Page 1 of 2
Interview with Gawain Jones
Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:37 am
by Matthew Webb
Top Grandmaster
Gawain Jones has kindly given up his time to answer some questions for the
Yorkshire Chess Association website! It's well worth a read...
Interview with Gawain Jones
There is also a quiz for anyone who is interested, currently only 1 player has managed to get 100%, a certain IM (not mentioning any names) failed to achieve top marks but only because he couldn't name who the youngest ever grandmaster was!

Check it out -
General Knowledge Chess Quiz
Re: Interview with Gawain Jones
Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:11 pm
by Matthew Webb
Fantastic response for the
Yorkshire Chess Quiz - we've now had over 100 people try it out so far... Still only one with 100% (see home page for leaders).
It seems nobody knows who is the women's world champion! Tut tut

Re: Interview with Gawain Jones
Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:23 pm
by Joey Stewart
I was quite pleased with how I did in that quiz, although I did have to guess two of the pictures.
Re: Interview with Gawain Jones
Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:54 am
by Ian Stephens
Joey Stewart wrote:I was quite pleased with how I did in that quiz, although I did have to guess two of the pictures.
Nice Quiz Matthew, Joey did you beat 48/55? I also had to guess on a picture of Peter Cloudsdale (correctly I may add), thought I might have had to claim a 10.2 as I was getting short on time! In one of the diagrams instinctively went for the correct Rh7 then convinced myself to choose Nd6? bit like my OTB play

Re: Interview with Gawain Jones
Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:05 am
by Matthew Turner
Excellent quiz. I only got 47, but I did know who the Womens' World Champion is.
Re: Interview with Gawain Jones
Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:10 pm
by John Moore
What a good quiz - scored 53. Failed miserably to get Karjakin as youngest GM - not sure what the other missing one was.
Re: Interview with Gawain Jones
Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:30 pm
by Jonathan Rogers
I got 51, so apparently four marks were up for grabs in recognising Peter Cloudsdale. Well, I don't know, who's he?

Re: Interview with Gawain Jones
Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:43 pm
by Matthew Turner
ECF homepage, advert top left.
Re: Interview with Gawain Jones
Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:50 pm
by John Moore
Perhaps I only got 1 wrong then - that suggests Jonathan that you got another one wrong as well as the famous Mr Cloudsdale. The only reason I got him was that I knew he wasn't the others!
Re: Interview with Gawain Jones
Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:53 pm
by Matthew Turner
There could also be degrees of wrongness? Maybe you get some points for recognising the second youngest GM for example.
Re: Interview with Gawain Jones
Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:11 pm
by Jonathan Rogers
pretty sure that I just got Mr Cloudsdale wrong.
Re: Interview with Gawain Jones
Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:15 pm
by Jonathan Rogers
oh, he's President of the YCA! A "general knowledge" question?! ...
Re: Interview with Gawain Jones
Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:22 pm
by Joey Stewart
I guessed peter clousdale right, well a semi guess since I knew two of the other people on the list, and managed to guess another of the obscure pictures right so ended up getting 55/55 which I was quite pleased with.
Re: Interview with Gawain Jones
Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:40 pm
by Christopher Kreuzer
You should warn people it is timed. I went to get a drink (honest!) and it timed me out.

Re: Interview with Gawain Jones
Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:08 pm
by Will Taylor
Nice quiz. Like others, I had to guess on the Peter Cloudsdale picture, but managed to get 100%.