Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Stewart Reuben

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:37 pm

Today there was a programme on BBC2, MUSICALS: THE GREATEST SHOW
One of the songs was 'I know him so well' from Chess, The Musical. I would probably have collapsed, had they chosen 'The Arbiter's Song'.

The last time I saw Gligoric, he said to me, 'Do you remember me?'

I remember Bobby and David Levy discussing at length the Marshal Gambit in the Ruy. That was at the USSR v Rest of the World Match in 1970. I said, 'Wouldn't it be easier if you had a board and set in front of you?' David responded, 'No, there is no need'. Of course I really meant that i would have found it easier to follow.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:43 pm

I don't know about David, but players of Bobby's standard don't need a board. I think the young Bobby discovered very early that he could read a chess book without getting a board out; he could do it all in his head.

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:23 pm

CORONATION STREET?
So I'm not a fan or a watcher - but apparently someone has bought Roy a chess set from an antique shop that was used in 'the big tournament in Nottingham' - was what I was told. So I'm assuming that must be Nottingham 1936 - anyone seen this?

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:51 pm

"So I'm not a fan or a watcher - but apparently someone has bought Roy a chess set from an antique shop that was used in 'the big tournament in Nottingham' - was what I was told. So I'm assuming that must be Nottingham 1936 - anyone seen this?"

Yes (I think it was Monday's episode) and thanks to ITV website, I found it. They did reference Nottingham 1936 and Lasker. and the set was at least wood!

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:43 pm

Daily Mail notices acrobatic chess player

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... VIDEO.html

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:12 pm

I may have mentioned before that in Edinburgh, and no doubt in other places too,
it is not uncommon to see people putting books in the free 'Metro' box.

Recently I picked up 'Curious Tales from Chemistry' by Lars Öhrström.
An interesting read, chemistry for the layman and quite humorous.
It was actually one of the last books I'd expect chess to get a mention. But;

Page 128 tells us the 'former chess world champion Anatoly Karpov is a
UNICEF ambassador and a long-time crusader against iodine deficiency.

I found this link

https://www.voanews.com/a/a-13-a-2004-0 ... 62238.html

"Mr. Karpov says the babies suffer because their mothers did not include iodine in their diets when they were pregnant.
He says, unfortunately, the mental retardation that results from iodine deficiency in the womb is not reversible in later life."

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:35 pm

Always good to learn something about Karpov.

I know a lot about his chess; but hitherto, the only thing I knew about the private man is that he collected stamps.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:55 pm

I picked up something about Karpov recently.
I believe it was on YouTube via a Russian website.
It was a Russian chat show from early December 2021.
A very smartly dressed 3 year old (I think he was called Mikhail Anutsov) sat down in front of a studio audience thinking he was going to play the presenter, instead Anatoly Karpov walked on and they played a game of chess on the clock.
Worth a watch.
Sadly I lost the link, perhaps someone could find it for me.
Many thanks.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:54 pm

ANATOLY KARPOV nickname, or possibly diminutive TOLYA.
He is very competitive in all sports. In 1970 I beat him and Korchnoi simultaneously. It was at Bridge and we were there for Hastings. They partnered each other and I partnered Michael Franklin, who hadn't played for 10 years. One hand I put Michael into 6 hearts. It depended on finessing the queen of hearts. Michael led towards his A Q Hearts and put the queen up. Viktor, a very weak player failed to cover it and he lost it when Michael next led the AH.
In 1986 we rented a house for him in St John's Wood. He had requested a snooker table be hired. Jill Triggs and I went around. He was practicing snooker and, as we walked in, the white cue ball went in off. Jill exclaimed, 'YoUr not supposed to do that Tolya!' 'Yes, I know,' was his somewhat testy response.
When he first came to London, he bought many stamps at Stanley Gibbons. He also bought a safe. It wasn't much good depositing foreign money in a Russian bank. They wouldn't release it.
Korchnoi once said to me, 'He collects money like postage stamps. It is very peculiar in the Soviet Society'.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:28 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:54 pm
Michael led towards his A Q Hearts and put the queen up. Viktor, a very weak player failed to cover it and he lost it when Michael next led the AH.
Seriously, that weak?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:43 pm

Viktor realised what he had done in 1970 and exclaimed quite loudly about his mistake. It was like leaving your queen en prise for no reason. But the story did make the Daily Express in 1984 when they both played in the Phillips & Drew GLC Kings.

Steven DuCharme

Post by Steven DuCharme » Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:23 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:54 pm
ANATOLY KARPOV nickname, or possibly diminutive TOLYA.
He is very competitive in all sports. In 1970 I beat him and Korchnoi simultaneously. It was at Bridge and we were there for Hastings. They partnered each other and I partnered Michael Franklin, who hadn't played for 10 years. One hand I put Michael into 6 hearts. It depended on finessing the queen of hearts. Michael led towards his A Q Hearts and put the queen up. Viktor, a very weak player failed to cover it and he lost it when Michael next led the AH.
In 1986 we rented a house for him in St John's Wood. He had requested a snooker table be hired. Jill Triggs and I went around. He was practicing snooker and, as we walked in, the white cue ball went in off. Jill exclaimed, 'YoUr not supposed to do that Tolya!' 'Yes, I know,' was his somewhat testy response.
When he first came to London, he bought many stamps at Stanley Gibbons. He also bought a safe. It wasn't much good depositing foreign money in a Russian bank. They wouldn't release it.
Korchnoi once said to me, 'He collects money like postage stamps. It is very peculiar in the Soviet Society'.
What were their bridge ratings? :twisted:
I float like a pawn island and sting like an ignored knight :mrgreen:

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:39 pm

Steven '>What were their bridge ratings?<
I don't know whether you are joking. But EBU bridge ratings have only been introduced quite recently. Mine is 8 or 9. Then it goes, 10, J, Q etc.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:49 pm

Dunno if we've had this before, but the telly here is showing a miniseries called World Without End, based apparently on a novel by Ken Follett. There are eight episodes which are titled Knight, King, Prior*, Check, Pawns, Rook, Queen and Checkmate. I wonder if these appear in the novel?

[* me neither, and in Spanish it's alfil which is the word for bishop]
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:57 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:49 pm
Going back a while, wasn't one of the characters in Corrie a big fan of Mickey Adams, even naming some puppet or pet after him?

All credit to the Manchester folk for facilitating this.
Indeed

More chess filming in a couple of weeks, and Matthew tells me there was lots last month, so could be quite a bit broadcast before Easter
Any postings on here represent my personal views