Opponents who "helpfully" write their name on your scoresheet
Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:50 pm
We've mooted many annoying chess player habit on this format but I don't think this one has yet to be covered. I thought this habit was dying out pre-COVID but it seems to be making a resurgence with a couple of villains per month being found.
I have no problem with the opponent who asks "do you want me to fill in my name for you". A polite declination is given. If an opponent wants me to fill mine in I'm more than happy to, in small, neat capital letters. Their scoresheet, their choice. But several times this year I've turned up to find a name on my scoresheet. It might not be the full name (in which case what use is it). It might be in large letters rendering all the space full with no option to write the opposing club name (or, in once case, the result). It might look like it's been written by a very young child, in crayon, at night, using their non-dominant hand, rendering the activity valueless. I thought all these were bad enough until one of my team pointed out their opponent couldn't even spell their own name on one occasion...
But what can you do about this? If there's another board not started play I will swap my scoresheet with someone from the opposing teams. Their player, their problem. If not an option then I just hand the scoresheet back to the opponent requesting they get me a clean one. This year, though, all the opponents have continued to sit there with a gormless look on their face, crossed with the amazement cavemen must have felt seeing fire for the first time, that an opponent didn't actually want them to do this. Last match their entire team had that look on their faces and it was one of my team who fetched the replacement scoresheet. I wasn't going to.
But what do the laws of chess say on this matter? Strangely not explicitly covered although using preface 0.2 "it should be possible to reach a correct decision by studying analogous situations which are regulated in the Laws".
8.1.1 Gives "In the course of play each player is required to record his/her own moves and those of his/her opponent in the correct manner, move after move, as clearly and legibly as possible". I don't think it's too much of a stretch for this to mean each player is responsible for their own scoresheet (although obviously if a player wishes they only need to record the moves unless required by the competition)
8.1.1.1 Gives "by writing in the algebraic notation (Appendix C), on the paper ‘scoresheet’ prescribed for the competition". That's scoresheet prescribed, which would be an unused scoresheet as placed by the arbiter (or other person setting up the equipment) at the start of the game. If you don't assume this then one could put any sheet of paper on the board, even a black sheet or a sheet used in a previous game, and expect players to have to find a way to use it.
11.5 Gives "It is forbidden to distract or annoy the opponent in any manner whatsoever". This rule would cover this situation since (a) it's annoying and (b) it's a deliberate action by an player undertaken without their opponent's consent.
But is this severe enough to require penalties as given in 12.9? I'd say no if the perpetrator went and got the new scoresheet but yes if they just sit there and do nothing to rectify their illegal action.
I mean, at the very least, if they are going to be nice enough to write their name they could also be nice enough to have a pint waiting beside the board as well...
I have no problem with the opponent who asks "do you want me to fill in my name for you". A polite declination is given. If an opponent wants me to fill mine in I'm more than happy to, in small, neat capital letters. Their scoresheet, their choice. But several times this year I've turned up to find a name on my scoresheet. It might not be the full name (in which case what use is it). It might be in large letters rendering all the space full with no option to write the opposing club name (or, in once case, the result). It might look like it's been written by a very young child, in crayon, at night, using their non-dominant hand, rendering the activity valueless. I thought all these were bad enough until one of my team pointed out their opponent couldn't even spell their own name on one occasion...
But what can you do about this? If there's another board not started play I will swap my scoresheet with someone from the opposing teams. Their player, their problem. If not an option then I just hand the scoresheet back to the opponent requesting they get me a clean one. This year, though, all the opponents have continued to sit there with a gormless look on their face, crossed with the amazement cavemen must have felt seeing fire for the first time, that an opponent didn't actually want them to do this. Last match their entire team had that look on their faces and it was one of my team who fetched the replacement scoresheet. I wasn't going to.
But what do the laws of chess say on this matter? Strangely not explicitly covered although using preface 0.2 "it should be possible to reach a correct decision by studying analogous situations which are regulated in the Laws".
8.1.1 Gives "In the course of play each player is required to record his/her own moves and those of his/her opponent in the correct manner, move after move, as clearly and legibly as possible". I don't think it's too much of a stretch for this to mean each player is responsible for their own scoresheet (although obviously if a player wishes they only need to record the moves unless required by the competition)
8.1.1.1 Gives "by writing in the algebraic notation (Appendix C), on the paper ‘scoresheet’ prescribed for the competition". That's scoresheet prescribed, which would be an unused scoresheet as placed by the arbiter (or other person setting up the equipment) at the start of the game. If you don't assume this then one could put any sheet of paper on the board, even a black sheet or a sheet used in a previous game, and expect players to have to find a way to use it.
11.5 Gives "It is forbidden to distract or annoy the opponent in any manner whatsoever". This rule would cover this situation since (a) it's annoying and (b) it's a deliberate action by an player undertaken without their opponent's consent.
But is this severe enough to require penalties as given in 12.9? I'd say no if the perpetrator went and got the new scoresheet but yes if they just sit there and do nothing to rectify their illegal action.
I mean, at the very least, if they are going to be nice enough to write their name they could also be nice enough to have a pint waiting beside the board as well...