OLYMPIAD 2008 :):)

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Ben Purton

Re: OLYMPIAD 2008 :):)

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:51 pm

As I Speak

Adams is slight edge(1/2 min)
Short has WON!!
Howell shouldnt lose.!(DRAWN MATCH)

and G Man has outs...

COMMON THE BOYS. THE EN-GER-LAND

Ben
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:01 pm

Roy Phillips seems to have the advantage against GM Alexei Kim. The norm chance is very much on.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:07 pm

To my unreliable eye your man's doing pretty well, Jack.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:33 pm

Oh dear.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:56 pm

If John Saunders is in this evening he can perhaps tell us whether Alan Spice resembles his photo much...
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Justin Hadi

Post by Justin Hadi » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:36 pm

I think Gawain Jones has winning chances! Pawn up in a rook endgame.

Justin Hadi

Post by Justin Hadi » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:39 pm

Hmm, he's just drawn.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:18 pm

JustinHorton wrote:If John Saunders is in this evening he can perhaps tell us whether Alan Spice resembles his photo much...
Well, it's not quite the way Alan looked when he and I were team-mates in 1997, but then none of us is wearing well. The sun set on what I'm pleased to call 'my chessplaying career' several years ago, so maybe he's having similar problems. Very good result today, though.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:22 pm

Was David Howell trying to draw or lose that game?

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:05 pm

He was obviously trying to win. He declined a reputition earlier. He played well in opening with thrilling g4.

:)
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:29 pm

Ben Purton wrote:He was obviously trying to win. He declined a reputition earlier. He played well in opening with thrilling g4.

:)
Someone should have told him that match points are all important these days... :wink:

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:18 pm

Are you actually slagging off David for being unlucky and losing? He did what he thought was best at the time because Gawains didnt look clear.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:38 pm

Welllllll now: Gawain played very well today (it's interesting to see how much more trouble he can give strong players with Black than used to be the case a year or more ago: he is now able to impose his style with both colours, it seems). The exchange sac was good and there was surely little danger of losing - I would have thought that when Howell turned down a perpetual, the only unclear thing about Gawain's game was whether he would be able to win it.

Not that I would make a big drama out of Howell's loss: it happens, and with only four boards per match it is much more likely that just one individual will be the hero or villain of the day, and often both on consecutive days. The trouble with Howell's game today was that it had earlier looked very promising (not winning but certainly promising) and he had probably not yet reached the stage when he was psychologically ready to settle for a draw at the time when he might have done. And the game did turn very quickly; even at move 41, there was no hint at all of what was to come ...

The women suffered even more - Dagne lost a clearly won position (as opposed to a better but difficult one) and that cost the team both matchpoints rather than just one. Like Howell though, we can hardly criticise her; and perhaps it is not entirely coincidental that these things should befall those who had been the best performers?

There is still time to recover - the really important thing is rather not to have such accidents in the last couple of rounds.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:25 am

Davids greatest strength is possibly his biggest weakness also. He goes for these wins, anyone who followed his games in World U20's(obviously I was following him and female scores) and also his games in U18 V the vietnam kid. Alot of his games he had reputition draws. But he just plays for the win alot. I think its to learn. I hope it is anyway. Id rather he lost and learnt than won yesterday. I think a medal at the moment is slightley naive(even if possible). Gawains studied alot with GM's and Rendle at my house and he does put alot more work in than quite a few GM's id imagine. I still think hes alot better with White, but there are few who dont have a better white score of course!. Futures definately bright. If we can get this squad out in 2 years time, itll be 30-40 average higher. Its good that board 5 is kind of "up for grabs" because you can choose the most inform player to play the reserve roll.

Ben

PS: John, anyone else, who would you rest tommorow if you were Wells? Id consider David, should take him out somewhere clear his head. However if hes up for it, hes played too well to be dropped , so dont know.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:07 am

Are you actually slagging off David for being unlucky and losing? He did what he thought was best at the time because Gawains didnt look clear.
Has ;-) become so misused that it doesn't convey any meaning any more...?

(I would mention that this is a perfect example of my complaint about match pts punishing players unduly for pushing hard for a win when they have a draw available, but perhaps i won't go there...)