League Management web apps

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Upham

League Management web apps

Post by John Upham » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:56 am

I have developed (and am continuing to do so) web apps for local League management. These are PHP and MySQL based but they could be Java / Oracle if you wish.

Here are some examples:

http://www.borderleague.org.uk/

and

http://www.berkshirechess.com/

You are welcome to take a look. Some of the best features are only available via an authenticated login for League Officers and Captains. Soon there will be personalised content for individual players.

John
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:16 am

That's brilliant John.
Do you do websites for other leagues?
I would dearly love to have one for my league but i don't know how to do it.

I currently do everything in Excel for Controlling the League and after that i have to grade it all.
Having a website that anyone can visit to see the updated results and league standings would be a huge bonus.

What's your charge?
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

James Toon

Post by James Toon » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:29 pm

I currently maintain a site (http://www.cscl.org.uk) for the Civil Service Chess League. As a static site it's not very interesting, but it does have the merit of being up-to-date. I try to ensure that all results are posted within 24 hours of receipt. Lots of league websites are updated only infrequently and this is very frustrating for those wanting the latest results.

For next season I intend to convert it into a dynamic site, in two ways: results, fixtures etc will be available by sorting in different ways from a database, and there will be a forum. I was provisionally planning to use PHP and MySQL for these.

I'm not sure what you're offering but I'd be interested to know more. What applications are you using? Are you providing a package that will look like the Border League and Berkshire League websites?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:27 pm

Over the summer I am rewriting the code (PHP & MySQL & JavaScript & HTML) to create a generic package that can work for any League in the country.

It could have

any number of clubs per League,
any number of divsions,
any number of teams per division,
any number of boards per match,
rating limits or not,
nominations or not,
etc etc

All in one configurable package.
I can set it up and be available for support at huge expense!

I did submit these sites for ECF web site of the Year but I saw that the main criteria for winning was "Lots of links". My focus is original content and functionality not links. Anyway, thats another issue.

PM if you want are interested or email me on [email protected]
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D