Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Clarke

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by John Clarke » Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:13 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:12 pm
Made me wonder if anyone else had chess feature in school exchanges?
I was once picked out by an overseas visitor on the basis of my declared interest in chess. Back in the nineties we used to belong to an outfit called Servas via whom you could host (and be hosted by) international travellers. (See here for details.) One day we were contacted by a young lady from the former East Germany who was visiting NZ and was a chess enthusiast. This little waif turned up, looking about 17 (actually 24), proceeded to wipe the floor with me, and then held her own with a former NZ international of our acquaintance.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:08 pm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... laims.html

Edit - my favourite part, "But David Niemann hit out at the site, calling it a 'cult.'"

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:06 pm

Did we miss this earlier in the year?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:42 am

Brian Egdell

Post by Brian Egdell » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:51 pm

A passing reference by Marina Hyde in The Guardian.
Anyway, on to Hunt, clearly the more operational figure. Many of us will have spent far too long yesterday watching the new chancellor’s already unsettling twitch of slightly opening his eyes in a slightly startled fashion, slightly more often than every five seconds. I really don’t want to think of Jeremy as a chess grandmaster whose moves are being dictated by the markets via vibrating anal beads. But since I have, you must too.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:28 pm

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:30 am

Unlike the Mail, they did at least tell the story straight without introducing beads.

It remains to be seen how much or how little chess.com are prepared to divulge about why they think Hans cheated in the hundred games or more claimed.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:50 am

Anyone any idea when this would be in Court, if it gets that far?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:15 am

"It remains to be seen how much or how little chess.com are prepared to divulge about why they think Hans cheated in the hundred games or more claimed."

Their attitude seems to be (much like "Talk Talk"), "we can do what we like and we won't discuss it", so hopefully a court will disabuse them of that.

Roland Kensdale

Post by Roland Kensdale » Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:07 pm

Promotional photo for Amazon Prime's The Devil's Hour (https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Devils-Hou ... B0B5LHM1CG) in Saturday Telegraph's Review shows Peter Capaldi looking intelligent and threatening, but sitting at a chessboard with the Kings and Queens transposed.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:42 pm

Elon Musk insulted former world chess champion Garry Kasparov, who stood up for Ukraine.

Garry Kasparov gave an assessment of the latest events, hinting at Elon Musk: “The price is huge, but Ukraine pays this price. So why are the people sitting in the comfort of their Silicon Valley mansions telling Ukraine how to run its business. This is moral idiocy and geopolitical blindness.”

Elon Musk responded insultingly: “While it is true that Kasparov plays chess almost as well as my iPhone, otherwise he is an idiot. And I don’t even have a house, let alone a mansion, you douche.”

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:23 pm

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:44 pm

For some reason El País in English has a piece today about decision-making which cites somebody called Adriana Hernández, who, in a book called The Game of Life, apparently quotes (or very slightly mis-quotes) Frank Marshall as saying
a bad plan is better than no plan at all.
It also says of Marshall that he
dominated the game in the early-20th century
which claim might have surprised Emanuel Lasker at least.

Anyway the book - which coincidentally seems to have been co-produced with the author of the El País article - is subtitled La sabiduría del ajedrez aplicada a la vida cotidiana, which is to say "the wisdom of chess applied to everyday life". I am not proposing to shell out to find out how this works.

"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:21 pm

I thought "better a bad plan that no plan at all" was a Tarraschism, but am happy to be corrected if wrong.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

A.Kluckova

Post by A.Kluckova » Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:56 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:42 pm
Elon Musk insulted former world chess champion Garry Kasparov, who stood up for Ukraine.

Garry Kasparov gave an assessment of the latest events, hinting at Elon Musk: “The price is huge, but Ukraine pays this price. So why are the people sitting in the comfort of their Silicon Valley mansions telling Ukraine how to run its business. This is moral idiocy and geopolitical blindness.”

Elon Musk responded insultingly: “While it is true that Kasparov plays chess almost as well as my iPhone, otherwise he is an idiot. And I don’t even have a house, let alone a mansion, you douche.”
Mr. Google says, E.Musk sold all of his houses before 24.2.2022 and have rented a modest house only which value is aprox. $ 50 000 ($ fifty thousand) . So 1:0 for Elon Musk in this game .