EMail SCAM URGENT MESSAGE

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Stewart Reuben

Re: EMail SCAM URGENT MESSAGE

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:50 pm

Who is the Stewart Rueben about whom Wilf wrote? Is it somebody masquerading as me?

My aol account has indeed been 'compromised' for the second time this year. Anybody who knows me would know that it would require more than $1450 to get me back from Spain if I wanted to be there.

I was surprised, and touched, by the number of disparate people who expressed concern. It is clearly poor security on the part of aol as my email address list with about 1500 addresses is stored there. Somebody else complained of the same scam.

My favourite story regarding this matter is that it was a major news story some years ago that the British Open Golf had provided invitations for 52 Nigerians and only 4 had turned up. Gerry Walsh's comment was, 'Stewart's only surprising would have been that as many as 4 turned up.

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:18 am

Another one just going around!! If you receive an email from Krishna Palmar with just an internet link it is NOT from her. She thinks her computer has been hacked.

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:35 am

From what I gather, this is a aol problem, I have had to spam all my friends who have an aol email

Most people I know who had aol addresses have since create hotmail or google addresses

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:23 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Wilf Arnold wrote:I got one this morning from Stewart Rueben at aol.com - he was mugged in Spain and needs $1450 to get home.
If you get this email I urge you to send no money to get this person repatriated!
That's a bit harsh... :?
... and Wilfully amusing.

adam_hunt

Post by adam_hunt » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:06 pm

Sorry guys- my e-mail was hacked this morning and if you got a random e-mail from me don't open it!

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:19 pm

I also got the scam email from Adam, I think it was the same link as the one I got from Krishna.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:26 pm

adam_hunt wrote:Sorry guys- my e-mail was hacked this morning and if you got a random e-mail from me don't open it!
I deleted both of them :D