Page 1 of 1
Are there any Russian speakers on this forum?
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:11 am
by JustinHorton
If so, would anybody be able to translate the titles (both the big red one and the little one above it)
here? (I'm assuming they
are Russian, but I suppose they could as easily be Ukranian, given the presence of Kharkiv in the URL).
Re: Are there any Russian speakers on this forum?
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:56 am
by John Philpott
Justin
I cannot claim to be a Russian speaker. But an online translation engine came up with:
New Shahmatorija Simeon Gubnitskogo: Chess islands: Commonwealth of the worlds:
CHESS IN THE WORLD OF PAINTING
Re: Are there any Russian speakers on this forum?
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:29 am
by JustinHorton
Ah, the second bit looks just the job, ta. But the first bit still needs a little attention! And I suppose I still don't know whether it's actually Russian or Ukranian.
(It's a source for the current Streatham and Brixton Chess in Art
series, which finishes this current Saturday, save for an appendix the following Saturday in which I shall provide a list of resources by way of bibliography. Obviously it will be helpful if I can actually give them a correct title!)
Re: Are there any Russian speakers on this forum?
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:19 pm
by John Philpott
Justin
If you surf back above the webpage you quoted to
http://www.sport.kharkiv.com/sg_chess/ you come to a page that is partly in English (after a fashion!). The first words in the heading you wanted translated would appear to correspond to "Semyon Goubntitskij's new chesstory", and the later text suggests that the reference to "Chess Islands" was indeed intended.
Re: Are there any Russian speakers on this forum?
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:36 pm
by JustinHorton
Ah, OK, thanks. Presumably that's the chap himself with the 'tache.
Re: Are there any Russian speakers on this forum?
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:21 pm
by Kevin Paine
It is in Russian :
First bit says:
New Chessery of Semyon Gubnitskiy : Chess islands: a fellowship of worlds
Second bit:
Chess in the world of painting
Ð¨Ð°Ñ…Ð¼Ð°Ñ‚Ð¾Ñ€Ð¸Ñ is a made-up word, as is my translation chessery. It means a place where chess takes place, as in orangery (a place to grow oranges!).
Hope it helps a little.
Kevin
Re: Are there any Russian speakers on this forum?
Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:00 pm
by JustinHorton
Chessery, yes, I think that's very good. Thanks ever so much.