NCCU and the MCF

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Mick Norris

Re: NCCU and the MCF

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:22 pm

Andrew Wainwright wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:55 pm
Mick Norris wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:48 pm
I had actually forgotten that this application process started shortly after my daughter was born; we are currently attending University open days :lol:
Hope you are keeping well Mick.

It took too long. But in the end we got there mate.

Now lets show them all why this was worth fight for.
I am ok thanks Andy, hope you are too, and thanks for all your hard work with this

I was safely in the MCCU (in a cottage in Warwickshire) when I read the good news; seems strange that I left home on Friday from the MCCU and returned home today in the NCCU :D
Any postings on here represent my personal views

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:12 pm

Considerable credit is due to Tim Wall, who appears to have succeeded where others have failed over several decades.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:31 pm

Tim was very strong yesterday in difficult circumstances and kept his cool throughout. He absolutely stood up for the rules as President and managed the meeting superbly. Complete respect from me.
HDCA President

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:18 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:12 pm
Considerable credit is due to Tim Wall, who appears to have succeeded where others have failed over several decades.
Others failed because they didn't realise it was their job to get reliable delegates nominated by the counties. Whatever else you think about Tim, he has a flair for spreadsheets.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:41 pm

Having the energy from tackling this fresh rather than having spent a few decades battering at an implacable brick wall probably helped too :)

Is there any sort of (peace prize!) award that we can try to give the people concerned in making this happen? They definitely deserve something.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:44 pm

You could certainly submit the names of the relevant people for a President's Award, or something of that nature.

Andrew Wainwright

Post by Andrew Wainwright » Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:12 pm

High hopes for the coming years as Chess in the North continues to develop. We have a lot of good people involved now, and a bit of "common sense" is starting to show through :-)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:53 pm

If it is half as competitive as Bury v York in this afternoon's FA Cup, the chess should be good

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:44 pm

(Speaking of Bury and common sense, you'd think it would be a no-brainer for Bury FC Supporters Society, who have the stadium and the name, to merge with Bury AFC, who have the team and most of the fans. I understand some resistance has developed on both sides :roll: Maybe they need Tim Wall to go and sort them out.)
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:49 pm

Please see viewtopic.php?f=46&t=13058 for a post by me about the late Paul Buswell and his involvement in this matter.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:54 am

Chris Goodall wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:44 pm
(Speaking of Bury and common sense, you'd think it would be a no-brainer for Bury FC Supporters Society, who have the stadium and the name, to merge with Bury AFC, who have the team and most of the fans. I understand some resistance has developed on both sides :roll: Maybe they need Tim Wall to go and sort them out.)
Bury AFC was 94% in favour, so I think it is wrong to say there was resistance on both sides; the other side were 63% in favour, but that's short of the 2/3rds majority needed

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:55 am

I am told that Bill O'Rourke has resigned as President of Lancashire and they have not entered any teams in the NCCU county championships this season

G Man have entered 6 teams

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:03 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:55 am
I am told that Bill O'Rourke has resigned as President of Lancashire and they have not entered any teams in the NCCU county championships this season

G Man have entered 6 teams
Well that's thoroughly mature of them. Hopefully a short term thing.

Good to have 6 GM teams :)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:41 am

Do the Lancashire players who actually want to play chess now transfer to GMan? Or, here's a thought. Why not start a new Lancashire Association and ask to affiliate to ECF, as the new association is representing the players' interests? (This is supposed to be an aim of chess.) ECF would probably decline the application, which would start a whole new argument.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:26 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:41 am
Do the Lancashire players who actually want to play chess now transfer to GMan? Or, here's a thought. Why not start a new Lancashire Association and ask to affiliate to ECF, as the new association is representing the players' interests? (This is supposed to be an aim of chess.) ECF would probably decline the application, which would start a whole new argument.
For that matter, some of them play for Calderdale in the Yorkshire league, so could presumably turn out for Yorkshire :) Heywood/Blue club in the GM league likely cover more.

In practice I suspect most people actually have a county they have a 'genuine' attachment to.

The second does feel like far too extreme a step. Must be easier, if not trivial, to get different leadership in place.