Just to be sure, since it might have come up in a game I played at the weekend.
The rules on this are, aren't they, essentially the same as those for a threefold repetition? What I mean is that it is up to players to claim, by writing down the move and in advance and informing the arbiter. If they do not do so, and the game later ends with a positive result, there is no comeback at all for the defeated player: nobody can say "hey, we've just checked the scoresheets, you went fifty-seven moves without a capture or a pawn move, it should have been a draw". Is this correct?
Fifty-move clarification
- JustinHorton
- Posts: 10565
- Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
- Location: Somewhere you're not
Fifty-move clarification
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."
-
Sean Hewitt
Re: Fifty-move clarification
Correct. Even if you found had found an illegal move after the game had ended, it's too late.JustinHorton wrote:Just to be sure, since it might have come up in a game I played at the weekend.
The rules on this are, aren't they, essentially the same as those for a threefold repetition? What I mean is that it is up to players to claim, by writing down the move and in advance and informing the arbiter. If they do not do so, and the game later ends with a positive result, there is no comeback at all for the defeated player: nobody can say "hey, we've just checked the scoresheets, you went fifty-seven moves without a capture or a pawn move, it should have been a draw". Is this correct?
- JustinHorton
- Posts: 10565
- Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
- Location: Somewhere you're not
Re: Fifty-move clarification
Thank you.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."
- Nigel Wright
- Posts: 246
- Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:49 pm
- Location: Derbyshire, England
- Contact:
Re: Fifty-move clarification
how often do these issues ever arise though? i've only ever once been anywhere near close to a 50 move finish, and that was cos my opponent was about 90 yo and hadn't play a K + R v. K ending in over a decade and couldn't remember how to do it! :p
To Drink or not to Drink, that is the question.
I Drink therefore I am.
I'm not as think as you drunk I am.
I Drink therefore I am.
I'm not as think as you drunk I am.