Media comments on chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Clarke

Re: Media comments on chess

Post by John Clarke » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:57 pm

John Sellen wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:04 am
Happily she recovered after hospital treatment
The man got 3 years in prison so will have plenty of time to indulge in his interest in chess !
The victim in this assault might have recovered physically, but I doubt whether it'll be so easy for her to get over the mental trauma. In those circumstances I find the flip comment about her attacker a bit tasteless.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:48 pm

Me too. If you had sent a full link we could see how awful it is. And to be further down the news that Yorkshire ripper has died.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:11 pm

Nick Grey wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:48 pm
further down the news that Yorkshire ripper has died.
Every cloud...
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:54 am

Hi Joey,

I recalled this: (two revolting individuals but alas, on topic, it's a media comment concerning chess.)

''The Yorkshire Ripper has told how he came to despise Ian Brady after they played chess in jail.'

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/y ... l-10513011

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:16 am

Simon Rogers wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:01 pm
Stewart Reuben wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:52 pm

Today's Sunday Times has an article on page 34 of the main section about 'Queen's Gambit'. The author Simon Usborne said there is evidence of chess becoming more popular because of the series - particularly among females. Sales of chess sets are up 130% at John Lewis.
Also in the Sunday Times Culture Section 8th November. TV Guide Page 30 and Page 31.
On Demand The Queen's Gambit (Netflix)
"Based on the 1983 Walter Tevis novel about a female chess prodigy, this seven-part drama written and directed by Scott Frank is a strong contender for Netflix's show of the year. Never patronising, this is that rare mini-series that drops you into a believable fictional world and asks you to keep up. Which you do, largely because the whole thing looks so spectacular and features a perfect cast. At its centre is Anya Taylor-Joy who plays the young 64-square master with a mesmerising deadpan sensuality, but Thomas Brodie-Sangster is almost her equal as knife-wielding grandmaster Benny Watts. Heartbreaking, witty and ludicrously addictive, its final masterstroke is to turn that most cerebral and sedentary of pastimes into an edge-of-the-seat spectacle. "
John Sellen wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:55 am
Daily Mail online today
"Meet Netflix's new British pawn star: The Queen's Gambit is the surprise lockdown TV hit about an orphan girl with issues who can beat grandmasters... and it's made chess as sexy as hell"
Neill Cooper wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:14 pm
Today's Times Arts Section has a great 2 page article on The Queen's Gambit, featuring David Howell and Jovanka Houska
Mick Norris wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:25 pm
There was talk of The Queen's Gambit this morning on Radio 5 live with Adrian Chiles; all very positive
So what are the options to see this if you don't subscribe to Netflix? I have people asking me if I've seen it...

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:01 pm

Hi Chris,

I too queried about this. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11223

Seems at the moment you have to take Netflix. I...OK Mrs C, she is the boss...declared, 'No'. (I agreed)

I'm sure I'll get by without it and anyway thanks to all these channels, Netflix, Sky, Virgin etc.
DVD's are now going at 4 for a £1.00 in most charity shops (one near me had them 10 for a £1.00)

I still have the box sets of the complete Tony Hancock and all episodes of Sgt Bilko to go through (again)
and if all the reviewers are liking 'Queens Gambit' then I can only imagine how dumbed down it will be.

I'll wait for the Private Eye review. (never finished the book....thought it was a load of guff.)

Sex, Drink, Drugs and Chess. (sounds like a night at Sandy Bells before lock down! :D )

Gordon Morse

Post by Gordon Morse » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:00 pm

No one seems to have mentioned this article in today's "Guardian" so I thought I would:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... ens-gambit
I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:15 pm

Gordon Morse wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:00 pm
No one seems to have mentioned this article in today's "Guardian" so I thought I would:

Another one from today:

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:20 pm

Latest news about Alex.

I did not want to do a new thread as people in this climate seeing a name in a thread header may get a scare.

I told Lara that I'm getting more than a few PM's asking about Alex.
She thanks us for our thoughts and concern.

From Lara:

"He's on a ward now, out of ICU but still very poorly. I think you'll know when he is picking up
if he starts posting on there again! He can't be bothered with anything just now, sleeping a lot.

Still early days but infection markers are down and he managed to eat something on Thursday and yesterday."

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:56 pm

re the "Queens Gamit netflix series"

it is only 7-8 episodes and I watched over 2 nights. I really enjoyed it. It is currently no.1 in the UK on netflix which means it appeals to a wide audience.

best chess series ever made IMO.

The quality of the chess games were excellent. My only negative comment from a chess perspective (and I stand to be corrected) concerns the chess clocks that were used in the early episodes where Ms. Harman was playing in the U.S. schools competitions and local chess tournaments in the sixties.....the clocks looked like ones used in the UK (anyway) in the 80's and 90's. The last episode with the tournament "the Russian invitation event" certainly seemed to have the authentic period chess clocks, the ones with the lower push handles on each side (I have one of these antique clocks at home) and I understand these were the ones in use in the UK in the 70's.

ps that Borgov guy looks like he would beat Carlsen 9 times out of 10 ;)
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:08 pm

Martin Crichton wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:56 pm
re the "Queens Gambit netflix series"

I thought so too a couple of weeks ago and then a thought suddenly struck me as to what I was comparing it with. Is this in fact the only fictional chess TV series ever made?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:09 pm

Jennifer Shahade podcast interview with Peter Svidler on poker and chess

I was sent this by a poker playing University mate who said "This is pretty good. From 15 mins in until about 37 mins is mostly about chess, e.g. not looking at the chess board when thinking, when to take time on a move, Grischuk etc"
Any postings on here represent my personal views

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:17 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:20 pm
Latest news about Alex.

I did not want to do a new thread as people in this climate seeing a name in a thread header may get a scare.
Maybe a good idea all the same though. I for one would like to keep up.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:18 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:08 pm
Martin Crichton wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:56 pm
re the "Queens Gambit netflix series"

I thought so too a couple of weeks ago and then a thought suddenly struck me as to what I was comparing it with. Is this in fact the only fictional chess TV series ever made?
It might even be in the top 5 or top 10 T.V. series ever made IMO (Then again I am biased as I am a chess player)
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:05 pm

How a well-known NZ musician coped with lockdown some months ago:

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programm ... e-p-carter

Scroll about half-way down to find the chess-related matter. Carter himself probably isn't a familiar figure in the UK, but Don McGlashan (also mentioned) most certainly is, as founder and mainstay of the Mutton Birds.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)