Chess played in England (statistics)
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:19 pm
Does anyone know of, or have access to, a suitable summary or set of data for the amount of chess played in England in a typical season, with locations and so forth? I know that overall data is available for the number of graded games, but was wondering whether in addition to that there is any breakdown by regions, leagues, congresses, other competitions (e.g. the 4NCL and county championships) and clubs?
The reason I'm asking is to get a feel for the most active areas of chess. Not in terms of organisation or visibility, but purely in terms of number of organised competitive chess games played under the aegis of particular organisations. I know this will neglect the social side of things, but I'm not sure if any summary of this sort has been done. I know there is that website that lists lots of chess clubs and leagues, but I can't remember if it attempts to list number of players and games per season.
http://www.gtryfon.demon.co.uk/bcc/Uk_c ... ations.htm
That is useful, but not the site I was thinking of. Ah, here it is:
http://mjh.orpheusweb.co.uk/chingland/cframe.htm
That has a series of 'snapshots', an attempt to see what the size of various leagues were over time:
http://mjh.orpheusweb.co.uk/chingland/snap07.htm
http://mjh.orpheusweb.co.uk/chingland/snap08.htm
http://mjh.orpheusweb.co.uk/chingland/snap09.htm
http://mjh.orpheusweb.co.uk/chingland/snap10.htm
It is something like that I am after, a picture of the state of chess in the UK at various points in time (though mostly now, as most data will be current, hopefully).
One of the questions I hope might be answered is an idea of the numbers of games the larger clubs organise over a season. King's Head and Drunken Knights and Hendon I think are three such in London. Others have multiple teams in multiple leagues, but I'm not sure of the exact numbers.
To take the example of the two local leagues I play in, the Thames Valley League and London League, I think the (anticipated) numbers over all divisions for the 2012-13 season are as follows.
Thames Valley League
http://www.thamesvalleychess.org/index.html
Five divisions. Each division has home and away double-round fixtures.
TVL division 1 - 8 teams, 7 clubs, 8 boards, each team plays 14 matches, 56 matches and 448 games in total.
TVL division 2 - 8 teams, 7 clubs, 7 boards, each team plays 14 matches, 56 matches and 392 games in total.
TVL division 3 - 7 teams, 6 clubs, 6 boards, each team plays 12 matches, 42 matches and 252 games in total.
TVL division 4 - 6 teams, 6 clubs, 6 boards, each team plays 10 matches, 30 matches and 180 games in total.
TVL division 5 (division X) - 6 teams, 6 clubs, 4 boards, each team plays 10 matches, 30 matches and 120 games in total.
Overall for the Thames Valley League, 35 teams and 13 clubs. Total number of games is 1392.
The clubs are (number of teams in square brackets): Richmond [5], Ealing [3], Ealing Juniors [2], Wimbledon [4], Kingston [2], Surbiton [4], Maidenhead [2], Hammersmith [1], Harrow [3], Hayes [2], Hounslow [3], Staines [2], Meadhurst [2]. That is 13 clubs, or 12 if you consider Ealing Juniors part of Ealing (the amount of separation between such clubs varies, some clubs have juniors in their teams without running separate junior teams).
London League
http://www.londonchess.com/
Six divisions. All teams play each other once.
LL division 1 - 12 teams, 10 clubs, 12 boards, 66 matches, 792 games
LL division 2 - 13 teams, 13 clubs, 10 boards, 78 matches, 780 games
LL division 3 - 13 teams, 12 clubs, 10 boards, 78 matches, 780 games
LL division 4 - 12 teams, 12 clubs, 8 boards, 66 matches, 528 games
LL division Major - 7 teams, 7 clubs, 4 boards, 21 matches, 84 games
LL division Minor - 7 teams, 7 clubs, 4 boards, 21 matches, 84 games
Overall for the London League, 64 teams and 29 clubs. Total number of games is 3048.
The clubs are (number of teams in square brackets): Albany [1], Athenaeum [3], Battersea [3], Beckenham & Charlton [1], Cavendish [4], DHSS [2], Drunken Knights [3], Dulwich [2], East Ham [1], Greater London [4], Hackney [5], Hammersmith [3], Ilford [1], Imperial College [1], Kings Head [5], Lewisham [1], London Deaf [1], Metropolitan [5], Morley College [2], Mushrooms [2], Pimlico (HO&J) [1], Richmond & Twickenham [1], Streatham & Brixton [3], Wanstead & Woodford [3], West London [1], Willesden & Brent [1], Wimbledon [2], Woodbridge [1], Wood Green [1].
How do the above two compare to other leagues around the country?
Would anyone be able to supply similar statistics (number of teams, number of clubs, number of boards, and number of games) for other team competitions and leagues (remembering that number of boards does not equal number of players, and number of teams does not equal number of clubs), and number of players and games for congresses? I suppose some of the data is in the grading database somewhere, but the detailed breakdown by club is rarely possible as individual players are listed for many clubs.
This old thread has some details of other London leagues, but mainly that they exist, not how large or small they are, but statistics on those would be great if they exist:
http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2266
The reason I'm asking is to get a feel for the most active areas of chess. Not in terms of organisation or visibility, but purely in terms of number of organised competitive chess games played under the aegis of particular organisations. I know this will neglect the social side of things, but I'm not sure if any summary of this sort has been done. I know there is that website that lists lots of chess clubs and leagues, but I can't remember if it attempts to list number of players and games per season.
http://www.gtryfon.demon.co.uk/bcc/Uk_c ... ations.htm
That is useful, but not the site I was thinking of. Ah, here it is:
http://mjh.orpheusweb.co.uk/chingland/cframe.htm
That has a series of 'snapshots', an attempt to see what the size of various leagues were over time:
http://mjh.orpheusweb.co.uk/chingland/snap07.htm
http://mjh.orpheusweb.co.uk/chingland/snap08.htm
http://mjh.orpheusweb.co.uk/chingland/snap09.htm
http://mjh.orpheusweb.co.uk/chingland/snap10.htm
It is something like that I am after, a picture of the state of chess in the UK at various points in time (though mostly now, as most data will be current, hopefully).
One of the questions I hope might be answered is an idea of the numbers of games the larger clubs organise over a season. King's Head and Drunken Knights and Hendon I think are three such in London. Others have multiple teams in multiple leagues, but I'm not sure of the exact numbers.
To take the example of the two local leagues I play in, the Thames Valley League and London League, I think the (anticipated) numbers over all divisions for the 2012-13 season are as follows.
Thames Valley League
http://www.thamesvalleychess.org/index.html
Five divisions. Each division has home and away double-round fixtures.
TVL division 1 - 8 teams, 7 clubs, 8 boards, each team plays 14 matches, 56 matches and 448 games in total.
TVL division 2 - 8 teams, 7 clubs, 7 boards, each team plays 14 matches, 56 matches and 392 games in total.
TVL division 3 - 7 teams, 6 clubs, 6 boards, each team plays 12 matches, 42 matches and 252 games in total.
TVL division 4 - 6 teams, 6 clubs, 6 boards, each team plays 10 matches, 30 matches and 180 games in total.
TVL division 5 (division X) - 6 teams, 6 clubs, 4 boards, each team plays 10 matches, 30 matches and 120 games in total.
Overall for the Thames Valley League, 35 teams and 13 clubs. Total number of games is 1392.
The clubs are (number of teams in square brackets): Richmond [5], Ealing [3], Ealing Juniors [2], Wimbledon [4], Kingston [2], Surbiton [4], Maidenhead [2], Hammersmith [1], Harrow [3], Hayes [2], Hounslow [3], Staines [2], Meadhurst [2]. That is 13 clubs, or 12 if you consider Ealing Juniors part of Ealing (the amount of separation between such clubs varies, some clubs have juniors in their teams without running separate junior teams).
London League
http://www.londonchess.com/
Six divisions. All teams play each other once.
LL division 1 - 12 teams, 10 clubs, 12 boards, 66 matches, 792 games
LL division 2 - 13 teams, 13 clubs, 10 boards, 78 matches, 780 games
LL division 3 - 13 teams, 12 clubs, 10 boards, 78 matches, 780 games
LL division 4 - 12 teams, 12 clubs, 8 boards, 66 matches, 528 games
LL division Major - 7 teams, 7 clubs, 4 boards, 21 matches, 84 games
LL division Minor - 7 teams, 7 clubs, 4 boards, 21 matches, 84 games
Overall for the London League, 64 teams and 29 clubs. Total number of games is 3048.
The clubs are (number of teams in square brackets): Albany [1], Athenaeum [3], Battersea [3], Beckenham & Charlton [1], Cavendish [4], DHSS [2], Drunken Knights [3], Dulwich [2], East Ham [1], Greater London [4], Hackney [5], Hammersmith [3], Ilford [1], Imperial College [1], Kings Head [5], Lewisham [1], London Deaf [1], Metropolitan [5], Morley College [2], Mushrooms [2], Pimlico (HO&J) [1], Richmond & Twickenham [1], Streatham & Brixton [3], Wanstead & Woodford [3], West London [1], Willesden & Brent [1], Wimbledon [2], Woodbridge [1], Wood Green [1].
How do the above two compare to other leagues around the country?
Would anyone be able to supply similar statistics (number of teams, number of clubs, number of boards, and number of games) for other team competitions and leagues (remembering that number of boards does not equal number of players, and number of teams does not equal number of clubs), and number of players and games for congresses? I suppose some of the data is in the grading database somewhere, but the detailed breakdown by club is rarely possible as individual players are listed for many clubs.
This old thread has some details of other London leagues, but mainly that they exist, not how large or small they are, but statistics on those would be great if they exist:
http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2266