Page 1 of 5
Turkish President proposes eviction of ECF from FIDE
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:43 pm
by Roger de Coverly
Here's the link
http://www.fide.com/images/stories/NEWS ... f_FIDE.pdf
I don't know whether this is just posturing, or whether the proposal has any chance of being discussed or voted on. If it were carried, the obvious response would be for the seven suspended or expelled federations to form a new international body and invite others to join.
Re: Turkish President proposes eviction of ECF from FIDE
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:00 pm
by Sean Hewitt
Roger de Coverly wrote:Here's the link
http://www.fide.com/images/stories/NEWS ... f_FIDE.pdf
I don't know whether this is just posturing, or whether the proposal has any chance of being discussed or voted on. If it were carried, the obvious response would be for the seven suspended or expelled federations to form a new international body and invite others to join.
Thanks for posting this. The 7 federations should pre-empt this by resigning from FIDE and setting up their rival organisation without delay.
Re: Turkish President proposes eviction of ECF from FIDE
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:05 pm
by Paul Cooksey
I'm a bit less pugnacious than Sean, although then again no-one has outrageously banned me personally yet.
I do feel like I am being threatened with the comfy chair. I'd certainly reconsider boycotting the Olympiad now.
Re: Turkish President proposes eviction of ECF from FIDE
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:07 pm
by Alex McFarlane
There won't be a great demand for Gold membership then.
But seriously it does seem completely OTT. The British could move to BICC control and the 4NCL to one of the other federations but other events like the e2e4 ones would be very seriously hit.
I trust that White and Case or another law firm will be helping the ECF fight this.
Re: Turkish President proposes eviction of ECF from FIDE
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:11 pm
by Paul Cooksey
Alex McFarlane wrote:But seriously it does seem completely OTT. The British could move to BICC control and the 4NCL to one of the other federations but other events like the e2e4 ones would be very seriously hit.
Assuming the players were happy to continue to play in FIDE events after England had been expelled. I'm not sure I would be. At this moment I definitely wouldn't, but at this moment I'm angry.
Alex McFarlane wrote:I trust that White and Case or another law firm will be helping the ECF fight this.
Why bother? I thought Justin made a good point about the morality of splitting from FIDE and abandoning other countries, even if it was in our own interests, last time we discussed this issue. But getting kicked out is different.
Re: Turkish President proposes eviction of ECF from FIDE
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:29 pm
by Sean Hewitt
Paul Cooksey wrote:I'm a bit less pugnacious than Sean, although then again no-one has outrageously banned me personally yet.
True - though I wasn't thinking in those terms.
People like Ali need to be careful what they wish for. It's one thing to posture and threaten to suspend 1/3 of the world's chess players. However, if those players were to walk away it would cause real problems for FIDE. It would certainly strengthen any negotiating position for the 7 federations in my opinion.
Re: Turkish President proposes eviction of ECF from FIDE
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:08 pm
by David Sedgwick
Paul Cooksey wrote:Alex McFarlane wrote:But seriously it does seem completely OTT. The British could move to BICC control and the 4NCL to one of the other federations but other events like the e2e4 ones would be very seriously hit.
Assuming the players were happy to continue to play in FIDE events after England had been expelled. I'm not sure I would be. At this moment I definitely wouldn't, but at this moment I'm angry.
You wouldn't have the option, unless you transferred to another Federation. It's not just the seven Federations that would be banned, but all players (and officials) from those Federations.
I've been trying to think through the chaos this would cause. For instance, I'm supposed to be the arbiter at the Guernsey Festival six weeks after the FIDE Congress. They could find another arbiter, but they could hardly ban the 50% or so of their entrants that come from England and the other affected countries. And if they decided not to have the event FIDE rated, the other 50% wouldn't like it.
Re: Turkish President proposes eviction of ECF from FIDE
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:14 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
But doesn't that simply show it is an empty threat that is never seriously going to be carried out??
Unless FIDE really is bent on its own destruction, of course

Re: Turkish President proposes eviction of ECF from FIDE
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:16 pm
by David Sedgwick
Matt Mackenzie wrote:But doesn't that simply show it is an empty threat that is never seriously going to be carried out??
Unless FIDE really is bent on its own destruction, of course

Never underestimate the foolhardiness of the FIDE General Assembly.
Re: Turkish President proposes eviction of ECF from FIDE
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:27 pm
by JustinHorton
Sean Hewitt wrote:
Thanks for posting this. The 7 federations should pre-empt this by resigning from FIDE and setting up their rival organisation without delay.
No they shouldn't. It wouldn't be viable.
But they should certainly invite the gentleman to know where to get off.
Re: Turkish President proposes eviction of ECF from FIDE
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:30 pm
by IanDavis
If the ECF leaves FIDE, then it cannot rejoin, under the current statutes.
Re: Turkish President proposes eviction of ECF from FIDE
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:32 pm
by Sean Hewitt
JustinHorton wrote:Sean Hewitt wrote:
Thanks for posting this. The 7 federations should pre-empt this by resigning from FIDE and setting up their rival organisation without delay.
No they shouldn't.
It wouldn't be viable.
Citation required.
It seems to me that it would be viable, particularly if they could encourage other large European nations to join them. But more importantly, the threat would make Ali wind his neck in.
Re: Turkish President proposes eviction of ECF from FIDE
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:37 pm
by Joey Stewart
I think the main thing most normal players would be wondering about is what would happen to their fide rating if the english chess federation were to leave the organisation?
If it were possible to transfer over the number to a new organisation and continue as things were, then I am sure there would be no real issues and most players would be happy to leave fide.
If the ratings were to be lost it would be a tragedy - on the scale of a war crime - of all the hours of time we play chess, those ratings are all most players have to show for it (apart from a very talented few who can get titles and prize monies).
Re: Turkish President proposes eviction of ECF from FIDE
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:40 pm
by Paul Cooksey
Sean Hewitt wrote:But more importantly, the threat would make Ali wind his neck in.
A credible threat would be needed. Given the CAS ruling, the rejection of his resignation, and the ineffective protest about arbiter exclusion, I guess Yazici might think he is winning. He might be right.
My feeling is we have to show we have something more than talk. I'd be prepared boycott the Olympiad, even if the money is already spent. Of course if the players are interested in a double round APA for the English championship in Ray Keene's bunker under Simpsons, I'd be delighted.
(edit because even is he is a dangerous idiot, I ought to spell his name right)
Re: Turkish President proposes eviction of ECF from FIDE
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:41 pm
by JustinHorton
Sean Hewitt wrote:
It seems to me that it would be viable, particularly if they could encourage other large European nations to join them. But more importantly, the threat would make Ali wind his neck in.
I suspect what will make Ali wind his neck in (and I'm glad to see that phrase again after a few years, I've always liked it) will be people laughing in his face.