Page 1 of 7
The bragging thread
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:15 pm
by Mats Winther
This is a thread for posting your own little creations. I played this rapid game five minutes ago on FICS.
/Mats
Re: The bragging thread
Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:48 pm
by Mats Winther
How about this idea? Usually, a lot of chess creativity is never acknowledged. Today, when it's so simple to copy and paste PGN, why not take this opportunity to show our own games? Also amateur games can be creative and instructive. This rapid game, which I played today, features Bh5!? in the Spanish exchange variation. /Mats
Re: The bragging thread
Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:13 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
Black has a very easy game - perhaps a small advantage - once White turned the pawn grab down. And 7g4 is supposed to be theoretically good for him, FWIW.
(edit - for White, I mean

)
Re: The bragging thread
Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:58 pm
by Mats Winther
I don't think it's good for white. Look at this game with GM Hector as black:
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1572115
/Mats
Re: The bragging thread
Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:25 pm
by Matt Fletcher
Going through my game from last night, I noticed that in the final position, the majority of my pieces (7 of them) fall along the a1-h8 diagonal, which was quite picturesque!
Here's the full game, which is a fairly classic 'good knight vs bad bishop' situation:
Re: The bragging thread
Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:22 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
Hector is, as you know, a brilliant attacking player. Theory seems to believe the "gambit" is dubious if White handles it correctly, however........
Which doesn't mean it can't score well in practice, of course

Re: The bragging thread
Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:28 am
by John Foley
There is a chess database for sharing games on:
http://chessmicrobase.com/
This may be more appropriate than using the Forum which could quite easily become cluttered with brilliancies.
Re: The bragging thread
Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:59 am
by Giulio Simeone
Mats Winther, your first game is indeed nice, you exploited the very bad position of his bishop and knight with a nice combination!! I also play often on FICS, probably sometimes we happened to play against each other, what is your nickname? For sure some time ago I have played (and lost) a couple of games with Matt Fletcher, he recognized me and told me his real name. I also have played lots of creative games on FICS, but I will post a game that I have played three weeks ago on a slow tournament, I'm proud of it because I gradually squeezed my opponent in the corner and eventually demolished him with a very nice combination.
Re: The bragging thread
Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:36 pm
by Mats Winther
Chessmicrobase only serves the purposes of hiding away your games where nobody will ever look at them. What's worse, they don't even know that a chessboard is checkered. From an amateur perspective, it is probably more valuable to look at amateur games, because it teaches you how to handle these positions at amateur level. Such ideas, as in Simeone's game, we seldom see in modern GM practice, because the opponent seldom allows it. We'll have to go back to Morphy's days to see such refutations of a player's plan. In my second game above I demonstrate that it is sometimes possible to play f5 even if it results in a pawn fork. To a title player this is trivial, but not for the average amateur. The above games are both instructive and entertaining. I think it's quite natural to post games to a thread in a chess discussion group. Supposedly, most chessplayers enjoy watching interesting games, even if they aren't GM games.
/Mats
Re: The bragging thread
Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:37 pm
by Giulio Simeone
Mats Winther wrote: I think it's quite natural to post games to a thread in a chess discussion group. Supposedly, most chessplayers enjoy watching interesting games, even if they aren't GM games.
I agree, if in a chess discussion group users can't post chess games, what else can they post?

I think that a game, even if played by amateurs, is much more interesting that disputes between organizations and similar stuff.
Re: The bragging thread
Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:39 pm
by Patrick McGovern
i drew with a GM in a simul, is this bragging? and do i get a norm for this?

Re: The bragging thread
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:46 pm
by Mats Winther
Re: The bragging thread
Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:23 am
by Mats Winther
Re: The bragging thread
Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:03 pm
by Mats Winther
Am I the only genius in this forum?
/Mats
Re: The bragging thread
Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:25 pm
by John Foley
Mats Winther wrote:Am I the only genius in this forum?
/Mats
Mats, this is England where genius has been replaced by false modesty.
You need to post a game you won brilliantly in which you conclude: "I didn't have a clue what was happening."
Also, rename the thread from "Bragging" to "My shameful attempts at rehabilitation of my defective intellect."
Then I guarantee that you will find many contributors.