Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Sedgwick

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun May 02, 2021 12:29 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 11:38 am
Mike > it had to be adjourned to the end of the evening session,<
Shaun Press, Alex McFarlane and I are writing a History of the Laws of Chess. Last night I added in a note that both snooker and tennis have had problems with games going on too long. I've never noticed this problem with poker or bridge and know too little about other sports.
In bridge it's not uncommon for one table not to have played one board at the end of the allotted time for a three board set. If circumstances permit the table may be given the opportunity to play the board during the lunch interval or at the end of the session.

I once had a nightmare session as the director when both boards of one two board set were exceptionally difficult. As the rounds progressed I knew that each table in turn would be slow.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun May 02, 2021 12:36 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Mike > it had to be adjourned to the end of the evening session,<
Shaun Press, Alex McFarlane and I are writing a History of the Laws of Chess. Last night I added in a note that both snooker and tennis have had problems with games going on too long. I've never noticed this problem with poker or bridge and know too little about other sports.
There's also cricket, where there's a specific result (the draw) that means the game didn't finish within the allotted time.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun May 02, 2021 1:20 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Formula 1 has a 2 hours of racing time limit and a 3 hours total time limit from when the race started (so if the race is stopped part way through, usually while bad crashes are dealt with, or heavy rain makes it unsafe to continue, the 2 hours clock stops but the 3 hours clock doesn't). If the race distance hasn't been completed when one of these time limits is reached the race is stopped and results declared on current positions.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun May 02, 2021 1:31 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
I've never noticed this problem with poker or bridge and know too little about other sports.
If anything, classical chess is now anomalous in not having interruptions during play. In cricket there's lunch and tea intervals and in many other sports play is divided into quarters or halves with a break between.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun May 02, 2021 3:05 pm

Of course the tradition in at least some parts was that county matches got stopped half way through for tea and biscuits.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Sun May 02, 2021 3:19 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 3:05 pm
Of course the tradition in at least some parts was that county matches got stopped half way through for tea and biscuits.
& Leicestershire provided the "Best Tea Break" of them all.
Paul Robert Jackson

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun May 02, 2021 4:11 pm

"There's also cricket"

In the limited overs stuff (the equivalent of rapid and blitz), teams that failed to bowl their overs in the allotted time were supposed to be penalized, although imaginative ways were found not to do so on occasion. Tennis now has penalties for slow play.

I recall county chess matches stopping for tea-breaks. One of them won me a game, as we set off for tea and my opponent on Board 4 in the U180 Surrey vs Kent match asked what my grade was. "178". "WHAT?" When we resumed, his good position rapidly went downhill... We started with three 179s, I think Tony Corkett, Russell Granat and someone I've forgotten (sorry).

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun May 02, 2021 4:46 pm

Matt >Of course the tradition in at least some parts was that county matches got stopped half way through for tea and biscuits.<

I remember now that I had some influence on doing away with tea breaks in the SCCU, before I stopped playing in county matches.
Tennis, it is much more than slow play. There was the problem of neither player being able to break the opponent's serve. It was only recently that Wimbledon reluctantly introduced the sudden death at 6-6 in the last set. I was very surprised they took so long, because they already had the example of a match going three days.
Ian, I didn't know about the Formula 1 problem. I'll add that to the list. Thank you.
Cricket, having a draw, is not exactly a problem - although fans may be dissatisfied.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun May 02, 2021 6:34 pm

Looking (belatedly) at New in Chess 2020 (6), Peter Heine Nielsen says, "In some ways an Armageddon game feels closer to football than to chess. The attacker has to decide in a split second to either run to the flank or to the centre." Later on there's reference to Magnus missing an open goal.

Another cricket thing, is in the KO events, they have had to resort to one player from each side bowling 6 balls at undefended stumps to get a result. At least it's related to cricket.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun May 02, 2021 6:51 pm

Kevin >Another cricket thing, is in the KO events, they have had to resort to one player from each side bowling 6 balls at undefended stumps to get a result. At least it's related to cricket.<
And in football they have penalty shoot-outs.
But Armageddon is a chess variant, not chess itself. Yet important decisions are made.
It should be in the Laws of Chess.
Also, nobody knows the 'fairest' variant. They should have a tournament where perhaps 5 variants are chosen. Then two game mini-matches against each opponent, one with white and one with black. Then complete a questionnaire at the end.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun May 02, 2021 6:58 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 6:34 pm
Another cricket thing, is in the KO events, they have had to resort to one player from each side bowling 6 balls at undefended stumps to get a result.
I just couldn't believe that. Aside from the detail of bowling rather than throwing, it seems like asking top darts players to hit single 20.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun May 02, 2021 7:08 pm

Nick >Another cricket thing, is in the KO events, they have had to resort to one player from each side bowling 6 balls at undefended stumps to get a result. At least it's related to cricket.<
But in chess, using Sonneborn-Berger is ridiculous. It is like witches dancing round a cauldron throwing spices into the mix.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun May 02, 2021 7:10 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 4:46 pm
I remember now that I had some influence on doing away with tea breaks in the SCCU, before I stopped playing in county matches.
You didn't have much influence. Tea breaks continued well into the 1990s, long after you stopped playing county chess.
Stewart Reuben wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 4:46 pm
It was only recently that Wimbledon reluctantly introduced the sudden death at 6-6 in the last set.
The final set tiebreak at Wimbledon is at 12-12.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun May 02, 2021 7:10 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 6:58 pm
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Another cricket thing, is in the KO events, they have had to resort to one player from each side bowling 6 balls at undefended stumps to get a result.
I just couldn't believe that. Aside from the detail of bowling rather than throwing, it seems like asking top darts players to hit single 20.
Apparently not so
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun May 02, 2021 7:14 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
NickFaulks wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 6:58 pm
In darts, a player will be aiming to hit the 20 segment most of the time.

In cricket, a bowler will be aiming to hit the stumps a much lower proportion of the time.