Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Geoff Chandler

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Geoff Chandler » Fri May 21, 2021 3:21 pm

Hi Stewart,

I still have loads VHS of me interviewing speedway riders (1990-1999), I must get around to DVD-ing them,
(or maybe not, some are hilarious, once I forgot the riders name and watching me bluffing it is toe curling.
It is like that scene in Fawlty Towers where Basil forgets the name of an important guest. )

But that is not whilst I am here. Any chance of a picture of your life size chess playing mannequin. Sounds fascinating.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri May 21, 2021 4:04 pm

Christopher
The deal is never done until the parties exchange contracts.
Getting rid of lots of stuff is natural when down-sizing. I am going to a retirement village in Bucks. A lot of chess books and papers are going to the new ECF Library in Leicester University.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat May 22, 2021 4:13 am

That's good to hear, Stewart. All the best for that move.

Back to media comments on chess, I noticed this article just now:

The 10-year-old boy who beat a chess grandmaster - but didn't want to boast

It was a rapid event, but still impressive at that age:
in March this year, he defeated grandmaster Bogdan Lalic on his way to winning an English Chess Federation Prix Rapid Event.
He also drew with Keith Arkell in the same (online) event.

The article also features 9-year-old Maggie Wang.

I love the attitude of her father, who likes her playing chess because:
She can focus and think more before taking any actions. Chess is very useful for everyday life. It's teaching her skills which she can use outwith chess. She knows now that it doesn't matter if she wins or loses, it's all about focusing on improving herself and her personality. She can then share her knowledge with others.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sat May 22, 2021 9:26 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 4:13 am
That's good to hear, Stewart. All the best for that move.

Back to media comments on chess, I noticed this article just now:

The 10-year-old boy who beat a chess grandmaster - but didn't want to boast

It was a rapid event, but still impressive at that age:
He drew with me when he was 9 :roll:

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sat May 22, 2021 12:38 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 9:26 am

He drew with me when he was 9.
Hi Mathew.

It was Freddy I was talking about back in 2019 when he had just turned 9.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=10506&p=237563&hilit=tiger#p237563

'Have a good 9 year old in that lot. Last league match he drew and after the game a crowd of adults
circled his board to show him his missed win. Everyone got a 9 year look of utter disgust as right away
he demonstrated the refutation to their winning idea. He had seen it and quite rightly rejected it.'

The Tiger Cubs play their league matches v adult teams early evening and always at home in the Edinburgh Club.
No adult team has objected to this early start and it is a great way to get a team full of kids into an adult league.

More adults start to appear just as their games are finishing. Usually Freddy is finished by then
and we are in the analysis room bouncing off each other all the different ways to win.
But on this occasion he got himself into an ending.

The look of disgust is of course an over exaggeration. But he sat there watching many hands showing him
how he could have won. He took all this in and then showed them why they were wrong along with 'the look.'
Apparently it's a look his dad knows only too well.
( I get 'the look' occasionally, but this has hints of, 'is this another one of your jokes' about it. )

I did an article on Freddy and the Bogdan game in the May CHESS. The editor suggested it, I ran it past Andrew Green his coach
and his parents, they said OK, Freddy was up for it and I looked forward to the challenge. (me doing a serious article?)

He really is a bright great kid, loves chess, which is possibly the only thing I have passed on to him and others.
Andrew Green is the Tiger Cubs coach and doing an incredible job. ​

Link to CHESS magazine: https://chess.co.uk/collections/chess-m ... e-may-2021

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat May 22, 2021 4:55 pm

"It's going to be a game of chess" & "There's always a bit of chess going on in these tight games" both heard in the first ten minutes as an equalising penalty is kicked in La Rochelle-Toulouse on channel 4.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat May 22, 2021 5:00 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 4:55 pm
"It's going to be a game of chess" & "There's always a bit of chess going on in these tight games" both heard in the first ten minutes as an equalising penalty is kicked in La Rochelle-Toulouse on channel 4.
Who taught the French to play rugby?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun May 23, 2021 12:45 pm

A couple of bits I picked up last night.
On the BBC News website under Full Story,, there was an article about a 10 year old chess player from Edinburgh who beat GM Bogdan Lalic. Sadly it has disappeared from the main website to my knowledge. Whether it might be under local news. Perhaps someone could help and add the link.
Last night's Eurovision Song Contest had an entry from Lithuania which featured at the start a few chess pieces.
Perhaps that's why it scored the 12 top marks from the British public vote.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Sun May 23, 2021 1:16 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 12:45 pm
A couple of bits I picked up last night.
On the BBC News website under Full Story,, there was an article about a 10 year old chess player from Edinburgh who beat GM Bogdan Lalic. Sadly it has disappeared from the main website to my knowledge. Whether it might be under local news. Perhaps someone could help and add the link.
Link provided a few posts above yours, still appears to be online.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun May 23, 2021 1:24 pm

Thanks. Missed it.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sun May 23, 2021 2:36 pm

''Drop Me Here, Darling' on R4 extra this morning, first broadcast in January 1983, a game of chess is in progress.

"Queen's Bishop to King's Rook four."

(legal with either colour - I got that within a second. Must all the descriptive Aitken games I've entered. )

The 'Korchnoi Opening' was mentioned. The opponent replied with a Bishop move and it was mate.

Sunday morning mini quest whilst waiting for Alexei Sayle and Desert Island Discs.

Find pre -1983 game with a Bishop (chose white) going to h4 and mate next move with a Bishop move.
Nothing. Not surprised. Before electronic board there will be 1,000's of tournament games that will never see daylight.

Found this but due to date it does not count.

Podini - Bozzali, Corsica 2004.

Alexei Sayle was good, as always.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Mon May 24, 2021 2:15 am

ESPN commentators during Cubs @ Cardinals baseball game: "Playing chess" and "This is chess, not checkers."

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon May 24, 2021 10:20 pm

I'm working my way through the French thriller series Lupin on Netflix. The episode tonight involves a video which is disguised by being labelled French Chess Championship 1993. Why? So that nobody will watch it.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Mon May 24, 2021 11:24 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 10:20 pm
I'm working my way through the French thriller series Lupin on Netflix. The episode tonight involves a video which is disguised by being labelled French Chess Championship 1993. Why? So that nobody will watch it.
Except Emmanuel Bricard?

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue May 25, 2021 12:29 am

Justin >French Chess Championship 1993. Why? So that nobody will watch it.<
There is a whole genre of crime films or TV shows with a chess theme. The problem is that the criminal is usually a GM.