Forum usage

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
JustinHorton

Re: Forum usage

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:06 pm

OK, I think that's enough Simon Rogers. Can something be done about him?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:09 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:54 pm
Eight, nine...
Paul. Prove it. Where have a criticised you and mentioned your name
I lost Justin a long time ago on Black Lives Matter.
I might start disrupting the Topic Black Lives Matter.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:46 pm

We're in reported post territory now and perhaps something could be done about this guy.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:51 pm

Justin should be reported aswell. I'm considering taking legal action against Justin.
I'm sure a lot of other people might be considering it when they've seen what I've seen.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:10 am

deleted
Last edited by Paul Cooksey on Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:35 am

Paul. I don't want to fall out with you. I have a lot of time for you. I do hope you enjoy reading my chess topic posts as I enjoy yours.
1. I honestly didn't know the ALL LIVES MATTER has racist tones. I just believe in equality, which is why I do a lot of voluntary work.
2. I have some serious personal problems which I'll Private Message to you sometime. I just need a bit of support on the forum from fellow chess players.
3. I've honestly not read all the posts and I honestly not seen yours regarding the junior.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:44 am

As regards to resurrecting topics. I honestly didn't realise it was selfish. I just wanted to talk about Chess rather than politics and wanted all forum members to do the same rather than argue with each other.
I'm also a technophobe, so I don't know what spanning is.
I thought it would also be easier to resurrect and rejuvenate than start 15 new topics on exactly the same subject for example the Dutch Defence and Caro Kann Defence.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:35 am

Paul C>... John McKenna's position that it is unfortunate the words have been subverted...<

Thanks for that mention, Paul.

It is perhaps a bit ironic that you used "subverted" because - in a tiff in that other hot topical thread - I asked Justin to supply an alternative word to my "hijacked" and if he had used your "subverted" I'd have accepted it as better.

My worry is that both sides are having to subvert words to use as ammunition against each other out in the real world and that, and other difficulties, are spilling over into areas such as our chess forum.

I do think Simon has a point when he tries to drag us away from the politics and back to the one thing we all agree we are at home and together in - CHESS!!

I'd like to apologise to all forumites for my, at times, contentious posts and thank Carl & Jack for putting up with them by their light-touch moderation. We are, after all, grownups and can behave better if we try and they give us plenty of latitude to moderate ourselves.

The other thing we all share is that we are in the midst of a dire situation with the virus still on the prowl.

It is as if we've all been sucked into a tunnel - an image used by PM Boris J, on his return, when he said he could see light at the end.

I think Simon wants to get us to look towards the light - not an easy thing to do with not-that-optimistic pessimists such as me droning on.

So, I'll think a lot more about what I'm trying to say and the the best way to put it before I post in future.

Good night/morning to all.

Edit - if someone could kindly relay the gist of this to J T Melsom I'd appreciate it, thanks.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:12 am

John McKenna wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:35 am
I'd like to apologise to all forumites for my, at times, contentious posts and thank Carl & Jack for putting up with them by their light-touch moderation. We are, after all, grownups and can behave better if we try and they give us plenty of latitude to moderate ourselves.
I went to bed early and hence missed the now 14 complaints.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:27 am

Simon Rogers wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:09 pm
I might start disrupting the Topic Black Lives Matter.
Actually no you won't I suspect you will be taking a break from this forum before that point.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:29 am

I removed some posts and just simply closed some complaints hoping people will be calmer this morning otherwise I will just start removing members without any warning just to make my life easier.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:30 am

Good work, Carl.

Hope you don't have to do anything more to make life easier for everyone here in the circumstances.

Cheers!

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:18 pm

"I just wanted to talk about Chess rather than politics and wanted all forum members to do the same rather than argue with each other. "

The first part would be a very good idea! As for the second part, the point of a forum is to discuss things. It's fine to disagree with other people, but unfortunately some people here resort to bullying behaviour.

There are times where it's better to say to yourself "X is talking rubbish - I'll keep out of it."

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:06 pm

Since I was mentioned earlier, I am a little confused on exactly how I offended Simon

I replied back to one of his posts asking for clarification of one of his points (see link for my question/statement)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10834&p=246231#p246231

The next thing I get is a PM which I will not go into detail openly

I have seen no reply to my original post, if people get offended by somebody just asking a question then a forum maybe isn't the best place to be participating

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:23 pm

Hhmm...this thread is clearly missing my calming influence