Are there any Russian speakers on this forum?
- JustinHorton
- Posts: 10562
- Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
- Location: Somewhere you're not
Are there any Russian speakers on this forum?
If so, would anybody be able to translate the titles (both the big red one and the little one above it) here? (I'm assuming they are Russian, but I suppose they could as easily be Ukranian, given the presence of Kharkiv in the URL).
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."
-
John Philpott
Re: Are there any Russian speakers on this forum?
Justin
I cannot claim to be a Russian speaker. But an online translation engine came up with:
New Shahmatorija Simeon Gubnitskogo: Chess islands: Commonwealth of the worlds:
CHESS IN THE WORLD OF PAINTING
I cannot claim to be a Russian speaker. But an online translation engine came up with:
New Shahmatorija Simeon Gubnitskogo: Chess islands: Commonwealth of the worlds:
CHESS IN THE WORLD OF PAINTING
- JustinHorton
- Posts: 10562
- Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
- Location: Somewhere you're not
Re: Are there any Russian speakers on this forum?
Ah, the second bit looks just the job, ta. But the first bit still needs a little attention! And I suppose I still don't know whether it's actually Russian or Ukranian.
(It's a source for the current Streatham and Brixton Chess in Art series, which finishes this current Saturday, save for an appendix the following Saturday in which I shall provide a list of resources by way of bibliography. Obviously it will be helpful if I can actually give them a correct title!)
(It's a source for the current Streatham and Brixton Chess in Art series, which finishes this current Saturday, save for an appendix the following Saturday in which I shall provide a list of resources by way of bibliography. Obviously it will be helpful if I can actually give them a correct title!)
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."
-
John Philpott
Re: Are there any Russian speakers on this forum?
Justin
If you surf back above the webpage you quoted to http://www.sport.kharkiv.com/sg_chess/ you come to a page that is partly in English (after a fashion!). The first words in the heading you wanted translated would appear to correspond to "Semyon Goubntitskij's new chesstory", and the later text suggests that the reference to "Chess Islands" was indeed intended.
If you surf back above the webpage you quoted to http://www.sport.kharkiv.com/sg_chess/ you come to a page that is partly in English (after a fashion!). The first words in the heading you wanted translated would appear to correspond to "Semyon Goubntitskij's new chesstory", and the later text suggests that the reference to "Chess Islands" was indeed intended.
- JustinHorton
- Posts: 10562
- Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
- Location: Somewhere you're not
Re: Are there any Russian speakers on this forum?
Ah, OK, thanks. Presumably that's the chap himself with the 'tache.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."
-
Kevin Paine
- Posts: 3
- Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:14 pm
Re: Are there any Russian speakers on this forum?
It is in Russian :
First bit says:
New Chessery of Semyon Gubnitskiy : Chess islands: a fellowship of worlds
Second bit:
Chess in the world of painting
Ð¨Ð°Ñ…Ð¼Ð°Ñ‚Ð¾Ñ€Ð¸Ñ is a made-up word, as is my translation chessery. It means a place where chess takes place, as in orangery (a place to grow oranges!).
Hope it helps a little.
Kevin
First bit says:
New Chessery of Semyon Gubnitskiy : Chess islands: a fellowship of worlds
Second bit:
Chess in the world of painting
Ð¨Ð°Ñ…Ð¼Ð°Ñ‚Ð¾Ñ€Ð¸Ñ is a made-up word, as is my translation chessery. It means a place where chess takes place, as in orangery (a place to grow oranges!).
Hope it helps a little.
Kevin
- JustinHorton
- Posts: 10562
- Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
- Location: Somewhere you're not
Re: Are there any Russian speakers on this forum?
Chessery, yes, I think that's very good. Thanks ever so much.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."