Introducing a new rule in chess!

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Alan Walton

Re: Introducing a new rule in chess!

Post by Alan Walton » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:56 pm

I think extreme is quite a understatement in this case, though I can see your point and hope people aren't that cynical to use this as a ploy to off-put their opponent. I hope most people would honour the draw offer anyway

matt_ward

Post by matt_ward » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:46 pm

The rules in chess are more complicated than the game!

Matt.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:23 pm

matt_ward wrote:The rules in chess are more complicated than the game!

Matt.
Could be worse - take golf for instance. Their rules go on forever, with ridiculous complexity, considering the aim is to hit a little ball with big sticks from point a to b in as few shots as possible. To make matters worse, the R&A, PGA, and European PGA each have their own set of rules!

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:36 am

I recall someone complaining that a blind player's guide dog was making a noise, by wagging his tail, which was hitting the table. I decided not to punish the player for introducing a source of noise into the venue. I asked the dog to keep quiet and he wagged his tail to show he understood.

On Matt's original point, repeated draw offers are annoying. I have spoken to a number of junior coaches and organisers and asked if they ever bother with teaching etiquette, thankfully some say "yes", but others think it is not their responsibility. At Guernsey many years ago, a player approached the junior coach (who was also an arbiter) and complained two of the juniors were openly discussing their games and what did he (the coach) intend to do about the cheating. "That's nothing to do with me", was the rather unhelpful reply. I hope this is an isolated case.
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

teddyosbourn

Post by teddyosbourn » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:47 am

In order to stop what may be considered as annoying / repetitive draw offers, could a player not simply tell the offerer that he wants to play on unless stated otherwise? I don't think draw offers require new rulings - just a small amount of communication.

Quick question though - after I've made my move and offered the draw, should I press the clock? I do, but would anyone consider it bad etiquette?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:13 am

teddyosbourn wrote:Quick question though - after I've made my move and offered the draw, should I press the clock? I do, but would anyone consider it bad etiquette?
Of course the clock is pressed - the opponent uses their own time in deciding whether to accept.

Slightly more open to debate are the ethics of offering a draw when your opponent is seriously short of time. On the one hand you're agreeing to let him off a potential loss on time, on the other hand a draw offer could be seriously distracting.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:27 am

Ian Kingston wrote:I admit that I'm describing an extreme situation. Let's say that Player A has just 1 or 2 seconds left. Player B moves, and while in the process of transferring his hand to the clock he also says 'Would you like a draw?', pressing the clock the instant he finishes making the offer - all completely legal. Player A might just be distracted for long enough to lose on time even if he wanted to accept the offer.
I think calling this a distraction is wrong. Its a normal part of the game so long as the draw offer is made following the procedure set out in the rules. If your opponent hesitates because of the offer and runs out of time as a result that's his fault for leaving himself with so little time. After all, it only takes a fraction of a second to say "Yes".
Ian Kingston wrote:But what should the arbiter do if Player B now claims the win? Was Player A distracted by the draw offer or not? Did Player A accept the draw immediately, or only after Player B claimed the win on time? Was the draw offer a deliberate attempt at distraction?
I asked a similar question above. Unfortunately, the answer I got started off by saying "Loss" and then changed to "Draw" in the further comments, so I wonder how carefully the responder read my question.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:29 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:On the one hand you're agreeing to let him off a potential loss on time, on the other hand a draw offer could be seriously distracting.
I always find draw offers distracting. I don't think I've ever offered a draw unless I need one for the sake of the team, or to get to a specific score to get into the next round of a tournament (and only then if we both need a draw).

I find it really annoying when you get to about 5-10 moves short of the time control, and in a position that's clearly got lots of life in it, but you're a bit short of time, and you get a draw offer. I would never have dreamed of offering one, but now I'm suddenly offered one, and I lose concentration.

matt_ward

Post by matt_ward » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:06 pm

I think this rule would be great, I can't see anything against it personally I think it is absurd that coaches don't teach the students good manors over the board, how can they say it's not there responsibility I think under a certain age of 16 it should be taught to the student by the coach.

Any age above they are more than capable of knowing themselves.

Matt.