Page 1 of 1

I wasn't expecting this...

Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2025 1:38 pm
by John Upham
Via Rewind TV I was watching Season 1, Episode 4 of Jack Hargreaves' Old Country and was surprised to hear him discussing our game.

He mentioned a former (Russian) World Champion who tried to introduce the Herald piece and he also mentioned Capablanca who he thought was Mexican. :D

Anyone know if the Herald story had any truth to it?

I remember JH fondly from the HOW Thames Television series with Bunty James, Jon Miller and Fred DInenage.

Re: I wasn't expecting this...

Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2025 3:18 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
I thought it was Capa who proposed adding two extra pieces?

Re: I wasn't expecting this...

Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2025 3:48 pm
by Jon D'Souza-Eva
Matt Mackenzie wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 06, 2025 3:18 pm
I thought it was Capa who proposed adding two extra pieces?
Pietro Carrera was probably the first to propose adding two extra pieces to each side. I don't know what a Herald piece is - googling suggests that it a strange one with the power to prevent adjacent pieces (both friend and foe) from moving, but surely the piece John is talking about is something different to this?

Re: I wasn't expecting this...

Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2025 6:47 pm
by John Upham
JH suggested that the Herald piece replaced the bishop.

I read a reference to Hort talking about a Herald piece but not sure how reliable that is in these days of unreliable AI generated search results.