Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:28 pm

Non-paywalled version from different newspaper:

https://nypost.com/2024/03/03/world-new ... val-tower/

Doing a search for Krisztina Ilko and chess brings up lots of interesting material.

https://www.hoart.cam.ac.uk/news/dr-kri ... iddle-ages
"Chess and Skin Colour in the Global Middle Ages

Speaker: Dr Krisztina Ilko
Queens’ College, University of Cambridge

Wednesday 8 November 2023, 9am-10.30am GMT

World History Seminar, Chinese University of Hong Kong. Online via Zoom."

"How could the game of chess facilitate cross-cultural interaction? To perambulate this question, this talk explores medieval images of chess games between players of contrasting skin colour. Key pieces of medieval art, like the lavishly illuminated gaming manual commissioned by King Alfonso X of Castile, are brought into conversation here with little-known pieces, such as a fourteenth-century Mallorcan altarpiece. Despite chess often being perceived through the lens of western European chivalric culture, these examples highlight a much more diverse social and cultural spectrum for this ‘game of kings’. This talk investigates the crucial role of colour in the chequered world of chess, and highlights new avenues to refine our understanding of the representation of skin colour and diversity in the Global Middle Ages."
https://www.history.ox.ac.uk/people/dr-krisztina-ilko
"My project, ‘The Pawns of History: A New Approach Towards the Global Middle Ages,’ uses the game of chess and surviving chess pieces to find a tangible approach towards the global medieval past. In contrast to previous histories which have focused on the development of gameplay, my project employs chess to study cross-cultural communication in the Afro-Eurasian world between 800 and 1400. Scholars have often approached the multicultural Middle Ages either through its connectivity or as a period of barrier making and cultural difference. Chess, however, opens up the possibility to trace interconnectivity between different geographies, cultures, and social strata, but also show how the same connections could be used to create separation and distinctiveness. The primary goal is therefore a critical rethinking of wider processes, practices, and products of cross-cultural interaction. Ultimately, my project addresses how the ‘global’ was experienced in the medieval era, and contributes to broader discussions about how the Middle Ages overlaps but also differs from the modern global world."
It is quite exciting to see chess get this sort of attention from academic historians (this sort of history tends to go beyond a simple narrative exposition, delving deeply into archives, verging into the philosophical and theoretical, pushing the boundaries on new and cross-disciplinary concepts - it can be a difficult read [not everyone's cup of tea] and is not generally aimed at the public reading market, but is invariably extremely rigorous with huge amounts of research and lots of peer review).

It will take years, but will be very interesting to see the end results of her work. Deserves its own thread in the 'Chess History' section at some point.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:01 am

TV AD OPTICAL EXPRESS
This ad included an image of a chess position. It seemed to me irrelevant to the ad about improved sight.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:14 pm

BBC channel 4 just reported on the five o'clock news that Garry Kasparov has been placed on a dangerous dissident list by Putin. They mentioned he will have his bank frozen and need permission to use it.

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:04 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:14 pm
BBC channel 4 just reported on the five o'clock news that Garry Kasparov has been placed on a dangerous dissident list by Putin. They mentioned he will have his bank frozen and need permission to use it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Volunteer_Corps

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/wh ... 023-06-05/

Ksparov RVC.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:07 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
The Moscow Times says he's been put on a “terrorists and extremists” list.

(The second link, given in the Moscow Times article, is timing out for me so I don't know what it says.)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:31 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Karpov is still on the UK sanction list

Google for
"karpov western sanctions list"

I thought Kasparov was now a Croatian national.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:32 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:31 pm
I thought Kasparov was now a Croatian national.
Won't mean squat to Poots. Garry had better watch his back (and pour his own tea).
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Derek Sinclair

Post by Derek Sinclair » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:43 pm

why is Putin not happy with Gary Kasparov? Thought he was a russian legend

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:59 pm

Derek Sinclair wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:43 pm
why is Putin not happy with Gary Kasparov? Thought he was a russian legend
He's been opposing Putin and his regime for over a decade. So much so that he fled from Russia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garry_Kasparov
wiki wrote:Since retiring from chess, Kasparov has devoted his time to writing and politics. His book series My Great Predecessors, first published in 2003, details the history and games of the world champion chess players who preceded him. He formed the United Civil Front movement and was a member of The Other Russia, a coalition opposing the administration and policies of Vladimir Putin. In 2008, he announced an intention to run as a candidate in that year's Russian presidential race, but after encountering logistical problems in his campaign, for which he blamed "official obstruction", he withdrew. In the wake of the Russian mass protests that began in 2011, he announced in June 2013 that he had left Russia for the immediate future out of fear of persecution. Following his flight from Russia, he lived in New York City with his family. In 2014, he obtained Croatian citizenship and has maintained a residence in Podstrana near Split.

Derek Sinclair

Post by Derek Sinclair » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:59 pm

hopefully Putin will be defeated

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:12 am

I saw an ad called 'BE GAMBLE AWARE. It uses chess, as so often, to legitimise their concerns.
How dare they? Chess is NOT a gambling game

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:15 am

Derek Sinclair wrote 'hopefully Putin will be defeated'

Surely assassinated is more likely than defeated?

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:18 am

Last night 'New Tricks' showed the episode 'The English Defence' A Russian emigre who ran a chess club in London (founded in 1893) was a suspect so there were loads of chess references being banded about. Fischer - Spassky, Karpov - Kasparov, The Budapest Defence (for white.) too many boards on chess display to bother looking at positions etc... I did notice in one game Black moved first.

Funnily enough just a few days ago (the 8th of March) I submitted a white side of the Budapest I played in 1977 to chessgames.com. The move 2.a4 is OK as ...a5 is often played by Black in one of the Bc5 lines after White has played a3 intending b4.

I deliberately fell for the trap on move 23 seeing 9 moves ahead turning it into a counter trap. These days I'm lucky if I see two moves ahead or even remembering whose move it is.

G. Chandler - R. Austin, Edinburgh Summer Cup 1977

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:21 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:15 am
Derek Sinclair wrote 'hopefully Putin will be defeated'

Surely assassinated is more likely than defeated?
He is in his 70s and could die fairly soon anyway (and yes, there are rumours)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:28 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-68623380

Amazing. Not sure how the poor chap gets round the anti-cheating rules...