Humorous article in "BCM", "Chess" or "Kingpin"

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Neville Twitchell

Humorous article in "BCM", "Chess" or "Kingpin"

Post by Neville Twitchell » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:14 am

This may seem a strange request but I have been trying to track down an article from either “BCM” or “Chess”, I think from the early 1980s, but possibly later, and I cannot locate it. It was essentially an article on opening theory but cast in the form of a humorous anecdote.
A stranger walks into a chess club and a regular member challenges him to a game but the stranger says he cannot play the game at all. The member says (rather implausibly) that the other will soon pick it up and they settle down to play. To the astonishment of the club member he is mated in a few moves, though the stranger says nothing and looks blank. The member sets up the pieces for a second game and once more he is mated in very short order, but as before the stranger is silent and unmoved. The member sets up the board for a third game and decides that since the stranger is obviously a tactical genius he will play for a slight endgame edge and exchanges queens when gets the chance, but the opponent then plays a ridiculous and illegal move in reply. “What’s the matter with you”, he protests, “don’t you know the rules?” “No”, replies the stranger. “I told you I don’t. I have just been copying your moves!”
Of course the first two games exemplified openings where slavish mirror image moves resulted in a swift victory for Black but I cannot remember what the openings were. Could somebody please point me to the relevant article, or even supply a copy?
Last edited by Neville Twitchell on Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonathan Rogers

Re: Humorous article in "BCM" or "Chess"

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:11 am

I wonder whether this was written by John Littlewood for KINGPIN. The victim was Baron [someone or other] who maintains that he never "really" lost those games ...

So, maybe look up the contents of past issues of KINGPIN, which you can do online.

Neville Twitchell

Re: Humorous article in "BCM" or "Chess"

Post by Neville Twitchell » Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:59 pm

Thanks Jonathan, I will try that all though my vague recollection is that it was in BCM or Chess.