Fujitsu as a Sponsor?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Upham

Fujitsu as a Sponsor?

Post by John Upham » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:54 am

I am aware of at least one event on February 21st 2004 that was part sponsored by Fujitsu.

Can you think of a chess event sponsored or part sponsored by Fujitsu?

I'm sure most of you will know that ICL was lead sponsor for the Hastings Congress many years ago.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Joey Stewart

Re: Fujitsu as a Sponsor?

Post by Joey Stewart » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:59 am

Pretty standard practise these days for evil corporations to attempt to "sports wash" away their horrible deeds with a paltry attempt to donate charitably (which in itself is a farce as they will claim it back as a tax write off, so it was money they never owned in the first place)

Still, it's not like good sponsors are forthcoming in the chess world, we have to take the blood money wherever possible or go wanting.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:40 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:59 am
Pretty standard practise these days for evil corporations to attempt to "sports wash" away their horrible deeds with a paltry attempt to donate charitably (which in itself is a farce as they will claim it back as a tax write off, so it was money they never owned in the first place)
Well, yes, charitable donations can be offset against corporation tax but in what sense is it "money they never owned in the first place" ?

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:06 am

They are making a supposedly charitable gesture but in reality they are paying for it with tax offsets, I.E. the public money, and taking the credit as though they did something really generous - true charity would be to give a donation out of company profits
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:19 am

Joey Stewart wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:06 am
They are making a supposedly charitable gesture but in reality they are paying for it with tax offsets
Only a quarter of it. The remaining 75% is coming out of company profits.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:27 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:19 am
Joey Stewart wrote:
They are making a supposedly charitable gesture but in reality they are paying for it with tax offsets
Only a quarter of it. The remaining 75% is coming out of company profits.
Exactly - my point earlier.

David Williams

Post by David Williams » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:19 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:
They are making a supposedly charitable gesture but in reality they are paying for it with tax offsets, I.E. the public money, and taking the credit as though they did something really generous - true charity would be to give a donation out of company profits
I assume when you make a charitable donation you do not tick the Gift Aid box, choosing instead to donate 25% more than you otherwise would have to make up the shortfall.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:29 pm

David Williams wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:19 pm
Joey Stewart wrote:
I assume when you make a charitable donation you do not tick the Gift Aid box, choosing instead to donate 25% more than you otherwise would have to make up the shortfall.
An excellent point well made David.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:57 pm

John Upham wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:29 pm
David Williams wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:19 pm
Joey Stewart wrote:
An excellent point well made David.
Yes, although Gift Aid relates to individuals' relief from income tax. That's distinct from companies' relief from corporation tax although in both cases, and contrary to what someone said and then repeated earlier, the greater part of the donation comes from the donor's own resources.

David Williams

Post by David Williams » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:03 pm

I think it's actually a common misconception that when something is 'written off against tax' that means reducing your tax bill by the amount you are paying for that something, leaving you no worse off. It's also perfectly understandable. That's the interpretation most people would give to the actual wording of the expression. It's just that it isn't true.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:33 am

Fujitsu as a Sponsor?

That is OK. Someone should approach them, they could do with some good PR just as long as they do not insist we use one of their programs to make the pairings.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:50 am

For those who do not know Fujitsu part sponsored the successful February 21st 2004 attempt to break the world simultaneous display record.

Other sponsors included:

Baxter Neumann
Meditor
The British Chess Federation