Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Ian Thompson

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:22 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:11 am
WHAT IS "i" ?
https://inews.co.uk/; printed copies also available.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:43 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:11 am
Kevin >This weekend's "i" has a full page about the 50th anniversary of Spassky - Fischer in Iceland.<
WHAT IS "i" ?
its what the independent rebranded itself as

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:56 pm

The "Isle of Wedmore News" (August 2022) has a column by Rev. Sam Healey, (who is deaf), where he says,

"Wedding rehearsals are a little bit like teaching someone to play chess; you start with setting up the pieces an then you relay to them how eachpiece moves and when!
Thus the psychedelic echoes that I could hear bouncing around, were that of the King and Queen being set in their place on the boar. After them the person officiating was, with the help of a verger, directing Bishops, Knights, Castles and Pawns to their starting squares." (etc).

Whether his analogy (a wedding is a game) will please everyone is another point.

Ironically I then got a message from Purling, and this is on their site, https://www.purling.com/product/wedding-pair

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:09 pm

Isle of Wedmore news quoted by Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:56 pm
"Wedding rehearsals are a little bit like teaching someone to play chess; you start with setting up the pieces an then you relay to them how eachpiece moves and when!
Some coaching material starts with an empty board on which pieces are placed. The student is invited to note which squares are controlled. Good for understanding the power of fianchettoed Bishops when you see them on g2 or g7. It's also good for knowing which colour a given square would be.

James Pratt

Post by James Pratt » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:48 pm

Stewart was in Iceland for THE Match. He sent a postcard to his friend, the late Ron Harman. In about 1978 or 9 I was at his brother's house and said missive was brandished. It said something like:

Dear Ron, Food terrible, weather appalling, love Stewart.
As a collector, then as now, I noticed Fischer's signature on the card, no doubt a facsimile souvenir. No way on earth Ken Harman would have it now.

Does anybody reading this have a similar memento?

James

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:44 pm

James Pratt wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:48 pm
Stewart was in Iceland for THE Match. He sent a postcard to his friend, the late Ron Harman. In about 1978 or 9 I was at his brother's house and said missive was brandished. It said something like:

As a collector, then as now, I noticed Fischer's signature on the card, no doubt a facsimile souvenir. No way on earth Ken Harman would have it now.

James
I remember crying at the news that fischer had won in 1972. Well i was aged 1.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:53 pm

James the seventies were a great time werent they just a pity we have to re-live the inflation and strikes again today, those went right over my head first time around- i was born in 1971.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:05 pm

also i was living in argentina in 1976-79 so missed the winter of ill repute

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:09 pm

I look at my bookcase of books and jazz music albums autographed to me. But, as I suspected, have none of Bobby.
But I have a biography of John Coltrane, the famous tenor saxophonist. That was awarded to me as a best chess game prize in 2004 playing for Cavendish. Kenny Harman was the judge and he autographed the book.

My mementos are mainly in my head and some are in my published books or articles

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:14 pm

AlanLlewellyn wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:44 pm
James Pratt wrote:

James
I doubt that you actually *remember* it, then :wink:
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:48 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:14 pm
AlanLlewellyn wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:44 pm
James Pratt wrote:

James
I doubt that you actually *remember* it, then :wink:
maybe not but what i have a vague memory of is watching the news and it coming up that he had gone into hiding

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:51 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:09 pm
I look at my bookcase of books and jazz music albums autographed to me. But, as I suspected, have none of Bobby.
But I have a biography of John Coltrane, the famous tenor saxophonist. That was awarded to me as a best chess game prize in 2004 playing for Cavendish. Kenny Harman was the judge and he autographed the book.

My mementos are mainly in my head and some are in my published books or articles
any relation to beth harman, i had a budgie called harman in the 70s as a coincidence

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:57 pm

other coincidences are in the film innocent moves it mentions dalton chess school as a school which josh waitzkin goes to-in my school in dalton town where i used to live i went to a chess lessons there in the early 80s

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:02 am

also beth harmans story as an actress as well as her screen story is similar to my own in many ways, i was forced to take medication, i got drunk in youth very drunk, i lived in argentina(like the actress), i went to an institution, i lived a lonely existance, i got involved in playing chess tournaments, my mum died, my dad astranged me.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:06 am

ALAN > i lived a lonely existance, i got involved in playing chess tournaments, <
'Chess yields us when we need them most, Companion for our loneliness'. Mu' Tazz