Engines for Game Analysis
Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:31 pm
I have read on various forums that engines have different styles for analysis purposes... aggressive, positional play, draw-ish etc. etc.
So effectively people have a mix of chess engines to represent "human personalities" and will mix engine choice depending upon either the desired outcome or to compare viewpoints.
Whilst a novice, I wish to get more involved in analysing my games and will practice using Aquarium/Chess Assistant on GM and IM games.
Too much choice would be my natural inclination - that is download and buy all available engines, but I will drown in trying to discover the engine styles myself.
I have searched for a list of engine "personalities" but have failed so I hope to short-circuit my natural approach, focus and get some experienced advice from others.
I currently have:
Houdini 2.0b
Deep Rybka 4.1
Deep Shredder 12
Critter 1.2
Komodo 3
What personalities would people place against these five? Is there enough variety? I don't mind spending money as long as I know it will be of benefit.
Any direction would be appreciated...
Cheers
Guy
So effectively people have a mix of chess engines to represent "human personalities" and will mix engine choice depending upon either the desired outcome or to compare viewpoints.
Whilst a novice, I wish to get more involved in analysing my games and will practice using Aquarium/Chess Assistant on GM and IM games.
Too much choice would be my natural inclination - that is download and buy all available engines, but I will drown in trying to discover the engine styles myself.
I have searched for a list of engine "personalities" but have failed so I hope to short-circuit my natural approach, focus and get some experienced advice from others.
I currently have:
Houdini 2.0b
Deep Rybka 4.1
Deep Shredder 12
Critter 1.2
Komodo 3
What personalities would people place against these five? Is there enough variety? I don't mind spending money as long as I know it will be of benefit.
Any direction would be appreciated...
Cheers
Guy