Lost Souls ?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul Habershon

Re: Lost Souls ?

Post by Paul Habershon » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:02 pm

Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:05 pm
Paul Habershon wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:22 am
Fairly sure that the David Sherman in question, whom I remember playing in a British Chess Championship in the 1960s, crossed mainly over to bridge in Essex. He still has a strong bridge grading and plays regularly with Peter Hasenson and Tracy Sherman. Don't know the relationship with Tracy. Curiously the grading list (NGS) has her as a Merseyside and Cheshire player.
I'm almost certain that the very strong bridge player called David Sherman (http://db.worldbridge.org/Repository/pe ... ryid=11653), who regularly plays with Tracy Sherman and Peter Hasenson, is not the strong chess player from Essex.

However I suspect that there is another bridge-playing David Sherman, who often partnered the late Margaret Curtis, who may well be the same person as the Essex chess player.
Yes indeed, Jon. I did look at the photograph of the stronger bridge-playing David Sherman and realised it wasn't the chess player. Glad you seem to have located another Essex David Sherman who plays bridge and is likely to be our man.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:30 am

The photo provided by Ian Hunnable identified tree people I knew well. Ivor Smith, David Sherman and Roland Payne.
I knew David Sherman before I ever played chess, as an 11 year old in 1950. We met up again in 1955 at a BH Wood Congress. It took a litle time for us to realise we had been friends before w went to secondary school.
He became a strong chess player and wrote a chess column in MAYFAIR MAGAZINE. I wrote the poker column for a somewhat shorter period. They got rid of both and the bridge column at the same time. Let us be honest. Our columns were not the reason people bought that magazine.
David was a weak poker player.
When we were still in contact, he still lived in Essex. He had become a strong bridge player. He worked in advertising. I would love to contact him again.

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:06 pm

James Pratt wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:00 pm
Kenny Harman asks me to ask whether Alan K May and Dave Sherman are still about.
Hi James,
Could you email me either yours or Kenny Harman's contact details? Dave Sherman is still around and I have a postal address and phone number for him (he doesn't use email). He would be happy to hear from people who knew him from his chess days.
Jon