Illegal move during match - what to do

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Dave Roberts

Illegal move during match - what to do

Post by Dave Roberts » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:58 am

I've searched the forum for an answer to this but didn't find one. I've been drafted as the captain of a new team - though I am not very good and have not much experience.

In our match last week, the person playing board two had about 12 minutes left when he made an illegal move (moved into check), his opponent was in time trouble. Both myself and the opposing captain saw the move. What should we have done? We did nothing as it is their game, but I'm unsure what, if anything ought to be done.

The FIDE rules state:

a.
If during a game it is found that an illegal move, including failing to meet the requirements of the promotion of a pawn or capturing the opponent’s king, has been completed, the position immediately before the irregularity shall be reinstated. If the position immediately before the irregularity cannot be determined the game shall continue from the last identifiable position prior to the irregularity. The clocks shall be adjusted according to Article 6.13. The Articles 4.3 and 4.6 apply to the move replacing the illegal move. The game shall then continue from this re-instated position.

But it does not say who should see the illegal move.

Any help would be appreciated.

dave roberts

Kevin Thurlow

Re: Illegal move during match - what to do

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:01 am

Depending on the league, the captains or deputies can frequently act as arbiters. A few years ago, (when it was unclear what powers the captains had) I was playing in the Civil Service league and noticed one of my colleagues castling queenside, having previously played Rxa4, then Ra8. (Yes, it was a weird position.) It was early in the session. Unfortunately, he was the captain so I couldn't tell him as it could be construed as giving advice, but I was playing their captain, so I stopped the clock and told him we needed to talk. I explained what happened and we agreed to tell the players. The opposing player complained when we did, but I explained to him that if they reached the end of the session, if one player were going to win on adjudication, the other side would be able to point out the illegality, at which point the position before the illegality is set up, the clocks adjusted, and play is supposed to continue. But it can't, as we have reached the end of the session and security want us to leave the building, and it can't be adjudicated from the earlier position as the league rules demand that at least 36 moves are played, so the game would be void. Of course if they finished the game before the illegality was pointed out, the result would stand.

So I think the best thing to do is to consult the opposing captain. It does depend what your league rules say.
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:06 am

Kevin is correct. Some leagues allow captains to essentially act as arbiter - in which case they should point out the illegality. But some don't allow this, in which case you have to bite your tongue and say nothing!

Phil Neatherway

Post by Phil Neatherway » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:23 am

The other point about this is, does touch and move apply? Many years ago, as Black I played Kg8-f8 forgetting about a N on d7. My opponent insisted that having touched the king, I moved it. My only other move was Kg8-h8 and I therefore lost 2 critical tempi in an ending. I think my opponent was quite right.

Phil Neatherway

Post by Phil Neatherway » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:25 am

Dave,

you could always submit your question to Geurt Gijssen on the Chess Cafe website. See for example http://www.chesscafe.com/geurt/geurt.htm

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:40 am

The Chess Arbiters' Association has commented version of the Laws, which helps in this situation regarding this law.

{Article 7.4 If present the Arbiter should step in immediately to avoid escalation of the situation. Spectators should bring the situation to the Arbiter’s attention and not to the players. It is preferable that the Arbiter supervises any reconstruction, both to establish, as far as possible, the correct sequence of events and to ensure that the players do not exceed acceptable noise levels. If the illegal move was caused by a failure to get out of check the Arbiter should ensure that the touched piece is moved if possible to block the check or capture the attacking piece.}

So the answer seems to be, yes, the arbiters should step in, or in this case, the captains if it was in their remit to act as arbiter. It would also have been touch move on whatever piece was touched, providing it could make a legal move. The opponent would get an extra two minutes too.

However, if you just plead ignorance, and say you didn't see it, I don't think anyone would complain. Personally, I've only ever seen this rule implemented on a player-complaint basis, which is probably how this rule works in the real world.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:47 am

Phil, yes (your opponent was right). As Kevin says the correct thing to do is to get the captains involved when this type of situation arises. Team-mates (or spectators) should not intervene when they see an illegal move, such an action is likely to lead to a free for all, apart from the possibilities of getting the rules wrong, distracting the players etc.

Anthony Taglione

Post by Anthony Taglione » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:15 am

As a kibitzer or member of the team, the socially-correct thing to do is to contact the arbiter or captain.

On the other hand, the rules are very clear and precise:
"If during a game it is found that an illegal move, including failing to meet the requirements of the promotion of a pawn or capturing the opponent’s king, has been completed, the position immediately before the irregularity shall be reinstated."

It doesn't mention who spots the illegality, since it isn't relevant who spots the irregularity. Pointing it out to the players could be viewed as a distraction but it certainly isn't advice. As a captain, I'd suggest that the correct thing to do is to stop the clocks forthwith and correct the issue. I might even suggest that it's a captain's duty to do this, to uphold the laws of chess.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:35 am

Hi Dave.

Need more details. What was the outcome of the game?
Did your guy win?
Was he getting beat?
Did the result of the match depend upon this game?

As captain If you spot something like this you have to think quick.
Will stopping the game and making the lad play another King move (touch move applies),
be good for your guy?

You say your guy was in TT so by stepping in you could have gained
him extra thinking time.

However, experience tells me it's often best not to get involved.

Once when I was captain of Sandy Bells 1 v Wardie 1, I won my board 1 game
in 12 moves, (opening trap No.76) so I looked at the other games in progress.

Something rarely do as I find it all rather depressing.

Their board 2 was a blind lad and the position on his special peg board
and the position in front of my board 2 differed quite alarmingly and it was
only 10-12 moves into the game.

So I beckoned to my board 5 to come outside where I explained that as
I had finished I was going home, could he fill out the result card and post it off.
Adding phone me that night with the result.

"No probelm Geoff."

That night at 11.15 I got a call telling me all hell had broken loose during the match.

So it's sometimes best not to get involved.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:48 pm

I recall Simon LeBlancq playing a weak opponent in a Rapidplay, and was initially puzzled that he had not pointed out the opponent had not got out of a double-check. Simon then played a third check and his opponent said, "Oh I never saw that", and shook hands.
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Anthony Taglione

Post by Anthony Taglione » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:57 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:I recall Simon LeBlancq playing a weak opponent in a Rapidplay, and was initially puzzled that he had not pointed out the opponent had not got out of a double-check. Simon then played a third check and his opponent said, "Oh I never saw that", and shook hands.
That name is a blast from the past. Simon and I spent many, many hours playing blitz and analysing lines while we were at University. He was the only one of us with a car, which we used to refer to as "the Onq-mobile". :)

We even managed to find a refutation of a then-popular Dragon line, which I was lucky enough to play against a GM in a fast-play tournament. Darned if I can even recall which variation it was in, now.

Dave Roberts

Post by Dave Roberts » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:01 am

Geoff Chandler wrote:Hi Dave.

Need more details. What was the outcome of the game?
Did your guy win?
Was he getting beat?
Did the result of the match depend upon this game?

As captain If you spot something like this you have to think quick.
Will stopping the game and making the lad play another King move (touch move applies),
be good for your guy?

You say your guy was in TT so by stepping in you could have gained
him extra thinking time.

However, experience tells me it's often best not to get involved.

Once when I was captain of Sandy Bells 1 v Wardie 1, I won my board 1 game
in 12 moves, (opening trap No.76) so I looked at the other games in progress.

Something rarely do as I find it all rather depressing.

Their board 2 was a blind lad and the position on his special peg board
and the position in front of my board 2 differed quite alarmingly and it was
only 10-12 moves into the game.

So I beckoned to my board 5 to come outside where I explained that as
I had finished I was going home, could he fill out the result card and post it off.
Adding phone me that night with the result.

"No probelm Geoff."

That night at 11.15 I got a call telling me all hell had broken loose during the match.

So it's sometimes best not to get involved.
Hi Geoff,

my guy lost anyway and was in a lost position. But he wasn't in time trouble. At that point, the score 1-2 against us, so we would have drawn had he won. I don't think he would have unless the other player's time ran out. But I wasn't really concerned about the result as much as what to do in the situation.

I've emailed the secretary of the club who said you do nothing and once the game is over, it's over. Not sure of that's correct though.

dave

Dave Roberts

Post by Dave Roberts » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:02 am

Anthony Taglione wrote:As a kibitzer or member of the team, the socially-correct thing to do is to contact the arbiter or captain.

On the other hand, the rules are very clear and precise:
"If during a game it is found that an illegal move, including failing to meet the requirements of the promotion of a pawn or capturing the opponent’s king, has been completed, the position immediately before the irregularity shall be reinstated."

It doesn't mention who spots the illegality, since it isn't relevant who spots the irregularity. Pointing it out to the players could be viewed as a distraction but it certainly isn't advice. As a captain, I'd suggest that the correct thing to do is to stop the clocks forthwith and correct the issue. I might even suggest that it's a captain's duty to do this, to uphold the laws of chess.
Ah, but I am the captain. The main reason being that I have a car and can drive everyone to our away matches.

Dave Roberts

Post by Dave Roberts » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:03 am

Phil Neatherway wrote:Dave,

you could always submit your question to Geurt Gijssen on the Chess Cafe website. See for example http://www.chesscafe.com/geurt/geurt.htm
Good idea - that's one of my favourite chess websites.

Dave Roberts

Post by Dave Roberts » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:12 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:Depending on the league, the captains or deputies can frequently act as arbiters. A few years ago, (when it was unclear what powers the captains had) I was playing in the Civil Service league and noticed one of my colleagues castling queenside, having previously played Rxa4, then Ra8. (Yes, it was a weird position.) It was early in the session. Unfortunately, he was the captain so I couldn't tell him as it could be construed as giving advice, but I was playing their captain, so I stopped the clock and told him we needed to talk. I explained what happened and we agreed to tell the players. The opposing player complained when we did, but I explained to him that if they reached the end of the session, if one player were going to win on adjudication, the other side would be able to point out the illegality, at which point the position before the illegality is set up, the clocks adjusted, and play is supposed to continue. But it can't, as we have reached the end of the session and security want us to leave the building, and it can't be adjudicated from the earlier position as the league rules demand that at least 36 moves are played, so the game would be void. Of course if they finished the game before the illegality was pointed out, the result would stand.

So I think the best thing to do is to consult the opposing captain. It does depend what your league rules say.
This is a very good idea. I don't know if captains act as arbiter or not. In fact, I don't even know if we have league rules, but I shall check up on this and let y'all know.