Page 1 of 2

Chess in Evening Standard

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:46 am
by Kevin Thurlow
Having made a rare foray to central London, I picked up a copy of Thursday's Evening Standard. This featured (page 32) a story on the event at Simpson's, which they called the "September Grand Prix World Chess Championship". There was a brief interview with Nigel Short and a comment from Ray Keene, both of which ceetainly made sense. The journo apparently lost to Nigel ("arguably the strongest British chess player of the 20th Century" - er, omit "arguably") in 12 moves.

The story also featured a large picture of Usain Bolt, apparently playing chess. Unfortunately, the board is the wrong way round (of course!) and Mr Bolt (who presumably specialises in Lightning chess) has Rh1 and b1, Nf1, Pa2b3e2e4g2h3 and a d-pawn he is just moving. He looks worried, possibly as his king has already been captured. He could be playing an obscure variant of course. Apparently Bill Gates (please sponsor us) and Justin Bieber are also fans of the game.

The report ends with, "One survey showed that more than 12 per cent of adults in Britain played chess frequently last year." Even if that includes playing against their children and grandchildren at home, I don't believe it.

Despite the mistakes, it is half a page on chess and it is positive, and doesn't say all chessplayers are lunatics or serial killers, so obviously the journo hasn't seen this forum.

Re: Chess in Evening Standard

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:14 am
by Roger de Coverly
Kevin Thurlow wrote: This featured (page 32) a story on the event at Simpson's, which they called the "September Grand Prix World Chess Championship". There was a brief interview with Nigel Short and a comment from Ray Keene, both of which ceetainly made sense.
There are a number of people present who could be associated with the ECF, but were there any invites specifically for current ECF Officials or Directors? It's noticeable that the usual FIDE cast have showed up, presumably at Agon's expense. Unlike in Russia, the ECF doesn't having any role in saying whether the tournament can take place or not.

Re: Chess in Evening Standard

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:17 am
by John Hickman

Re: Chess in Evening Standard

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:30 am
by LawrenceCooper
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Kevin Thurlow wrote: This featured (page 32) a story on the event at Simpson's, which they called the "September Grand Prix World Chess Championship". There was a brief interview with Nigel Short and a comment from Ray Keene, both of which ceetainly made sense.
There are a number of people present who could be associated with the ECF, but were there any invites specifically for current ECF Officials or Directors? It's noticeable that the usual FIDE cast have showed up, presumably at Agon's expense. Unlike in Russia, the ECF doesn't having any role in saying whether the tournament can take place or not.
I can only speak as an ex director but I've had no involvement or invitation and I suspect that international would be one of the more likely areas to be contacted.

Re: Chess in Evening Standard

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:35 am
by Sean Hewitt
LawrenceCooper wrote:I can only speak as an ex director but I've had no involvement or invitation and I suspect that international would be one of the more likely areas to be contacted.
I certainly received no invite. I heard that the ex-President may have been in attendance but do not know if this is correct.

Re: Chess in Evening Standard

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:46 am
by Richard Bates
Phil Ehr was there. It's hardly surprising that an organisation focussing on Professional/World Championship chess is not too interested in engaging with the ECF as an organisation. What exactly would the ECF be bringing to the table?

On the article, always makes a change for chess coverage and reporting when the PR aspect is taken seriously and professional PR firms are involved.

Re: Chess in Evening Standard

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:09 am
by Nick Burrows
Paul Cooksey wrote:
Kevin Thurlow wrote:The journo apparently lost to Nigel ("arguably the strongest British chess player of the 20th Century" - er, omit "arguably") in 12 moves.
I know it is not the main point, but personally I think you can make a case for Adams too. He was more consistently at the top of the ratings list. Certainly Short's match wins against Karpov and Timman are unparalleled. But then Adams had fantastic results in the FIDE Knock outs of the late 90s, and was denied entry to a proper candidates cycle when he was near the top of the ratings.

Empathising with the Journalist, Adams was in the room and is playing in the tournament. I think he has to be tactful!
Short is Fischer to Adam's Kasparov. Short attained a higher level for a short point in his career, but Adams maintained his high level year upon year...

Re: Chess in Evening Standard

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:22 am
by LawrenceCooper
Nick Burrows wrote:
Paul Cooksey wrote:
Kevin Thurlow wrote:The journo apparently lost to Nigel ("arguably the strongest British chess player of the 20th Century" - er, omit "arguably") in 12 moves.
I know it is not the main point, but personally I think you can make a case for Adams too. He was more consistently at the top of the ratings list. Certainly Short's match wins against Karpov and Timman are unparalleled. But then Adams had fantastic results in the FIDE Knock outs of the late 90s, and was denied entry to a proper candidates cycle when he was near the top of the ratings.

Empathising with the Journalist, Adams was in the room and is playing in the tournament. I think he has to be tactful!
Short is Fischer to Adam's Kasparov. Short attained a higher level for a short point in his career, but Adams maintained his high level year upon year...
I would consider Adams more like Karpov :? Also Fischer and Kasparov never competed in the same era whereas Adams and Short have for many years. Apart from that......

Re: Chess in Evening Standard

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:29 pm
by Clive Blackburn
Does anybody know what is Short's overall lifetime score against Adams?

Re: Chess in Evening Standard

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:41 pm
by Krishna Shiatis
Kevin Thurlow wrote: Despite the mistakes, it is half a page on chess and it is positive, and doesn't say all chessplayers are lunatics or serial killers, so obviously the journo hasn't seen this forum.
:lol: :lol:

Re: Chess in Evening Standard

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:46 pm
by Michael Bennett
Clive Blackburn wrote:Does anybody know what is Short's overall lifetime score against Adams?
This might give some idea:
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess.pl ... r&eresult=

Re: Chess in Evening Standard

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:56 pm
by Clive Blackburn
Thanks Michael, looks pretty even!

Re: Chess in Evening Standard and Telegraph

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:26 pm
by David Pardoe
A good picture in Saturdays Daily Telegraph, P18. It shows glamour model Lily Cole playing a friendly v Topalov at Somerset House...with a group of other personalities in the background.
It does set a `cool` tone for chess, and good for the image....

Re: Chess in Evening Standard

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:30 pm
by JustinHorton
Well, it's possible people will look at it and say "cor, Lily Cole plays chess, I must go and learn the game myself" but more likely people will think "oh God, another attempt to claim that chess is cool - I bet she doesn't even know the rules".

Re: Chess in Evening Standard

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:03 pm
by Alex Holowczak
JustinHorton wrote:Well, it's possible people will look at it and say "cor, Lily Cole plays chess, I must go and learn the game myself" but more likely people will think "oh God, another attempt to claim that chess is cool - I bet she doesn't even know the rules".
I suspect chessplayers will think the latter, and that non-chessplayers won't think the former. I suspect most will just see it, take it in, and then turn to the next page without any further thought.