Page 1 of 3
Hats at the board
Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:09 am
by JustinHorton
Have there been many players who have been known consistently to prefer wearing a hat at the chessboard?
My enquiry prompted by coming across this photo, from last year's tournament.

Re: Hats at the board
Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:07 am
by Jon D'Souza-Eva
I can only think of those two (Keith Arkell and Mike Surtees) though I dare so most players north of Sheffield wear cloth caps 24 hours a day.
Re: Hats at the board
Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:51 am
by Jonathan Bryant
Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:I can only think of those two (Keith Arkell and Mike Surtees) though I dare so most players north of Sheffield wear cloth caps 24 hours a day.
That's Mike Surtees on the right is it? He's just a
Teenage Dirtbag Baby.
Re: Hats at the board
Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:13 am
by Andrew Stone
Wasn't there some unknown German who owned an electronics shop who wore a hat throughout his amazing performance in an open where he won it with a 2800 result or something?
Re: Hats at the board
Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:36 am
by Jonathan Bryant
Andrew Stone wrote:Wasn't there some unknown German who owned an electronics shop who wore a hat throughout his amazing performance in an open where he won it with a 2800 result or something?
Clemens Allwerman is the chap you refer to, I believe.
http://www.chessbase.com/columns/column.asp?pid=190
Re: Hats at the board
Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:43 am
by Phil Neatherway
Didn't Mark Hebden wear a hat in his younger days? (Around the same time that Murray Chandler walys wore shorts).
Re: Hats at the board
Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:32 pm
by Peter Sharpe
I remember playing a chess match in the North Midlands League for AGD against Sutton about 20 years ago. My opponent (i think his name is Robinson) wore a hat, a white doctor coat and walked barefoot. I remember he was playing in the Derby chess congress when there was a lot of snow that weekend and he was still barefoot! Dont know if he still plays chess as I have not played in the North Midlands league for a long time
Re: Hats at the board
Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:30 pm
by Ian Kingston
Peter Sharpe wrote:I remember playing a chess match in the North Midlands League for AGD against Sutton about 20 years ago. My opponent (i think his name is Robinson) wore a hat, a white doctor coat and walked barefoot. I remember he was playing in the Derby chess congress when there was a lot of snow that weekend and he was still barefoot! Dont know if he still plays chess as I have not played in the North Midlands league for a long time
Sounds like Alan Robinson of Ashfield - still playing in the Notts League.
Re: Hats at the board
Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:08 pm
by James Pratt
Henry Bird wore a top hat. Do I win £5?
Re: Hats at the board
Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:08 pm
by Mike Gunn
I remember seeing David Bronstein playing wearing a bobble hat, overcoat and gloves. (It was on the pier at Hastings.)
Re: Hats at the board
Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:22 pm
by Peter Sharpe
Ian Kingston wrote:Peter Sharpe wrote:I remember playing a chess match in the North Midlands League for AGD against Sutton about 20 years ago. My opponent (i think his name is Robinson) wore a hat, a white doctor coat and walked barefoot. I remember he was playing in the Derby chess congress when there was a lot of snow that weekend and he was still barefoot! Dont know if he still plays chess as I have not played in the North Midlands league for a long time
Sounds like Alan Robinson of Ashfield - still playing in the Notts League.
yes, it is Alan Robinson. Does he still have very long hair, wearing the same hat, white doctor coat and walking barefoot?
Re: Hats at the board
Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:30 pm
by John Philpott
I have been known to wear an Angels baseball cap at the board.
Re: Hats at the board
Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:11 pm
by Ian Kingston
Peter Sharpe wrote:Ian Kingston wrote:Peter Sharpe wrote:I remember playing a chess match in the North Midlands League for AGD against Sutton about 20 years ago. My opponent (i think his name is Robinson) wore a hat, a white doctor coat and walked barefoot. I remember he was playing in the Derby chess congress when there was a lot of snow that weekend and he was still barefoot! Dont know if he still plays chess as I have not played in the North Midlands league for a long time
Sounds like Alan Robinson of Ashfield - still playing in the Notts League.
yes, it is Alan Robinson. Does he still have very long hair, wearing the same hat, white doctor coat and walking barefoot?
Still barefoot; definitely no white coat; hat not ringing any bells; hair not that long (collar length). Desperate time trouble addict: I once saw him spend 70 minutes over his first five moves, leaving just five minutes for the next 30. The result was exactly what you'd expect.
Re: Hats at the board
Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:24 am
by Sarah de Lisle
Random - sorry - wasn't there a guy called Kevin of the Teachers who used to go around barefoot too? Or have I dreamed him?
I can definitely remember Mark wearing a hat in the 1980s - a sort of green sun hat, suited him.
Re: Hats at the board
Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:01 am
by Michael Jones
I recall one opponent from my days in inter-county junior tournaments who played the entire game with a baseball cap pulled right down over her face. I don't wish to use it as an excuse for the result, since she was clearly better than me anyway, but I did find it somewhat disconcerting not to be able to see who I was playing.