David Glueck (Oxfordshire team 1991-2)

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Christopher Kreuzer

Re: David Glueck (Oxfordshire team 1991-2)

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:28 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:42 pm
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:08 pm
Many thanks Brian (and others). That list by Adrian Elwin is perfect for the Beds one. Who might be best to contact about the Oxfordshire history?

Any chance Andrew Ledger might still have his game from that match?
He told me he has it. I asked for it some time ago but he didn't hand it over, I can ask him again.
That would be good if he still has the game. Thank you.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:31 pm

Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:24 pm
Did he play for Oxfordshire?
He was based there for several years, so almost certainly yes.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:21 pm

Thank you. Hopefully someone will be able to firm up the Oxfordshire side of things. Many thanks to Paul Habershon for posting the deciding game from back then!

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:42 pm

I suspect Mr. Habershon has quite some experience of winning matches for Bedfordshire.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:54 pm

Looking at the SCCU bulletins September 1991 to July 1992 (on the SCCU website) it is revealed that D Glueck played in most of Oxfordshire's county matches that season with a single loss to SH (has to be Steve) Berry, and wins over N (has to be Neil) L(?) Mcdonald by adjudication, JP Manley, FJ Kwiatkowski and a draw against Linton.

Additionally, the September issue reveals he also played on board 1 for Oxon in 1991 Minor Counties Final against Worcestershire (he drew) and the Oxon player on board 2 was a certain MC Truran.
Last edited by Mike Gunn on Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin Williamson

Post by Kevin Williamson » Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:10 pm

Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:11 am
On the general principle that the 1990s are not yet (quite) far away enough in time to be history (so putting this in General Chat), can anyone help with memories of a player and match that took place nearly 32 years ago?

I have put the name of the player (strong former US junior and FM David Glueck) in the title, as I am hoping that the draw he played on top board with future IM Andrew Ledger (IM title obtained in 1994) may be available.

Apologies if this is already in the databases (had a quick look but nothing, may have been looking in the wrong place).

The match scorecard is here (Minor Counties Final between Bedfordshire and Oxfordshire):

Screenshot 2024-03-08 142440.png

Who captained/picked the Oxfordshire team for that final on 20 June 1992? I have not yet looked back to earlier rounds to see if Glueck was playing then.

Can anyone help with getting full names and grades for both teams, and any of the games? I know the first names of some, but not all. Simon Ansell (aged about 17) was a strong junior (IM title in 1996) and on board 2 next to Glueck.

Bit more on team names here.

If enough games are known and there are published accounts of the match, I will put some of this in a Chess History thread. Not sure if Britbase collects County Championship games between strong players?

EDIT: James N. Stayt an active chess player.

Is F van Hasselt Frank van Hasselt (born 1968) who played in three Varsity Matches? "Van Hasselt, Frank New 1988/4 1989/5 1991/5" (from Britbase, looks like three as an undergraduate). Appears to be registered for Hong Kong now: 2175, but stronger when younger. Might be this person:

"studied Philosophy and Modern Languages at Oxford"

But maybe not. Paging Brian... :D
Many thanks to Andy (and Steve) Ledger for providing the attached game score...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:20 am

Kevin Williamson wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:10 pm
Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:11 am
On the general principle that the 1990s are not yet (quite) far away enough in time to be history (so putting this in General Chat), can anyone help with memories of a player and match that took place nearly 32 years ago?

I have put the name of the player (strong former US junior and FM David Glueck) in the title, as I am hoping that the draw he played on top board with future IM Andrew Ledger (IM title obtained in 1994) may be available.

Apologies if this is already in the databases (had a quick look but nothing, may have been looking in the wrong place).

The match scorecard is here (Minor Counties Final between Bedfordshire and Oxfordshire):

Screenshot 2024-03-08 142440.png

Who captained/picked the Oxfordshire team for that final on 20 June 1992? I have not yet looked back to earlier rounds to see if Glueck was playing then.

Can anyone help with getting full names and grades for both teams, and any of the games? I know the first names of some, but not all. Simon Ansell (aged about 17) was a strong junior (IM title in 1996) and on board 2 next to Glueck.

Bit more on team names here.

If enough games are known and there are published accounts of the match, I will put some of this in a Chess History thread. Not sure if Britbase collects County Championship games between strong players?

EDIT: James N. Stayt an active chess player.

Is F van Hasselt Frank van Hasselt (born 1968) who played in three Varsity Matches? "Van Hasselt, Frank New 1988/4 1989/5 1991/5" (from Britbase, looks like three as an undergraduate). Appears to be registered for Hong Kong now: 2175, but stronger when younger. Might be this person:

"studied Philosophy and Modern Languages at Oxford"

But maybe not. Paging Brian... :D
Many thanks to Andy (and Steve) Ledger for providing the attached game score...
Well done Kevin. Nice little exchange sac by Andy at the end there.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:49 am

Just out of interest, is there some sort of story of significance behind this particular match- a random draw in a county game from 30 years ago doesn't seem like one that most people would likely have kept in mind without a good reason?
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Brian Valentine

Post by Brian Valentine » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:00 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:49 am
Just out of interest, is there some sort of story of significance behind this particular match- a random draw in a county game from 30 years ago doesn't seem like one that most people would likely have kept in mind without a good reason?
I quite enjoy having Britbase updates on this forum. Why do you think this is more random than Wainwright v Lomans 1911 given it that thread?

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:06 pm

Hi Joey. No particular significance. Just me doing a deep dive into more recent history and seeing "where people are now" for some of the participants in that match.

What started it was MJMcready saying that Glueck was American, me wondering why he was in Oxford, unearthing the academic connection (Glueck has been a professor at Dartmouth College for a long time and inactive in chess for even longer, but was a strong US junior) and the research going from there (mainly, per Mike Gunn, using SCCU bulletins).

I have a particular interest in "foreign stars" playing in the UK, by which I mean those from abroad popping up unexpectedly and (usually) strengthening County and Club teams. It can highlight some interesting connections.

In the vein of "where are they now", I have also looked at Heidi Heron, who was also an active junior and appears in the lists of British champions (1989 and 1990 I think, haven't finished the notes yet) and qualified for the WFM title (per a list Lawrence Cooper posted in 2012). But she vanishes almost without trace after completing her PhD in neutrino physics at Oxford.

Either she dropped out of public view, or she married and the connection to any married name is not obvious. I have established that the Heidi Heron in Australia (NLP practioner) is not her, but have not been able to get any further. I am wary of digging too much where people may want to stay private (e.g. there are 10 other people named Heidi in the ECF rating list, but I am not going to start seeing if any are Heron under a married name, partly because I think it unlikely she would not have wanted to retain a link to her junior chess, it is more likely she gave up chess altogether).

(EDIT: From Britbase: "Heidi Denise Heron's married name is Heidi Munn.")

A similar treatment of some of the County Chess finals in the early 1990s or 1980s (or any period, really) may throw up similar vignettes. Some find it interesting, some may not. :D

PS. I am also assuming that the games David Glueck played would have been quite good! I may try and contact him as he may possibly have a box somewhere with all his old scoresheets. Or he may not have kept them.
Last edited by Christopher Kreuzer on Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:38 pm

PPS. Have been told that a regular player for that Oxfordshire team was US IM Stuart Rachels:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Rachels

Apparently he was not available for the final. Need to check which county matches he played in (leaving that for another day).

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:18 pm

Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:06 pm
I have a particular interest in "foreign stars" playing in the UK, by which I mean those from abroad popping up unexpectedly and (usually) strengthening County and Club teams. It can highlight some interesting connections.
Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:38 pm
PPS. Have been told that a regular player for that Oxfordshire team was US IM Stuart Rachels:
Another strong American playing for Oxfordshire around that time was Jesse Kraai. I played him (Berkshire v Oxfordshire) on 31 October 1992.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:45 pm

That is interesting, Ian, thanks!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Kraai

He went on to become a GM. I wonder what he was doing in Oxfordshire aged 20? He doesn't appear in the Varsity matches, but his US education started around that time: "He received his B.A. from Shimer College in 1994"". He may have been in Oxford on some undergraduate scholarship? Or maybe a gap year playing chess?

He played in the London Junior Championships 1992 (the U21/U18 section), tying with Graeme Buckley on 5/6.

It appear Kraai lived in Cowley while in the UK:

https://streathambrixtonchess.blogspot. ... n-row.html
https://justinhorton.blogspot.com/2006/ ... -five.html
I once played a chess tournament in Stroud with a clubmate of mine, Jesse Kraai, who was from New Mexico but was in England to study.
Also, from here (in the comments):

https://chessdailynews.com/kraai-the-ne ... erican-gm/
About twelve years ago Jesse played a season or two for my club, Cowley, in Oxford, England. He had very long hair in those days!

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:06 pm

We can only assume Oxfordshire and Cambridgeshire were prime locations for gifted talents abroad and both respective universities have had their fair share over the years.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:11 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:06 pm
We can only assume Oxfordshire and Cambridgeshire were prime locations for gifted talents abroad and both respective universities have had their fair share over the years.
That is a fair summary. Though the same would apply to other universities as well. The precise figures over the years would make interesting reading.