Page 1 of 4

Amusing Pairings

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:27 am
by Sean Hewitt
Following on from previous topics I have managed this morning to pair

Pairings round 4 (Sunday, 27 November 2011)

Table White Flags Score Fed. Rating Black Flags Score Fed. Rating Result

38 Moore, John T Eastbourne 2.0 Bri 120 Moore, John R Surrey 2.0 Bri 135

Re: Amusing Pairings

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:35 am
by Jonathan Bryant

Re: Amusing Pairings

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:37 am
by David Sedgwick
Sean Hewitt wrote:Following on from previous topics I have managed this morning to pair
Really? I thought you didn't do pairings. Do you by any chance mean that Swiss Master paired them?

I claim a new record for sending a thread off topic: the very first reply.

Edit: You ... , Jonathan

Re: Amusing Pairings

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:48 am
by harrylamb
In the very early days of the Manchester congress around 1970. When parings were manual I deliberately paired in a random draw.

Mr Black v Mr White

Mr Black had White because of his colour sequence.

The competitors sussed me out. The result was handed in "Black won"
It caused me a lot of trouble finding out who/what Black referred to and it taught me a lesson. I have never again paired other than strictly according to the rules.

Mind you with a name like Lamb I suspect that arbiters occasionally give me a "fun" pairing

Cheers
Harry Lamb

Re: Amusing Pairings

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:26 pm
by Sean Hewitt
David Sedgwick wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:Following on from previous topics I have managed this morning to pair
Really? I thought you didn't do pairings. Do you by any chance mean that Swiss Master paired them?
As a learned IA said recently - computers aren't responsible for pairings; they are merely tools used by the arbiters.

Re: Amusing Pairings

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:09 pm
by John Hickman

Re: Amusing Pairings

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:22 pm
by Sabrina Chevannes
In the British Rapidplay about 10 years ago there was an Albert vs Einstein in the same round as a Dolly vs Parton. I thought they were all having a laugh.

I was rather offput when playing in Vandouevre last December when on the board next to me there was a Heinz vs Bacon - I couldn't stop laughing and thinking about Bacon sarnies!

Re: Amusing Pairings

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:49 pm
by Sean Hewitt
Sabrina Chevannes wrote:In the British Rapidplay about 10 years ago there was an Albert vs Einstein in the same round as a Dolly vs Parton. I thought they were all having a laugh.

I was rather offput when playing in Vandouevre last December when on the board next to me there was a Heinz vs Bacon - I couldn't stop laughing and thinking about Bacon sarnies!
We really do need a 'like' button on this forum!

Re: Amusing Pairings

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:19 pm
by John Moore
Best one I can remember was at Southend some years ago - when Fox played Hare in the first round.

Re: Amusing Pairings

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:20 pm
by John Moore
Alan Parsons was involved at some point -and for those of you who remember Alan!!

Re: Amusing Pairings

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:32 pm
by John Moore
Oh actually - Burger-King oh and Bigg-Mack was a pairing

Re: Amusing Pairings

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:32 pm
by John Moore
Oh and Short-Cummings

Re: Amusing Pairings

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:08 pm
by Andy Howie
I have been trying to pair Tate and Lyle together at the Scottish for a few years but they are always on different scores.

We have had Marks and Spencer many times though!

Re: Amusing Pairings

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:52 pm
by Paul Habershon
In 'Chess' magazine's now defunct Addicts' Corner column Mike Fox and Richard James had a few months of 'Potty Pairings'. I sent in genuine ones from Bedford Modern School Chess Club tournaments. Best three were Wade-Anker, Singleton-King, Little-Meaney. Can't remember which were actually published.

Re: Amusing Pairings

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:10 am
by Richard James
Norman - Conquest at Hastings for one.