Page 1 of 1

Printing a chess position

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:27 pm
by Peter Turner
Help!! I've forgotten how to create a chess position starting with a blank board using ChessBase 8. I need it to print puzzles for juniors and updating the Certificate of Excellence Scheme.

Re: Printing a chess position

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:56 pm
by Simon Spivack
Peter Turner wrote:Help!! I've forgotten how to create a chess position starting with a blank board using ChessBase 8. I need it to print puzzles for juniors and updating the Certificate of Excellence Scheme.
The following works with Chessbase *9*, I can't recall whether it would work with 8, but it may be worth a shot.

Open Chessbase and press the single key <S> (alternatively, try clicking on the menu item "File", followed by"New", then "Position setup"). This should produce a dialogue displaying a board with all the pieces on their starting squares. There is a "clear board" button at the bottom of the dialogue, click on it.

Good luck.

Re: Printing a chess position

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:34 pm
by Peter Turner
Simon, appreciate quick response, followed you instructions and had no problem creating a position. Followed the goto print instructions but came up with letters & numbers etc diagram rather than a chess board & pieces diagram. I'm begining to think it may be a problem with windows vista. It worked with my previous windows xp version. Am I doing something wrong with copy and paste proceedure

Re: Printing a chess position

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:19 pm
by Simon Spivack
Peter Turner wrote:Simon, appreciate quick response, followed you instructions and had no problem creating a position. Followed the goto print instructions but came up with letters & numbers etc diagram rather than a chess board & pieces diagram. I'm begining to think it may be a problem with windows vista. It worked with my previous windows xp version. Am I doing something wrong with copy and paste proceedure
I have a horrid suspicion the procedure is different in Chessbase 8 to 9.

I presume you can produce a board within Chessbase (clicking the "OK" button at the bottom left of the previously mentioned dialogue should achieve this). Under the "file" menu there is the "print" submenu, which in turn offers "page setup". Clicking appropriately should produce a tabbed dialogue, one of the tabs is "coordinates" which should allow you to turn off the diagram coordinates.

I used to produce a club newsletter, I can recall having one hell of a time getting this to work with Chessbase *7*.

Another radically different approach is to write as much as possible within Chessbase and then paste in Rich Text Format into your word processor. My method was to write the article first, and then insert the diagrams, the hard part was getting everything to line up in an A5 booklet.

Hope this helps,

but I'm not convinced.

Re: Printing a chess position

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:04 pm
by Peter Turner
Thanks, I'll check the options in print setup. It's very frustrating as I've managed to insert diagrams previously but not finding the solution on this occasion.

Re: Printing a chess position

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:07 pm
by Kevin Paine
If this is the first time you are trying this on a new computer, then it may be worthwhile checking that you have the required chess fonts installed.

Re: Printing a chess position

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:50 pm
by Peter Sowray
Peter,

If you can't get ChessBase to work, this web site is very easy to use ...

http://chessup.net/

Creates a graphic without having to faff about with fonts.

Peter

Re: Printing a chess position

Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:40 am
by Peter Turner
Problem solved!! Thanks everyone. It is a font problem on the new computer and Peter Sowray's website link is great. :D