BCM: Change of Editor

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Sean Hewitt

Re: BCM: Change of Editor

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:54 pm

John Saunders wrote:I can indeed write about them in the August pages of the BCM. Still two more issues to go, chaps. Possible articles: "Worst Arbiting Decisions Ever"
Would two issues be enough? :D

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:11 pm

The new editor - "He is also a well-known chess author, journalist and translator, whose books have been warmly received, and whose witty and informative tournament reporting has become a regular feature of such major British chess events as Hastings and the Staunton Memorial."

Yes well we all remember the ad nauseam accounts of what he had for breakfast during Simpsons - and the response he wrote on this forum to those who criticised his writing style (I think that was in 2008). He also supported the decision to charge for the online games last year, and applauded the decision of the Times to charge users for online access, saying that this is the way forward. Will BCM be doing this?

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:39 pm

I was too shy to write that. ;) Yes, it will be interesting to see whether he has changed his religion from Penguin genuflection. I hope his new ideas do not include retreads from some of the chess world's most prolific writers.

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:05 pm

Shame to see you go as you put a lot of excellent effort into the BCM.

Question is were you pushed or did you jump? :)

(or you were jumping and someone pushed at the same time)

David Lettington

Post by David Lettington » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:02 pm

John has obviously done a great job and will be a difficult act to follow, but perhaps people should give Steve a chance before coming to a judgement?

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:58 pm

Though I enjoy badinage as much (if not more) than the next man (or woman), and will continue to indulge myself here from time to time, I hope the forum will understand if I refrain from comment on some questions and points raised on this thread.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:08 pm

"Clearly, some people on the forum now feel it is open season to tease me since I can no longer take revenge on them in the august pages of the BCM. But they are wrong. Very wrong. For I can indeed write about them in the August pages of the BCM. Still two more issues to go, chaps. Possible articles: "Worst Arbiting Decisions Ever", "Unexpurgated, Never-Before-Revealed Secrets of Redhill Chess Club". Be afraid, Be very afraid."

Ah John, I might feature in both of those... In that case, I apologise unreservedly for any offence caused. And any time you visit Redhill CC, I would be proud to offer you refreshment at the local pub afterwards. Now you have cast off the shackles of BCM, perhaps you will return to your unfettered journalism of the Dinosaur days?
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:12 pm

Are you sure you mean 'unfettered' and not 'unhinged'?
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:31 pm

Well, could we at least have an article in your final BCM on John Saunders best games, with special emphasis on the Berkshire League circa 1980? I think that would be infinitely more interesting than the latest FIDE World Cup.