Page 1 of 1

Karpov playing chess with Martians

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:47 pm
by Christopher Kreuzer
I found a picture of Karpov playing chess with Martians:

http://visualrian.com/images/item/661343

Actually, that site (Russian news agency) has a lot of chess photos:

http://visualrian.com/images?text=chess&section=photo

Here is one of a chess computer from 1976:

http://visualrian.com/images/item/31481

Kasparov visiting a children's hospital in 1988:

http://visualrian.com/images/item/40861

Capablanca and Alekhine (anyone know who the other two are?):

http://visualrian.com/images/item/3110

Same players 11 years later:

http://visualrian.com/images/item/36496

Lots more there for anyone interested in that sort of thing.

Re: Karpov playing chess with Martians

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:36 pm
by Jon D'Souza-Eva
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Capablanca and Alekhine (anyone know who the other two are?):

http://visualrian.com/images/item/3110
Looks like Grigory Levenfish on the right (he didn't play in the tournament, but I believe he was involved in the organisation of it.

Re: Karpov playing chess with Martians

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:56 am
by Christopher Kreuzer
Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Capablanca and Alekhine (anyone know who the other two are?):

http://visualrian.com/images/item/3110
Looks like Grigory Levenfish on the right (he didn't play in the tournament, but I believe he was involved in the organisation of it.
Thanks. Does anyone else agree with that identification?

I've limited my original search to pictures up to 1960 (after that, the numbers start to climb), and there are 44 pictures that might be of interest to those with an interest in chess history, so I'll put those in a separate thread.

Re: Karpov playing chess with Martians

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:27 am
by teddyosbourn
In the second Capablanca picture I think that's Lasker not Alekhine. Nice pics 8)

Re: Karpov playing chess with Martians

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:10 pm
by Michael Jones
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Kasparov visiting a children's hospital in 1988:

http://visualrian.com/images/item/40861
World Chess Champion Garry Kasparov (right) with the children
Just in case we weren't quite sure which one he was...