Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Sellen

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by John Sellen » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:28 pm

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:38 pm

I am on holiday here in Tenerife. It is considerably warmer than England.
I couldn't get hold of the Daily Telegraph or Sunday Times for the weekly listing of English TV programmes. So I bought the Mail on Sunday. They have a section called 'Get puzzling'. There was a chess position of the usual type, 'White to play and win'.
Is that still prepared by Julian Hodgson?

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:36 pm

The Sunday Times Style Magazine 21st November.
There is an interview with Anya Taylor-Joy along with pictures of her modelling clothes along with two stills from The Queen's Gambit. It's on pages 36 to 43.
There is also a picture of her on the front cover with the title "Checkmate! How Anya Taylor-Joy conquered Hollywood".

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:18 am

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitn ... =DM1532757

It seems that working from home, and getting lonely and depressed because of lack of contact with other humans, impairs the quality of your efforts.

Statement of the bleedin' obvious really, but interesting that they chose chess moves as a measurable way of testing it.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:59 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:18 am
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitn ... =DM1532757

It seems that working from home, and getting lonely and depressed because of lack of contact with other humans, impairs the quality of your efforts.

Statement of the bleedin' obvious really, but interesting that they chose chess moves as a measurable way of testing it.
It's not really a good analogy, as I know many chess players who don't take online as seriously as OTB (myself included).

Roland Kensdale

Post by Roland Kensdale » Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:42 pm

Good idea from Malcolm Pein to promote Chess during the World Championship at Waterloo station: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GCaXJDAs_Cc

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:44 pm

The Sunday Times Magazine 28th November 2021.
There is a section titled Gift Guide 2021.
On page 53.
Picture of a chess set for sale.
This was with the picture:
SKYLINE CHESS SET
London v New York City edition
£110; johnlewis.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:29 am

The Spanish classical music station Radio Clásica has a Sunday morning programme for children called Crescendo and according to their montly programming today's show (page 19) is entitled Peones, alfiles y caballos, which is Pawns, bishops and knights.
Comenzamos el programa descubriendo a François-André Danican Philidor, un compositor que también fue uno de
los mejores jugadores de ajedrez de su tiempo. Con los alumnos del Colegio de Nuestra Señora de los Infantes de
Toledo también descubrimos la suite “Ajedrez” del compositor belga Jean Absil.
We open the programme by finding out about François-André Danican Philidor, a composer who was also one of the best chess players of his time. Then with the help of the pupils of [school name] we'll explore the suite called Chess written by the Belgian composer Jean Absil.

Absil's suite is here and when the programme link is up (it'll appear on the page of the show, linked above) I'll post it for the curious.(EDIT: here.)
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:37 am

I take it Absil's suite did not have notes played alternately on white and black keys?!

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:47 pm

The weekend "i" reports (bottom of page 101) that Magnus retained his title, and comments that it was a crushing victory after his opponent faded after a good start. As you will guess, this was in the "Sport in Brief" section.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:59 pm

Roland Kensdale wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:42 pm
Good idea from Malcolm Pein to promote Chess during the World Championship at Waterloo station: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GCaXJDAs_Cc
Yes a wonderful piece of CHESS P.R. I'd be a bit worried about playing blitz chess with a large set.
I'd ask for a clock presser to save me running about, or better still I'd be seated and shout out the
moves and press the clock whilst someone else dashes about moving the pieces for me.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:34 pm

1986 we had chess at Waterloo Station while the World Championship KvK was taking place at the Park Lane Hotel.
We had so many spectators that I did commentary in the Park opposite. I didn't have, or need, amplification.
The game was an utterly dull draw.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:30 pm

I turned on the radio when drving home yesterday morning and they were talking about classical music and chess: I thought st first it was a repeat of the show I mentioned above, but in fact it was a different programme, Longitude de onda and a show entitled Enséñame a jugar al ajedrez, Teach Me How To Play Chess.

I will admit I have only managed to listen to about half the show, which has so far featured, Lord help us, some alleged highlights from the Rice/Lloyd-Webber musical, and some on bore called Eugenio Fedriani droning on. I Googled the guy and he reckons chess can help prevent Alzheimer's, which means I've already heard more from him than I think I need to.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:02 pm

Meanwhile on Radio 3 somebody has just described Verdi's Macbeth as "it's a chess game really".

(EDIT: it's at 1.36:14 in an interview with the baritone Simon Keenlyside who singing the part of Macbeth. For some reason he segues into the chess metaphor directly from one about mountaineering.)
Last edited by JustinHorton on Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:20 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:30 pm
I turned on the radio when drving home yesterday morning and they were talking about classical music and chess: I thought st first it was a repeat of the show I mentioned above, but in fact it was a different programme, Longitude de onda and a show entitled Enséñame a jugar al ajedrez, Teach Me How To Play Chess.

I will admit I have only managed to listen to about half the show, which has so far featured, Lord help us, some alleged highlights from the Rice/Lloyd-Webber musical, and some on bore called Eugenio Fedriani droning on. I Googled the guy and he reckons chess can help prevent Alzheimer's, which means I've already heard more from him than I think I need to.
I trust you mean the Rice/Andersson/Ulvaeus musical?