Improve membership

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Warren Kingston

Improve membership

Post by Warren Kingston » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:07 pm

Hi everyone,

Having just become club secretary for Lowestoft Chess Club and my main aim is to improve the membership numbers. Apart from kidnapping what are the ways to attract new members to the club, or more to the point, what ways have other clubs tackled this problem?

Many thanks

Warren

P.S Visit our brand new website http://www.lowestoftchessclub.orgif you have nothing better to do.

Adam Raoof

Attracting New Members

Post by Adam Raoof » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:21 pm

Hi Warren - I guess I had nothing better to do ;-)

First of all, congratulations, and good luck in your new post. You have overcome the first obstacle, which is to design an attractive and informative website.

Looking at the site as a potential new member, I can't find directions to the golf club, especially for public transport. A photo of the venue on the front page would also be enticing.

Think about organising a fundraising / publicity event such as an annual rapidplay. If you are going to put something on, I can send you some guidelines that you might find useful.

Minor points: on the links page you refer to the BCF, and of course it's the ECF. The quote at the foot of the front page is accurate, but possibly not going to attract female members!
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Alan Kennedy

Re: Improve membership

Post by Alan Kennedy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:49 am

Hi Warren - my first post to the forum! At Witney chess club we almost folded four years ago but now we are up to twenty five members and eight juniors. We have increased from one to three teams in the Oxford League and last year were second in division 1. We did the following:

1 Made a big fuss of any new member when they first arrived - this was key people found us by the directories and the web but stayed because we were friendly
2 Made sure club nights were always interesting
3 Held a junior tournament
4 Contacted all former members to tell them we were up and running
5 Started a junior section (very good because it attracts parents) but hard work.
6 Made sure that we had a library - so beginners and improvers could learn quickly. The books by Tim Onions in the starting out section were ideal for juniors and parents alike as were the worksheets from chesskids. We would also send links to all the good websites for new members including chess cube and Exeter chess club (ideal for coaching)
7 Held social events so that the wives could be involved as well. There was a quiz night and the end of season dinner - good fun.
8 If a good player turned up we made sure that our first team players were on hand to give him good games
9 Organised blitz tournaments and evenings with the local grandmaster,
10 We were superbly supported by Mike Truran who came to coach the club almost every week - even though he outgraded us by more than 70 points (thanks Mike)
11 Sent out regular newsletters so people felt included
12 Linked up with and merged with other village clubs - played matches against them and included them in our teams - this helped alot in the early days when we struggled to get players.
13 Set up a strong committee - that was key that we shared the load.
14 Organised local sponsorship - the local computer shop paid us 10% of all gross profits on the purchase of laptops and other computer kit. It helped with the finances.

the result Witney chess club is a very good place to play chess! It took a lot of hard work but was worth it. Hope you do well.

Warren Kingston

Re: Improve membership

Post by Warren Kingston » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:16 am

Thanks for that, some top notch ideas there. Because we are now at the local golf club we are hoping to attract new members from them, esp youngsters.

The website hasn't been completed yet Adam, but have noted your comments. The part of the BCF is cut straight from the Norfolk Chess site Adam. Will change though.

Will keep you up to date on progress. Alan would you like to "twin" with our club? Play some games online, and generally be club friends?? Will add your website to our link page for you as well.

Warren