a game

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:41 pm
by Dan O'Dowd
Mike, Paracetamol Plus basically is the normal job plus about 8mg of caffeine and a few vitamin bits chucked on. I've never taken anything like that personally but then I get migraines so I have to be extremely judicious with my use of co-codamol, because I take beta-blockers daily to prevent things in the first place.

I think its a case of know your body. Reg for example seems to get more benefit physically out of energy drinks than mental, though this is curious since he also swears by caffeine - perhaps it's simply a case that he knows his ideal dose. I had a very tense game in the final round of a league up here in April, and I'd had some lucozade beforehand, but also bought a Red Bull partway through. My concentration was absolute in that game - I was playing very patchily, missing some basics in tactics but thinking plenty, and it helped a lot, though I'll also tell you that about an hour after the red bull, I had a pint as well, and was in full flow by then so it only amplified my confidence after the crisis.

In the past I'd often get up an hour before a match, and eat some junk food and have a load of energy drink. This was all well and good but I found I was actually playing stronger after the game which was quite disturbing though on occasion gave me some really great annotation time. I prefer not to eat too much beforehand, but it varies too - sometimes I can eat a very carb heavy meal and suddenly be calculating through time and space, other times I eat not very much and feel mentally blocked. At the British you'll see me with energy drinks at the board in every game though. I was having about 3-4 daily last year and it worked a treat along with plenty of water and a good lunch. Somehow when I've had lots of sugar and caffeine although it doesn't always work, on some occasions that just seems to unleash me into a 110% calculator.

Re: Energy drinks during a game

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:08 pm
by Alan Burke
"I usually have a chocolate bar during the game plus coffee and/or some water."
" ... you'll see me with energy drinks at the board in every game ..."

Only of course if bought at the venue !!!

Re: Energy drinks during a game

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:22 pm
by Dan O'Dowd
Oh yes, vending machines are my friend don't worry about that. Last year I found a lovely corner shop that was selling cans of Rockstar (which has blueberry, and mango/passionfruit flavours) for 99p a tin, so that helped as well since it was about 5-10 minutes from the venue.

Re: Energy drinks during a game

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:31 pm
by Stewart Reuben
THINK DRINK was launched this month and has been designed for this very purpose.
The company is sponsoring the Bullet Chess Challenge and the Champion of Champions at the 100th British Chess Championships.

Re: Energy drinks during a game

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:26 pm
by Reg Clucas
Dan O'Dowd wrote: Reg for example seems to get more benefit physically out of energy drinks than mental, though this is curious since he also swears by caffeine
I didn't say that! I don't use energy drinks at all, despite the fact that I take part in some fairly strenuous sports. There's no substitute for eating properly. As for caffeine, its 'keep awake' properties are well known.

Re: Energy drinks during a game

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:21 pm
by Gavin Strachan
If you are tired energy drinks only will mask it and give a temporary kick. Sleep and fluids. The first is generally impossible to do if you are zooming around after work to get to a match!

Re: Energy drinks during a game

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:15 pm
by Nevil Chan
John Curtis wrote:Beer
...followed by more beer. :mrgreen:

Re: Energy drinks during a game

Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:51 pm
by Greg Breed
Nevil Chan wrote:
John Curtis wrote:Beer
...followed by more beer. :mrgreen:
...and preferably washed down with another ;)

Re: Energy drinks during a game

Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:26 pm
by William Metcalfe
Proplus tablets have helped me in the past when my illness has caused me to have sleepless nights during a chess torny

Re: Energy drinks during a game

Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:28 am
by David Robertson
Personally I hit on some smack. It just about gets me through the game. Afterwards I celebrate with a decent bottle of Chablis