Forums certainly don't seem to work anything like as well as they should. The Universal Membership Scheme topic (
http://forum.bcfservices.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=247) is generating very little interest, yet if this ever becomes a live issue there's going to be a very heated debate in clubs and associations all over the country. Everyone, including some highly opinionated loudmouths (who could of course run chess better than the current lot with their eyes closed and one arm tied behind their back, but who never quite find the time to get on any local committees or even captain a club team), will be demanding to have their say. A vigorous discussion here would highlight the issues that people think are important and help the ECF to formulate a proposal that would anticipate objections and increase the likelihood of gaining broad support.
Some people have asked that ECF Board members and other officers show their faces here more often. That would probably help. I do understand why they might not do so, of course. Martin Regan (somewhere on this forum) has pointed out how time-consuming this sort of thing can be. I don't post as often as I'd like to for just that reason, and I suspect others feel the same.
Perhaps it's also worth pointing out that even on some very popular blogs and forums, the percentage of people who actually post comments and messages is very small. This forum has 141 members (as I type this), most of whom rarely (if ever) post. Somehow more people need to be encouraged to join and participate.
I think this forum is a valuable one. I've received useful advice and learned a lot. Is there a better way to sell the usefulness of this forum to chess players?