Page 1 of 1

Advice for running a chess tournament

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:53 am
by Laurie Roberts
I help run a chess league and have a reasonable feel for what helps a league to run OK; but I'm much less familiar with the organisation of tournaments.

There are a number of people on here who have talked about the great organisation of e2-e4 tournaments. I think it'd be useful if there was a list of "top tips to running a successful tournament". I have views as a player, but I know little from the admin side. Could anyone list the things they think help make a tournament run smoothly?

Re: Advice for running a chess tournament

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:39 am
by Alex McFarlane
In fear of sounding like Matthew Turner, go to www.ChessScotland.com and then to the CS info page and download Guide for Tournament Organisers. This can be found on the right hand side well down the page. It gives a lot of useful advice.

Re: Advice for running a chess tournament

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:58 am
by James Pratt
The most important thing in chess organisation is to train a deputy otherwise ... one goes, it all falls apart!

Re: Advice for running a chess tournament

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:39 am
by Andrew Camp
When forced into giving someone a bye, always look for the person who has travelled the furthest and therefore likely to have spent the most to take part.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Re: Advice for running a chess tournament

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:08 pm
by Alex Holowczak
Alex McFarlane wrote:In fear of sounding like Matthew Turner, go to http://www.ChessScotland.com and then to the CS info page and download Guide for Tournament Organisers. This can be found on the right hand side well down the page. It gives a lot of useful advice.
That document is very good.

Re: Advice for running a chess tournament

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:48 pm
by Michael Jones
Andrew Camp wrote:When forced into giving someone a bye, always look for the person who has travelled the furthest and therefore likely to have spent the most to take part.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Or, if you find a group of people who have all travelled from the same place, pair them against each other as much as possible.

Re: Advice for running a chess tournament

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:30 pm
by Sean Hewitt
The first thing to do is decide why you are running an event, and who your target audience is. That will make further decisions easier to make as you can always keep these things in mind.

Re: Advice for running a chess tournament

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:05 pm
by Alex Holowczak
Sean Hewitt wrote:The first thing to do is decide why you are running an event
I fear the usual answer to this question would be that you got roped into it at the last <chessorganisation> meeting.

Re: Advice for running a chess tournament

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:17 am
by Sean Hewitt
Alex Holowczak wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:The first thing to do is decide why you are running an event
I fear the usual answer to this question would be that you got roped into it at the last <chessorganisation> meeting.
Alex - I mean why is the event being run.

Re: Advice for running a chess tournament

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:07 pm
by Alex Holowczak
Sean Hewitt wrote:Alex - I mean why is the event being run.
I fear the answer to that question might be "To raise money for <chessorganisation>". :(

But I take your point.

Re: Advice for running a chess tournament

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:19 am
by Laurie Roberts
thanks everyone

Re: Advice for running a chess tournament

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:04 am
by Stewart Reuben
In fear of sonding like myself, try 'Chess Organiser's Handbook'. It doesn't matter which edition. The section on this topic has not changed.
Stewart Reuben