Best Game by an English Player (the vote)

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Jon D'Souza-Eva

Re: Best Game by an English Player (the vote)

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:19 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:57 pm
Game 22 M. G. Atkins vs Jacobs London 1915. links to https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=2020563 Michael Glover Atkins vs Herbert Jacobs which is a good game but (and remember I do not yet have the book.) is it not https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1622777 Henry Ernest Atkins vs Herbert Jacobs London 1915 which is a well known classic.
Thanks Geoff. It is indeed that game, though the author of the book thinks White was Michael Glover Atkins, who died a year after this game was played (if indeed it was played): https://www.bedfordchess.co.uk/bcm/#BCM_G011

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:10 am

Hi Jon,

I know there is some kind of cloud over that game, did it happen etc... But when I first saw it in Du Mont's 200 miniatures I frothed with delight. It was one of the first game I memorised and I was showing it to everyone, even non players. In that respect I do not care if it was composed or whatever. It's a jaw dropping experience to see it for the first time. I only clicked on the link just to see it again and it was then I thought perhaps there is a wee mistake here.

I want to change my vote to that game. :D (no I'll stay with Nigel.)

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:55 am

I know, I know .... we can't keep amending the list to include all our personal favourites, but a game which includes what Emanuel Lasker himself called "one of the best (or deepest) sacrifices in the history of chess" deserves at least an honourable mention.

Abrahams-Spencer (Liverpool, 1930): https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1491742
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:37 am

I've gone through all the games now and I'm going to have to vote for the same game as Geoff:
No.72 Short - Timman 1991.

John Townsend

Post by John Townsend » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:46 am

Regarding the Atkins v Jacobs brilliancy, please note that Edward Winter's https://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/young.html has two relevant items (C.N.s 7096 and 7147).

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:30 am

No 6, the Boden - Macdonnell game is the 1869 game and the date is given correctly for the game itself in the book. It is the index of games that is in error.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:45 am

Perhaps someone should mention that Short himself hates all the attention given to the Timman game. Not that this should deprive anyone from regarding it as their own favourite, but one might like to contemplate why. I should imagine that it was because the king march was not unprecedented, indeed Short had already won a game that way in a rapidplay match v Kasparov (game 3, 1987; I guess that many of us saw it on television!). So he remembered it rather than found it. In fact, Mr Pratten probably showed more inspiration in Portsmouth back in 1948.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:53 pm

Hi Jonathan,

I met Nigel a few years ago and I brought up the Timman game (oops!) Nigel was very polite in saying he is always getting asked about it but I could see an exasperated look. I recovered quickly enough to suggested he call his book of best games 'Not The Timman Game!' and not include it.

Alekhine and Tarrasch had similar games but this game struck a chord with so many. It was also voted best game in Informator 53.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:40 pm

I like the idea of this but 90 games to go over (plus whatever great games were not on that list, Ive seen some really nice ones in the 4ncl and British) feels like a bit of a big project that I couldn't give an objective opinion in any sort of sensible timeframe.

What about breaking up the list into 'groups' and do one vote a week, like they do in football tournaments, a little more bitesized way to assimilate the data and keep everyone excited.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:48 am

I see where Joey is coming from, but I think the thing to do is to see this for what it is, a bit of fun, not to be taken too seriously. When I first saw Andrew’s post I thought of Tony Miles’ game against Spassky, the one in a Queens Indian where he put a knight on d7, and I see it is on he list, so gets my vote (game 61). Special mentions to Plaskett-Miles (game 68), and McShane-Carlsen, London 2010 (game 87). Hopefully Neil’s book will get a few more sales as a result of this campaign.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:24 am

Hi,

As Graham said it is just a piece fun whilst we wait for the Candidates. The idea of this thread came from the thread by Andrew who mentioned the book 'Memorable Games of British Chess.' The list is the index from that book so to play along just pick a game from
there. No need to go through ever game. I certainly didn't. I recognised a fair number od them but I knew it would be Nigel's game when I made a decision.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:38 am

Is that his famous "king walk" game?
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:51 am

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:47 am

I don't know exactly why but I've never found the Timman game very exciting.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:11 am

Are we allowed near-misses? The game Short nearly won against Kasparov in the 1993 match, and then lost on time (I think?), that was exciting. If he had found the right finish, would that have been one for the ages? Can anyone post that (or a link to it)?