Hi Dashiell
I posted this a while back.
No problem with you ignoring my comments but the link leading
to the Kramnik interview you should read.
------------------------------------------
In my opinion, Fishcer would have beaten Karpov in 1975 because
Karpov was not yet Kaprov and Karpov went to pieces in the '78 match
when the pressure and the off board antics flared up.
He allowed 5-2 to become 5-5 within 4 games.
Karpov I fear would has got caught up with the occassion and Fischer
who was at the time the best player in the world, would have out done him
both off and over the board.
The replay in 78 and Karpov without a doubt would have qualified would
have been different and then I'd tip the scales to Karpov.
After getting the title by default Kaprov's tournament success was incredible
as if he was showing the world that he was a worthy champion.
(and he was...but he never had to face Fischer.)
That was an opinion I always held until I saw this:
http://www.kramnik.com/eng/interviews/g ... aspx?id=61
by Kramnik.
Kramnik mentions Karpov had a trump card. Geller!
He had a plus v Fischer and he could have tooled up Karpov in opening prep.
Karpov would have listened.
Geller was one of Spassky's second in '72 but Boris was wee bitty lazy in his prep.
When advised to look at some Queens Gambit lines by his team Boris said;
"Fischer would never play that." (oops) and went off to play tennis.
The Geller angle is something I never considered so now I'm not 100%
sure Fischer would have won, neither is Kramnik.
Kramnik in the linked article states:
" As for level of play Fischer would have been superior to Karpov. However,
if Karpov could have gained a real edge in the opening, the match would have
seen an even contest."
--------------------------------------------------------
Also, you might want to have a word with the English delegate who was at the FIDE
meeting to give some background as to why the match never took place.
I recently had an interesting conversation with Craig Pritchett who was the Scottish rep
at the FIDE meeting. Very enlightening.
You can add the Craig Pritchett coincidence.
In the 1974 Olympiad bc (Before Computers) Bobby sent analysis to the American team
showing a missed win for Craig in his game with Karpov.
Proof that Bobby was still in the game and was very aware of what Karpov was doing.
Another angle may be using Spassky as a yardstick. Counting OTB wins only.
Bobby beat him 6 - 2 in '72 and Karpov beat 4 -1 in '74. (very close).
Any arguments that Spassky was on the wane can be countered by the fact
Spassky qualified for the candidates in '77 losing to Korchnoi 7-4.
Great pity the match never took place. It would have been very even and quite an event.
Good Luck
"Going on the grades Fischer was around 2800 when he became world champion,
Karpov about 2700 in 1975". So Fischer would be a pretty big favorite."
I'm not convinced that numbers decide world title matches.
Infact they don't play any part at all.