We should teach children darts not chess? Discuss.

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Kevin Williamson

Re: We should teach children darts not chess? Discuss.

Post by Kevin Williamson » Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:55 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:51 pm
Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:54 pm
Developing mental arithmetic skills?
I wonder how much knowledge of the common finishes in darts owes more to pattern-recognition skills than to mental arithmetic? Do the top darts players actually consciously calculate, or is it more likely ingrained in their memory the right combinations of triples, and doubles (or bull's-eyes)? I suppose the combinations are so many, that they have to be able to do some calculations.
I doubt there's much calculating going on by the top players. Every combination of three dart finish will be committed to memory along with two dart finish options if the first dart is not accurate. For example, in one leg Littler required 132. He went for the bull with the first dart knowing if he strayed into the 25 he still had a two dart finish. As it happened he got a bull, followed by another and double 16. Impressive. A much better test of mental arithmetic is when scoring ('chalking') a game, as not all venues will have electronic scoring. Making a mistake with that is embarrassing and may not go down well with the players.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:31 am

Darts only very recently got heavily monetised, if the bookies took the same level of heavy interest in chess and started showering events with prizes there would be just as much to be made in this game as well.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:45 am

I always find international darts heavily embarrassing; When we play the Germans they are all blonde, aryan athletes and on the Brit team, the average weight is 22 stone :roll:
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:11 pm

I am watching the the T.V. quiz programme 'Ridiculous' one of the contestants called Jack (not our Jack ) is on with his father Gavin. Jack says he comes from I think it was Devon and has played chess for his county. They are currently leading with £450.00.

Roland Kensdale

Post by Roland Kensdale » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:00 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:11 pm
I am watching the the T.V. quiz programme 'Ridiculous' one of the contestants called Jack (not our Jack ) is on with his father Gavin. Jack says he comes from I think it was Devon and has played chess for his county. They are currently leading with £450.00.
The episode is at https://www.itv.com/watch/riddiculous/1 ... a1886a0028 probably on stv player for anyone north of the border. Think Geoff meant to put this in the 'media comments on chess' thread.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:28 pm

OOPS! wrong thread.

Dies anybody know of the lad, he was pretty smart spotting the riddles, he got one in 10 seconds.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:39 pm

i play darts and chess and also involved in marking on the pro tour.

you need barry hearn to get involced in chess and was steve davis not one of our ex head of the BCF?
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well