Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Matt Mackenzie

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:38 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:42 am
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:13 pm
and I see the questions are still a little "unfair"
I too used to think the eggheads got 'easier' questions based solely on the fact I could answer more
of their questions than I could for the other team. Sometimes an Egghead would get a pretty easy question
and you could almost see how embarrassed they were. The public team were also slipped a few easy ones.

I'm sure it's above board but if you surf about on the net you will see quite a few people complaining about it.

google: 'I Went On 'Eggheads + Oobah"

I cannot give the link because there is a sweary word in it - it's all about a lad who knocked a team
together and got on the show. He takes you through it step by step, what you are allowed to wear etc...
Although the title is silly it is well worth a read. (Oobah is the lads first name.)
Many people are convinced the chasers on The Chase get easier questions than the contestants.

(even though the latter get the choice of Set A or Set B)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:34 pm

"However I am not sure I even vaguely understood the point they were making."

Yes - and 1.c4 seemed to turn into 1.d4 later

Roland Kensdale

Post by Roland Kensdale » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:15 pm

Latest episode of Have I got a bit more news for you
(https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... -episode-6)
Around 14.28 it quotes Boris Johnson as saying 'We are not champion chess players', followed by a joke about dodgy donations: 'checkmate' 'thank you very much'.

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:00 am

It appears chess is now an extreme sport! Near the end of this article is the following paragraph -

"With Beijing's hosting of the 2022 Winter Olympics just months away, China has suspended extreme sports such as trail running, ultramarathons and wingsuit flying while it overhauls safety regulations. It is not yet clear when they will restart. There have been reports that not even a chess tournament managed to escape the new measures. "

JohnBass

Post by JohnBass » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:20 pm

In today's Daily Telegraph the Arts & Entertainment editor writes in an article concerning the recent sale of a pair of Ian Fleming's cufflinks: 'You Only Live Twice featured a Japanese deciphering system that was "remarkably close" to to the real-life goings on at Bletchley, (author Sinclair) McKay said, while a chess game in From Russia with Love was based on a real one between Conel Hugh O'Donel Alexander, a Bletchley codebreaker, and David Bronstein, a Soviet Grandmaster'. In fact, it was Spassky, not Alexander, that was Bronstein's opponent, as most of you are probably aware (in the 1960 USSR championship in Leningrad).

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:24 pm

Reg Clucas wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:00 am
It appears chess is now an extreme sport! Near the end of this article is the following paragraph -

"With Beijing's hosting of the 2022 Winter Olympics just months away, China has suspended extreme sports such as trail running, ultramarathons and wingsuit flying while it overhauls safety regulations. It is not yet clear when they will restart. There have been reports that not even a chess tournament managed to escape the new measures. "
I would imagine that chess got caught up because of the length of competition

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:36 pm

In The Sunday Times 14 November, section called Home, back page ad for ballymore selling flats.
A man and a woman in their living room. The man is sitting by a chess board and set. He is fingering the chess pieces set up at the beginning.. The woman is sitting on the floor, not showing any interest in the man or the chess.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:34 pm

ITV4 Saturday at 10.20pm.
Snooker semifinal between Higgins and Yan.
''It's like a game of chess with balls'.

These type of comments are so common. I find it very pleasing and to the benefit of our game. The analogy is almost never made with my other main mind sports, bridge and seldom with poker. But it would make a lot of sense with the latter.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:47 pm

Facebook ad

"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:27 pm

Private Eye 1561 - page 30, a spoof chess column, "Let's play chess with Vladimir", describing the "Lukashenko Move".

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:35 am

Yesterday afternoon, I watched UK Strongest Man and Traffic Cops that I recorded on Channel 5 from Monday evening. During each programme the adverts featured one about the new PlayStation. It was all about people playing chess.
If anyone can find it and post it here, it will be much appreciated.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:49 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:35 am
Yesterday afternoon, I watched UK Strongest Man and Traffic Cops that I recorded on Channel 5 from Monday evening. During each programme the adverts featured one about the new PlayStation. It was all about people playing chess.
This one?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4yuEnY9ItqA

I still can't understand it, really looks like a marketing guy had too much acid.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:24 pm

You may be able to guess to what our commentator compared Barcelona v Betis just before half-time
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:28 pm

Hi Justin,

I think we can imagine what was said.

It would be better if these football commentators used more details if relating the game they watching to chess.

'This game is more boring than Game 10 in the Moscow Marathon."

"Both teams are attacking at will, it's like watching Tal playing Tal."

'The winger did more jinking about than a Knight in a Troitsky study."

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:30 pm

Wadih Khoury wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:49 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:35 am
This one?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4yuEnY9ItqA

I still can't understand it, really looks like a marketing guy had too much acid.
Yeah, that's the one. Thanks Wadih.