Forum usage

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Simon Rogers

Re: Forum usage

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:57 pm

Oops typo, meant Matthew.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:02 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:06 am
Simon Rogers wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:51 pm
I don't want to fall out with anyone on the forum and it is upsetting me a lot.
Everyone is equal
ALL LIVES MATTER
How did you find this old thread? just curious.
Hi Matt.
I went through a couple of back pages on General Chat.
There are over 3200 Topics covering 65 pages with some great Topics on chess that have sadly fizzled out,which I am planning to revive gradually.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:12 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:02 pm
There are over 3200 Topics covering 65 pages with some great Topics on chess that have sadly fizzled out,which I am planning to revive gradually.
Some people criticise necroposting. But I think most long term forumites are eager for Roger and I to resume one of our 50 page game fee vs membership threads.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:26 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:12 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
I think most long term forumites are eager for Roger and I to resume one of our 50 page game fee vs membership threads.
Regrettably I've only been on the forum for six weeks.
I think it's a very good idea Paul.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:49 pm

12 years GAP in this thread.
I think Forum usage has increased in the last 13 weeks.
And lovely that some posters think I'm younger than I am.
Simon I enjoy your contributions too.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:58 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:26 pm
I think it's a very good idea Paul.
Seconded.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:09 pm

I thought it was no more than five pages on a repeat cycle. I'm not sure I'd have the stamina for it any more to be honest. Reminds me of a time I was in the Grog and Gruel Fort William when a couple were rehearsing a pub argument which they intended to perform at the Edinburgh Fringe - we only realised they were actors on the second loop. I wonder who you would choose to script a debate for Paul and Roger :)

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:26 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:09 pm
I thought it was no more than five pages on a repeat cycle. I'm not sure I'd have the stamina for it any more to be honest. Reminds me of a time I was in the Grog and Gruel Fort William when a couple were rehearsing a pub argument which they intended to perform at the Edinburgh Fringe - we only realised they were actors on the second loop. I wonder who you would choose to script a debate for Paul and Roger :)
Yesterday you advised me not to contribute to Black LIives Matter and that there were plenty of other topics to post on.
So that's what I am doing.
I will just stick to chess topics and there are another 58 pages on the archive on General Chat alone, which I've not been through yet.
Certain people have personally attacked me on this forum.
As a result I was in tears yesterday evening and came very close to quitting the forum. I am here for the chess only and to learn as much as I can.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:33 pm

Simon,

that's absolutely fine and good. You have reached the conclusion I hoped you would reach as some topics really are a bit contentious. Sorry it caused you to get upset. Hope you continue to enjoy the other topics.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:42 am

Nick Grey wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:49 pm
12 years GAP in this thread.
I think Forum usage has increased in the last 13 weeks.
And lovely that some posters think I'm younger than I am.
Simon I enjoy your contributions too.
Thanks for that Nick.
As I don't have a laptop and rely on my smartphone, it sadly has doubled my monthly phone bill.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:28 am

Simon Rogers wrote:
There are over 3200 Topics covering 65 pages with some great Topics on chess that have sadly fizzled out, which I am planning to revive gradually.
I seem to have been missing for a few days. :roll:

There is no need to revive really old threads unless you have something useful to add to them Simon.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:48 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:28 am
Simon Rogers wrote:
There are over 3200 Topics covering 65 pages with some great Topics on chess that have sadly fizzled out, which I am planning to revive gradually.
I seem to have been missing for a few days. :roll:

There is no need to revive really old threads unless you have something useful to add to them Simon.
Matthew Turner wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:58 pm
Simon,
There is nothing that you have said that would upset 99.9% of people and I have enjoyed your contribution to the forum. I hope that says all that needs saying.
Sorry Carl. Can I send you a private message? Things have upset me on the forum the last few days.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:03 am

Feel free anyone can PM me.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:33 pm

Personally I don’t see any reason why somebody shouldn’t spend time reading very old threads if they find that an interesting way to pass the time. However, if they find a subject that they would like to contribute to (whether “usefully” or otherwise), then I think they should start their own new thread to so do.

A thread is generally a discussion and an opportunity for people to debate and exchange views. It is not fair in general to resurrect old threads which had (usually) run their course, and may even have involved people expressing thoughts or views which they may now no longer hold.

The other problem of course is that if done, en masse and all at once, rather than on an occasional basis is that it results in currently active threads rapidly disappearing from view. And some of which may even be quite interesting. Some.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:22 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:33 pm
Personally I don’t see any reason why somebody shouldn’t spend time reading very old threads if they find that an interesting way to pass the time. However, if they find a subject that they would like to contribute to (whether “usefully” or otherwise), then I think they should start their own new thread to so do.

A thread is generally a discussion and an opportunity for people to debate and exchange views. It is not fair in general to resurrect old threads which had (usually) run their course, and may even have involved people expressing thoughts or views which they may now no longer hold.

The other problem of course is that if done, en masse and all at once, rather than on an occasional basis is that it results in currently active threads rapidly disappearing from view. And some of which may even be quite interesting. Some.
I am sorry if I have resurrected too many threads.
However as I said to Mr Melsom.
Before Thursday evening, I posted on the topics of Black Lives Matter and Chess Life Returning to Normal and then faced personal attacks, which were vitriolic and full of hatred.
As a result, Thursday evening I was in tears and didn't sleep that evening. Those forum members have still not apologised.
So as a result, I have kept my posts on chess only and made sure they were useful and substantial.
I am currently facing some serious personal problems which I will speak to Carl in a Private Message, rather than on this forum, where it will be used against me.
If people want to talk about politics, there is a Not Chess section.
I have noticed a number of topics I have resurrected, people have replied to, for example Chess is Sport.
The openings topics on the Caro-Kann and Dutch Defence surely people find interesting.
I'm sure the many guests that look at forum would rather read the posts on chess rather than a couple of members political views which some people might describe as libellous.
Believe it or not there are children, including from my junior chess club that would rather read the posts on chess and have seen the political posts rather sad.